• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Net Neutrality, good bye internet.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I think you mean pre 90s. There was no internet in the 80s

Technically it's been around since the 60's, but it was not accessible by most people. Around the late 80's/early 90's, it started being developed into the modern internet we recognize today.

Technically it's been around since the 60's, but it was not accessible by most people. Around the late 80's/early 90's, it started being developed into the modern internet we recognize today.
Sure there was! Just not what it is today.

Are either of you even old enough to remember the 80s?

The world wide web didn't exist in any form before 1990 when arpanet got made public, before that we had dial in local BBS systems, and only Unix or w3.11 which only tech geeks could operate, of which there was very few.

The ''internet" wasn't for public consumption until 95/96 with the advent of win95.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

The world wide web didn't exist in any form before 1990 when arpanet got made public, before that we had dial in local BBS systems, and only Unix or w3.11 which only tech geeks could operate, of which there was very few.

The ''internet" wasn't for public consumption until 95/96 with the advent of win95.
Well, yes, but your initial comment claimed there wasn't an internet at all before the 90s. You are incorrect.

Enoch07

Premium Member

:rolleyes:

Nice way to contradict yourself.

Go play semantics somewhere else.

You are the one disputing historical facts. As @Quetzal pointed out.

You can live in your make believe world if you want, but we will stick to reality.
LOL you are hilarious. The reason that other dude didn't respond is because he realized he was wrong, just as you would if you bothered to do 5 minutes of research.

Here, let me get you started
Aug. 7, 1991: Ladies and Gentlemen, the World Wide Web

Again, there was no internet in the 80s.

Enoch07

Premium Member
LOL you are hilarious. The reason that other dude didn't respond is because he realized he was wrong, just as you would if you bothered to do 5 minutes of research.

Here, let me get you started
Aug. 7, 1991: Ladies and Gentlemen, the World Wide Web

Again, there was no internet in the 80s.

Then why did you say this?

before that we had dial in local BBS systems, and only Unix or w3.11 which only tech geeks could operate, of which there was very few.

Here is a timeline.
Internet history timeline
Early research and development:

Merging the networks and creating the Internet:

Commercialization, privatization, broader access leads to the modern Internet:

The net just didn't poof into existence, it was developed over many years. Many key features were developed in the 80's as you can see above.

Then why did you say this?

Here is a timeline.
Internet history timeline
Early research and development:

Merging the networks and creating the Internet:

Commercialization, privatization, broader access leads to the modern Internet:

The net just didn't poof into existence, it was developed over many years. Many key features were developed in the 80's as you can see above.
I'm not sure you understand the terminology here. A BBS isn't the internet, it's (was) a locally owned server you could call directly into with a modem.

Your list documents the history that lead to the internet, which went live in 1991 using arpanets infrastructure as a skeleton, which is all it was in the early 90s.

Yes, tcp/ip protocol(the language the net uses) existed before the 90s, yes computers could be networked even before that. No, the internet didn't exist before the 90s as arpanet was still a private military network.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The reason that other dude didn't respond is because he realized he was wrong, just as you would if you bothered to do 5 minutes of research.
If you argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. I decided I had better things to do.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I'm not sure you understand the terminology here. A BBS isn't the internet, it's (was) a locally owned server you could call directly into with a modem.

Your list documents the history that lead to the internet, which went live in 1991 using arpanets infrastructure as a skeleton, which is all it was in the early 90s.

Yes, tcp/ip protocol(the language the net uses) existed before the 90s, yes computers could be networked even before that. No, the internet didn't exist before the 90s as arpanet was still a private military network.
Lol, while I find this conversation extremely funny, are you all possibly using different definitions of a "internet?"

If you argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. I decided I had better things to do.
That is a very weak cop out, as I produced facts and references for everything I've said, and you have made only bald assertions. The one reference you provided didn't even support your claims(of a pre 90s internet).

You aren't very good at this game.