• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New and primarily interested in posts relative to atheism.

Ann Wright

I was raised an Anglican and did all that I could to accept a belief in a supreme being. However, life's experiences and years of observation have long since led me to atheism. Still, when one undergoes indoctrination during their formative years, it's very difficult to get rid of. Thus, I'm constantly undergoing inner battle. Those who are religious tell me to remain with Christianity--best to hedge my bets so they say. But, I find that cowardly. Don't know the answer to my dilemma. I did, however, make a change in how I raised my youngsters. There was to be no religious teachings. The children were taught good ethics and the Golden Rule but Sunday school was a no-go in our home. That I don't regret.

The result? My son in his late teens chose religion and is religious to this day and naturally I respect that. My daughter chose atheism and she is adamant. I inculcated them in neither. It was to be their choice. I highly recommend it for the reason I originally stated.

By the way, does one have to be a paid member to post in any of the forums other than Introductions?.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
By the way, does one have to be a paid member to post in any of the forums other than Introductions?.
No go for it. I'm looking forward to the discussions. I am a believer in a type of Hinduism and not sure if you have an opinion about that. You might quickly see here that it is more than Christianity vs. Atheism. Welcome.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Greetings Ann. Very nice to meet you.
No requirements about paid membership. I'm not one. It does get rid of the advertising, though.
Welcome to RF.
Tom

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hi, @Ann Wright . Welcome to RF. I hope you enjoy the premises.

Not at all. Being a paying member spares you of some advertising, but makes no difference whatsoever on which areas you may post at.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you. Welcome.
[Someone good made this well interconected forum RF, same with us and universe]

Milton Platt

I was raised an Anglican and did all that I could to accept a belief in a supreme being. However, life's experiences and years of observation have long since led me to atheism. Still, when one undergoes indoctrination during their formative years, it's very difficult to get rid of. Thus, I'm constantly undergoing inner battle. Those who are religious tell me to remain with Christianity--best to hedge my bets so they say. But, I find that cowardly. Don't know the answer to my dilemma. I did, however, make a change in how I raised my youngsters. There was to be no religious teachings. The children were taught good ethics and the Golden Rule but Sunday school was a no-go in our home. That I don't regret.

The result? My son in his late teens chose religion and is religious to this day and naturally I respect that. My daughter chose atheism and she is adamant. I inculcated them in neither. It was to be their choice. I highly recommend it for the reason I originally stated.

If there was a Christian god, "hedging your bets" (pretending to believe) would seem absurd. You are actually going to trick an omniscient being? Look at two things. 1. the evidence for a god (none in the scientific sense) 2. Evidence against it's existence. Such as the very lack of substantial evidence for, or the inability of anyone to agree completely on which god is real, or to clearly define what the god is, or the fact that there is no evidence to demonstrate that anything other than natural laws account for anything we have come to understand about the universe so far.

Apologes

It's odd to hear a grown person still feeling conflicted about their long abandoned religion, especially since I know of other younger people who dropped out and never really looked back. :/

Welcome though, I'm new here too.