• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

chris baron

I would disagree about the "Godliness" claim, but otherwise I agree. Education appears to be a more likely solution to me.
secularism hasnt worked out very well
I don't mean to sound belligerent, but I have not found this.

The problem is the lack of an objective standard for the term Godliness. Without such a standard people are strongly inclined to interpret it in rather self-serving ways. So I prefer a more objective, secular, moral code.
Tom

doesnt the bible give us an objective standard for Godliness? isnt this what the bible is for?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
secularism hasnt worked out very well

doesnt the bible give us an objective standard for Godliness? isnt this what the bible is for?

I would disagree with you, but the place to debate this would be in appropriate threads in the forum. Once again, welcome to the forum. I look forward to discussions with you.

chris baron

Compared to what?
The Crusades? Cortez?
Tom
yeah. those are two good examples of secularism. people who fight over worldly matters and whose ambitions are worldly are secular even if they fly the banner of "religion". they can fly some corporate banner like "ford" or a religious one like "islam" they are the same thing since in neither case is the cause of Allah being pursued. the quran talks about such hypocrisy.

chris baron

I would disagree with you, but the place to debate this would be in appropriate threads in the forum. Once again, welcome to the forum. I look forward to discussions with you.

thanks for the welcome and the friendly words.

religious texts exist so that we may gain understanding of higher matters to elevate our souls and to elevate the world. a society, such as ours, which abandons these texts degenerates into materialism, social pathology and evil.

it's remarkable that humanity general speaking abhors spiritual guidance and rather embraces things that are corrosive, toxic, unhealthy and self destructive

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Does it strike you as odd that a person would draw attention to themselves with an idiosyncratic posting style, because ordinary style seems egotistical?
It does me.
Tom
I do not think that he did it in order to draw attention to himself, even if that is what happened.
I think he does it for the reason he stated.
I have read about people who never even use the word "I" because they think that is being self-centered.
I do not know how they communicate, it seems rather awkward.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
... how in the world did an introduction thread become commentary on writing style? o_O:rolleyes:

Oh yeah... welcome to RF @chris baron

... we do this here every day... :confused::eek::D

MonkeyFire

there is no such thing as billions of years. there is nothing on the face of the earth that is billions of years old. nothing lasts for billions of years. do you know of anything that can withstand the forces of erosion for billions of years? no.
the earth is young and that means time is not measured in billions of years rather it is measured in millenia and millenia count down to centuries, decades, years, months, weeks and the final hour very quickly.

Time is kept on a clock as you can't to forever. Like a circle is one shape occurring time after time forever.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
thanks for the welcome.
Yeah man... Of course.
did you meet rebbe schneerson when you were young?
No. I was actually in high school in Ohio in 94.

I'm actually just a baby in this world... The avatar is a picture I found when searching for "chassidic clown" on Google. I used to have my real pic as an avatar, but, switched it on a whim about a month ago.

chris baron

Yeah man... Of course.

No. I was actually in high school in Ohio in 94.

I'm actually just a baby in this world... The avatar is a picture I found when searching for "chassidic clown" on Google. I used to have my real pic as an avatar, but, switched it on a whim about a month ago.

oh. i thought you were old like me.

do you study chassidus and kabbalah?
have you read maimonides "guide for the perplexed"?

chris baron

Yes on Chassidus. Kabballah? I've heard of it... o_O:D

I've read small sections of it.

What about you? Chassidus? Maimonides? Any favorite books on Islam or Muhammad?

i only read quran during prayers these days so it takes a few months to go through it. i treat it like taking out the torah scroll during the shabbos shacharit service
i have read the sefer yetzirah. i have a copy of the bahir, skimmed through parts of that.
the guide for the perplexed is a bit heavy going but i read the 13 principles of faith and about the nature of prophecy and about the corporeality of God etc.
i have also been through the tanach a couple times and the story is etched onto my brain and hart.
other than that im no scholar at all.
oh yeah the gospel of barnabas is an important book as is the bhagavad gita and the gospel of the buddha.

NISHMAT KOL CHAI T'VARECH ET SHIMCHA!!! BARUCH HASHEM HAKADOSH BARUCH HU

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
sefer yetzirah
that's one of my favorites...

i have also been through the tanach a couple times and the story is etched onto my brain and hart.

then you have more knowledge than me. I haven't read the entire Tanach.

other than that im no scholar at all.

There's a story about the Ba'al Shem Tov on Yom Kippur that comes to mind. The punch-line is, The congregation had plenty of scholarship, but they needed a fool for their prayers to break-thru on the Holiest day of the year. ( If I am remembering correctly )

gospel of barnabas is an important book as is the bhagavad gita and the gospel of the buddha.

Cool... I have read a bit of Buddhist scripture, I'm a about a third of the way thru the bhagavad gita. And I've never heard of gospel of barnabas. Thanks for the tip on that.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I do not think that he did it in order to draw attention to himself, even if that is what happened.
I think he does it for the reason he stated.
I have read about people who never even use the word "I" because they think that is being self-centered.
I do not know how they communicate, it seems rather awkward.

Yeah but ………… he is now not capitalising all first letters of sentences …….... a true rebel! :eek: :D :D

PS Perhaps he is influenced by e e cummings - our English Language teacher put us on to him - and suggested any mistakes we made were just art (or artfulness). :D

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Especially when his rather typical views will get him anywhere he wants. :rolleyes:
It seems to me a tad bit rude to ask someone why they don't capitalize and then criticize them for the answer given.

The end result is: it shuts down the channel of communication, discourages diversity of membership here, and develops an echo chamber of like minded individuals instead. Is that what you want? It doesn't sound very good to me.