• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newbie here...

timothy1027

Technology Advocate! :-)
I am a 63-year-old former "born again" Christian (Holy Roller).

I was born in 1959 & raised on Long Island, 40 miles from New York City. My parents were not religious. I was raised without any religion. My mother was an alcoholic. My father died from a heart attack when I was 12 years old.

In 1974, when I was 14, my best friend’s mother convinced me to enlist in some introductory religious training at a local Presbyterian Church. I was then baptized Christian.

In 1982 I became a "born again" Christian (Holy Roller). I then married another holy roller (Elisse) and had 2 kids.

In 1991 I was separated from Elisse after she got drunk with my alcoholic mother and the 2 ganged up on me one night with unprovoked harsh ridicule and criticism. Elisse was also an alcoholic (like my mother). We divorced in 1994.

In 1996 I started working 12-Step programs after destroying several motor vehicles while driving drunk. "The God of my understanding" enabled me to start thinking "outside the box" of Christianity. My "Higher Power" then helped me to adopt a life WITHOUT drug & alcohol use. I've been in recovery from addiction since 1996.

In 2017 after MANY negative experiences with NA "sponsors," I switched from 12-Step (spiritual) to SMART (secular) recovery programs and continued my recovery from addiction.

In 2022 I started exploring an "agnostic" worldview after many months of study, contemplation, TikTok and Facebook participation.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Welcome. There was a recent discussion about addiction and the religious sentiment in AA/NA was a part of the conversation. It would be interesting to hear you weigh in with your thoughts:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I was born in 1959 & raised on Long Island, 40 miles from New York City. My parents were not religious. I was raised without any religion. My mother was an alcoholic. My father died from a heart attack when I was 12 years old.

In 1974, when I was 14, my best friend’s mother convinced me to enlist in some introductory religious training at a local Presbyterian Church. I was then baptized Christian.

In 1982 I became a "born again" Christian (Holy Roller). I then married another holy roller (Elisse) and had 2 kids.

In 1991 I was separated from Elisse after she got drunk with my alcoholic mother and the 2 ganged up on me one night with unprovoked harsh ridicule and criticism. Elisse was also an alcoholic (like my mother). We divorced in 1994.

In 1996 I started working 12-Step programs after destroying several motor vehicles while driving drunk. "The God of my understanding" enabled me to start thinking "outside the box" of Christianity. My "Higher Power" then helped me to adopt a life WITHOUT drug & alcohol use. I've been in recovery from addiction since 1996.

In 2017 after MANY negative experiences with NA "sponsors," I switched from 12-Step (spiritual) to SMART (secular) recovery programs and continued my recovery from addiction.

In 2022 I started exploring an "agnostic" worldview after many months of study, contemplation, TikTok and Facebook participation.

Welcome again!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Greetings!
I do not envy people with interesting lives.
May your journey now have less trauma, but more.....
OIP.WwPM0iHdPz2YlLTe2TroDgHaE8

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I have quite a few things in common with you, family background, addictions and 12 step programs, but I'd rather not discuss those on the forum.

timothy1027

Technology Advocate! :-)
Welcome. There was a recent discussion about addiction and the religious sentiment in AA/NA was a part of the conversation. It would be interesting to hear you weigh in with your thoughts:

Following are some of my beliefs & opinions.

I would like to help reduce the chronic "relapse rate" with addiction. Based on my 26 years of experience with addiction, I've learned that there's not one solution that works for everyone. I think this is because of the diversity of humanity and the nature of addiction. People having trouble with addiction today should be able to chose the solution that works best for their particular set of variables. Today there are "multiple pathways" for recovery from addiction. They include, 12-Step (spiritual) and SMART (secular) recovery programs. These two programs cover ALL the world views on the planet. I've been in successful recovery from addiction (drug & alcohol free) since 1996.

I am a 63-year-old agnostic theist & freethinker who is in the process of deconstructing from Christianity. (Tim Barber updated 7/29/23).