• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You can wait, but what I believe is going to happen is the opposite...
You won't see that in your lifetime though.

Ahh one of those, you believe but will never know the truth because it wont happen in your lifetime. Methinks many people have said that over billions of lifetimes.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ahh one of those, you believe but will never know the truth because it wont happen in your lifetime. Methinks many people have said that over billions of lifetimes.
That's true, and it was true then, just as it is true now. ;)
I wish I could live to see it but I highly doubt it.

chris baron

Greetings chris.
Welcome to RF
Tom

Same reason all the people have white skin, I presume.
It wasn't always like that. The old RF logo had multi hued people.
Somebody "updated" the look a little while back.
~

I want to say something about your mention of skin color but i don't want to come across as belligerent. I am more light skinned in the winter than I am in the summer, does this alter my humanity at all? some people make a lot of white vs black or yellow or red. i don't really understand where this comes from.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I noticed that, and I thought it was probably just easier.... It takes longer to add the capitals. :D
Me, I am such a grammar freak, I could not do it.... I even correct the spelling in posts I am responding to if I see errors. :rolleyes:

I go by - would one want to see this in anything that people are likely to take seriously - but then I have always been a bit picky, having read so much. It tends to leak into one's brain. :D

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@chris baron ,

What about this one? It's one of my favorites.. a great way to start the day...

HaReini m'kabail alay mitzvos asai shel v'ahavtah l'rai'acha kamocha.

I'm guessing that there's something similar in the Qur'an?

----------------------------------------------

Just in case the non-Hebrew speakers want to know what we're talking about...

She-yibaneh beis hamikdash bi-m'heirah v'yameinu v'sein chelkeinu b'sorah-secha!!!
This is a very joyous part of the prayer service in Chabad Chassidus which is a specific branch of ultra-orthodox Judiasm that I call home. In its entirety it begins with Y'hi Ratzton Milphanecha, May it be your will, G-d, She-yibaneh beis hamikdash bi-m'heirah v'yameinu v'sein chelkeinu b'sorah-secha, the Temple will be rebuilt speedily in our days, and grant us a portion of your Torah. And there is a lot of singing, clapping, etc...
This is a proclamation that is said that the very beginning of the morning prayer service also in Chabad Chassidus. It means: I take on myself to complete the commandment to love your fellow as yourself.

Last edited:

chris baron

@chris baron ,

What about this one? It's one of my favorites.. a great way to start the day...

I'm guessing that there's something similar in the Qur'an?

im not sure what that means.

i like this one. YISHTABCH SHIMCHA L'AD MELKEINU!!! HA EIL HA MELECH HA GADOL V'HAQADOSH ...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
im not sure what that means.

i like this one. YISHTABCH SHIMCHA L'AD MELKEINU!!! HA EIL HA MELECH HA GADOL V'HAQADOSH ...
I edited the post to include a translation. Scroll up... I added the translation because, If I recall, there are a few non-Hebrew speaking members who don't appreciate it when quotes are given without the translation...

But yes ,Yistabach is also nice. It's the closing of the "verses of praise" and leads into the blessings of the Shema. I like the melody of this one as well.

For the non-Hebrew speakers, this one says: Praised the name forever, our king, the loving G-d, the Great Holy King. But the melody is somber and a touch nostalgic. At least that's how it is among my friends...

Last edited:

chris baron

I edited the post to include a translation. Scroll up... I added the translation because, If I recall, there are a few non-Hebrew speaking members who don't appreciate it when quotes are given without the translation...

But yes ,Yistabach is also nice. It's the closing of the "verses of praise" and leads into the blessings of the Shema. I like the melody of this one as well.

For the non-Hebrew speakers, this one says: Praised the name forever, our king, the loving G-d, the Great Holy King. But the melody is somber. At least that's how it is among my friends...

thanks for the translation. that is a very pleasant sentiment!!

yeah the melody is somber so beautiful though. i learned it at the chabad shul with the shabbos service.

blessed are you Lord our God King of the Worlds who gave the rooster the binah to distinguish b/w night and day

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
thanks for the translation. that is a very pleasant sentiment!!

yeah the melody is somber so beautiful though. i learned it at the chabad shul with the shabbos service.

blessed are you Lord our God King of the Worlds who gave the rooster the binah to distinguish b/w night and day
What are some of your favorites from the Qur'an?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I want to say something about your mention of skin color but i don't want to come across as belligerent. I am more light skinned in the winter than I am in the summer, does this alter my humanity at all? some people make a lot of white vs black or yellow or red. i don't really understand where this comes from.
Sorry I was unclear.
RF updated a lot of things awhile back.
One of them was the logo. The old one had decidedly multi-ethnic figures. I liked it better than this new one, for that reason.
But no big deal.
Tom

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That sort of belief comes from tribalism:

"He looks different from us, therefore he is evil and wrong".

It is a very primitive belief based upon ignorance.

And welcome to the forum.

chris baron

That sort of belief comes from tribalism:

"He looks different from us, therefore he is evil and wrong".

It is a very primitive belief based upon ignorance.

And welcome to the forum.

thanks for the welcome

tribalism threatens to shrink the universal nature of the Lord God Almighty into a tribal national mascot.
very primitive and regressive. only universal global Godliness can bring peace and cessation to all the misery on earth.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

thanks for the welcome

tribalism threatens to shrink the universal nature of the Lord God Almighty into a tribal national mascot.
very primitive and regressive. only universal global Godliness can bring peace and cessation to all the misery on earth.
I would disagree about the "Godliness" claim, but otherwise I agree. Education appears to be a more likely solution to me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
only universal global Godliness can bring peace and cessation to all the misery on earth.
I don't mean to sound belligerent, but I have not found this.

The problem is the lack of an objective standard for the term Godliness. Without such a standard people are strongly inclined to interpret it in rather self-serving ways. So I prefer a more objective, secular, moral code.
Tom

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I go by - would one want to see this in anything that people are likely to take seriously - but then I have always been a bit picky, having read so much. It tends to leak into one's brain. :D
But now that he has explained why he does not capitalize the word i, we can understand. :D