• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Net Neutrality, good bye internet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So.....net neutrality is dead.
Why is the internet still here?
Has anyone experienced any post-net neutrality changes?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Odd...one would expect that repealing net neutrality would remove red tape.
The FCC got itself into trouble, I think. But to answer your original question directly, no bad news yet. A small bump in the monthly fee this year, but that is an expected annoyance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Odd...one would expect that repealing net neutrality would remove red tape.
The red tape was mostly created by the telecom corporations themselves in order to obtain and maintain effective monopolies. They are the ones who want competition stifled because it means no one can challenge them, and on they go buying up every company they can.
The only thing net neutrality does is preserve simplicity by defining the internet as a utility, meaning equal access for all. This means cable companies can't make replace cable TV packages with "premium access to sites x,y, and z" packages, while for the smaller companies it can mean being charged extra for people to have unthrottled access to their site.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The red tape was mostly created by the telecom corporations themselves in order to obtain and maintain effective monopolies. They are the ones who want competition stifled because it means no one can challenge them, and on they go buying up every company they can.
What government red tape did these companies create?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A year ago they predicted....'
Hillary was a shoe in.
Trump would be Hitler.
The press would no longer be free.

And now....
The end of the internet.

I'll wager that a year from now, the internet will be just fine.
The internet still seems healthy.
Has anyone found the doomish & gloomish predictions to materialize?

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Which means endless paywalls and micro transactions just to access what had been free. Does this mean the end of the internet age? Will people go back to the old ways of the old days (pre-80's)?
Based on this, people should have gone back to free TV. But people pay a lot to see shows.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But will you do it when RF is not favored by your ISP and access speed is cut 75% unless you pay extra?

Such things like this are driving me further and further away from capitalism-as-we-know-it and more into radical government action to destroy large corporate dominance of the economy. For one, I want to see a corporate 'death penalty' enacted if a corporation is a person or corporate personhood abolished.
How is the prediction of the end of the internet going?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
How is the prediction of the end of the internet going?
I wrote
But will you do it when RF is not favored by your ISP and access speed is cut 75% unless you pay extra?

And of course, I did not write the "end of the internet" so that was a fake "news" quote.

The reality? Worse than I imagined at the time:

Net neutrality was repealed a year ago. The Vergecast explains what’s happened since.

The first thing that happened, and this is not insignificant, is about a year ago during the worst fire in California history, Verizon was throttling the Santa Clara County Fire Department’s broadband. And Verizon and the fire department engaged in a seven month discussion over whether Verizon ought to be throttling the fire department’s broadband in the middle of huge forest fires and eventually what Verizon said was they would stop throttling the broadband if the fire department paid more than double of what they were paying before for broadband and the fire department had no place to go.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wrote

And of course, I did not write the "end of the internet" so that was a fake "news" quote.

The reality? Worse than I imagined at the time:

Net neutrality was repealed a year ago. The Vergecast explains what’s happened since.

The first thing that happened, and this is not insignificant, is about a year ago during the worst fire in California history, Verizon was throttling the Santa Clara County Fire Department’s broadband. And Verizon and the fire department engaged in a seven month discussion over whether Verizon ought to be throttling the fire department’s broadband in the middle of huge forest fires and eventually what Verizon said was they would stop throttling the broadband if the fire department paid more than double of what they were paying before for broadband and the fire department had no place to go.
I forgot about that. It waa going on when I first moved here.