• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Frubal?

Would you like this new frubal?

• Yes! Add a prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • No, we have enough as it is.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Let's trade the angry frubal for the prayer/well wishes frubal.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
If I'm remembering this right, the angry frubal doesn't give a reaction point to whoever receives it, so it seems kind of pointless (unintentional pun, haha). So I wouldn't mind trading in that one. I sometimes wonder whether it's the post or the poster that made someone angry.

I've been using the friendly heart frubal not just to mean "friendly" but mostly to mean "empathy for you."

I think a new, different frubal to mean "prayers or well wishes or empathy for you" might be nice, but I wonder what kind of symbol that would be? I'd be uncomfortable with a "praying hands" symbol (if that is even being considered at all). Not only would that not be applicable for the atheists on the forum, it would also not be applicable for the theists among us who don't pray by joining both hands together and pointing them upward to heaven. I think only the Christians and Hindus pray with their hands that way?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If I'm remembering this right, the angry frubal doesn't give a reaction point to whoever receives it, so it seems kind of pointless (unintentional pun, haha). So I wouldn't mind trading in that one. I sometimes wonder whether it's the post or the poster that made someone angry.

I've been using the friendly heart frubal not just to mean "friendly" but mostly to mean "empathy for you."

I think a new, different frubal to mean "prayers or well wishes or empathy for you" might be nice, but I wonder what kind of symbol that would be? I'd be uncomfortable with a "praying hands" symbol (if that is even being considered at all). Not only would that not be applicable for the atheists on the forum, it would also not be applicable for the theists among us who don't pray by joining both hands together and pointing them upward to heaven. I think only the Christians and Hindus pray with their hands that way?
Interesting. I do not use the angry frubal very often at all. The only times I tend to use it is when someone posts something outrageous that obviously bothers him and I will use it to indicate that I feel the same.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But now I have the strong sense that you all have something very specific in mind and wanted a general buy-in before revealing it.
Yes. It is entirely the staff's fault that you make assumptions and decisions based on those assumptions without doing your due diligence and asking for details.

Please accept our sincere apologies.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
it would also not be applicable for the theists among us who don't pray by joining both hands together and pointing them upward to heaven. I think only the Christians and Hindus pray with their hands that way?
I don't, but is it really that much of a bother, though...?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd be uncomfortable with a "praying hands" symbol (if that is even being considered at all). Not only would that not be applicable for the atheists on the forum, it would also not be applicable for the theists among us who don't pray by joining both hands together and pointing them upward to heaven. I think only the Christians and Hindus pray with their hands that way?
I press my palms together in a "praying" gesture sometimes when greeting people and when meditating.

No prayer is performed while making this gesture. "Praying hands" is not exclusively done for prayer.

Are you familiar with Añjali Mudrā?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I press my palms together is a "praying" gesture sometimes when greeting people and when meditating.

No prayer is performed while making this gesture. "Praying hands" is not exclusively done for prayer.

Are you familiar with Añjali Mudrā?

I use the Anjali mudra as one of my grounding/anchoring gestures, along with various DBT techniques.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
It's about half secular.
I never said it was atheist. I wouldn't
want a forum with just their ilk. Ew.

It is the diversity of RF that I find most appealing. I don't consider it to be predominantly Christian, which is something that is important to me for personal reasons. I like that atheists and people of other religions are represented on the forum. My overall experience with these atheists and other non-Christian members has been relatively positive and enjoyable since I joined the forum two years ago. Being on RF has given me opportunities to learn about other religions, such as the Baháʼí Faith, because of @Trailblazer, who I now consider to be a friend. I also decided to practice Wicca and Druidry as a result of reading some posts by Wiccan and Druid members. Honestly, I've never participated in an internet forum that is as open to diverse religious beliefs as RF.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't, but is it really that much of a bother, though...?

I don't mean to offend, but I have encountered some people who say "I'll pray for you," and those words were said in either a condescending or sarcastic manner that messaged: "You need to see the light, so I'll pray for God to fix you."

On the other hand, I'm touched when someone says they will keep me in their prayers out of genuine empathy for me. I'm just uncomfortable with those who use prayer in the sort of passive-aggressive way that I described above, and I can see a "praying hands" frubal possibly being misused in that way.

Whatever is decided, I'll probably continue to use the "heart/friendly" frubal as a more universal symbol to express kindness/empathy for others.

P.S. Happy Birthday, @Trailblazer !

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's been stated several times, by staff and others, that abuse of the rating buttons are against the forum rules. So these continued fears of harassment and bullying are unnecessary.