• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next Generation Mathematics

People graduate from college, get a work, wife and house. Along with that comes children. They go to school and after 9 years they start high school. Their adults help them along with their school work, and realize that everything they been taught in school was meaningless. Shortly, derivatates, integrals, functions and matrices is worthless today. The youth are refering to this as superstitions and pranks. Todays school generation read my generations IQ test. That's modern math.

I want to talk about next generations math to have a clue. To keep along with the mathematical science.

I want to know what high school teach these days. Dinosaurs are Childrens fairy tale to modern youth, shortly an idea that's been coming along with dark ages stories about dragon haunters. When I got time I will go to the library and borrow modern schoolbooks. But I need feedback... That's this thread..

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
They go to school and after 9 years they start high school. Their adults help them along with their school work, and realize that everything they been taught in school was meaningless.
I won't go that far but no doubt that science. math, and technology is ahead of what's taught in schools, including in universities.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Jean Valjean said:
I want to know what high school teach these days.
It isn't that hard to find out. Mathwise, we have:

SAT / ACT Prep Online Guides and Tips

The High School Math Courses You Should Take

Standard High School Math Curriculum
Most high schools require students to take 3 years of math in order to graduate and recommend taking 4 years. These requirements often also include completing an algebra class and a geometry class.

Forty-five states have agreed to follow Common Core standards for math, which aim to create a more standardized math curriculum across the country. The Common Core standards state that six content categories should be covered in high school math classes:
  • Algebra
  • Functions
  • Modeling
  • Geometry
  • Statistics
  • Probability
However, these standards are very broad and don't specify which math concepts should be taught at which grade, so there is still a lot of differentiation among schools and among states.

For high school math, there is not a specific course you should be taking as a freshman, sophomore etc… Instead, there is a series of courses, and each student begins with the math class best suited for him/her, based on testing and prior math knowledge.

The typical order of math classes in high school is:
  • Algebra 1
  • Geometry
  • Algebra 2/Trigonometry
  • Pre-Calculus
  • Calculus

However, this order is definitely not set in stone. Some schools teach Algebra 1 and 2 back-to-back then move on to Geometry, some schools include Trigonometry with Geometry or Pre-Calculus instead of Algebra 2, and some students take Pre-Algebra or a similar course if they need to strengthen their math skills before taking Algebra 1. However, most high schools follow a course order similar to the one above for their math classes.

The math class you take freshman year will be chosen based on your previous math classes and any placement tests you may have taken before starting high school. So, if you already took Algebra 1 in 8th grade, you may be able to start with Geometry as a freshman and continue down the list from there. Also, not every high school student takes Pre-Calculus or Calculus.

source

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I won't go that far but no doubt that science. math, and technology is ahead of what's taught in schools, including in universities.
By default, due to the rapid progress of the above, it's near impossible to keep instruction on the bleeding edge. My guess is that is why we try to hone critical thinking skills. I could be wrong though. :)

There are many problem with reasoning like he did. He misunderstood me with intention to do so. And moreover, you informed me on mathematics that modern children adress as sorcery, magic, and superstitions. When you get children you will see what I mean.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
...He misunderstood me with intention to do so...
You are polite, however I don't appreciate your paranoid attitude. Metis is solid gold, and I hate to embarrass him by defending him but you need to let that attitude go before people start to get a negative impression. You also need to work on your English. It is hard to tell what you are talking about in between the jabs and the pricks.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, we could teach more graph theory to allow better understanding of computer networks, number theory to allow better understanding of cryptology (important for computer security), perhaps some abstract algebra (which is very different than high school algebra), along with computer programming from an early age and maybe some exposure to proofs and logical thinking by 6th grade. We could also add in a bit about automata and artificial languages to increase understanding of compilers and programming techniques. If you o anything related to fluid flow or turbulence, partial differential equations and some numerical analysis would be required. Functions and matrices are probably more important than ever, although they need to be taught in a different style.

The problem is that we would *still* need the understanding of arithmetic and algebra to even get off the ground. And, let's face it, most people (at least in the US) don't want to do the hard work of actually learning math.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
By default, due to the rapid progress of the above, it's near impossible to keep instruction on the bleeding edge. My guess is that is why we try to hone critical thinking skills. I could be wrong though. :)

Most of the math up through advanced undergraduate/beginning graduate level has been understood in depth for decades. To get to the 'bleeding edge' would be impossible at a high school.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
There are many problem with reasoning like he did. He misunderstood me with intention to do so. And moreover, you informed me on mathematics that modern children adress as sorcery, magic, and superstitions. When you get children you will see what I mean.

Perhaps you should start by writing in coherent sentences.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Most of the math up through advanced undergraduate/beginning graduate level has been understood in depth for decades. To get to the 'bleeding edge' would be impossible at a high school.
There is that too. Higher mathematics is simply to advanced for high school level. Heck, these days, kids are lucky if they can add 2 digits in their heads. :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am a linguistic gymnast, if you will, yet I'm having difficulty discerning any distinct meaning in the statement above. And... I'm well beyond the point of having children, LOL. So, no, I don't get what you are rambling on about. Could you dumb it down for us simpletons?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I said I would borrow modern elementry schoolbooks... This thread is for the feedback.
Though I would never discourage anyone from cracking open a book, I can't help but wonder if you are qualified to render an opinion of the teaching methods in an average text book. What I am getting at is if you don't understand the methodology the lessons may well be lost on you.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is that too. Higher mathematics is simply to advanced for high school level. Heck, these days, kids are lucky if they can add 2 digits in their heads. :)
Things must be bad in paradise.
When daughter was in high school less than a decade ago, they
were still teaching differential & integral calculus in public school.