• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mythical" Creatures Believers

ArtMinded

I'm curious to know if there's anyone on this site that believes in the existence of any so-called "mythical" creatures (e.g. dragons, unicorns, mermaids, etc.). I myself believe in dragons (they're my favorite cryptid and favorite animal in general) and am open to the possible existence of others. Is there anyone else on this site that believes in any "mythical" creatures?

Holdasown

I'm curious to know if there's anyone on this site that believes in the existence of any so-called "mythical" creatures (e.g. dragons, unicorns, mermaids, etc.). I myself believe in dragons (they're my favorite cryptid and favorite animal in general) and am open to the possible existence of others. Is there anyone else on this site that believes in any "mythical" creatures?

I believe like the gods they exist on another plane and are creatures viewed by shaman/ witches when traveling.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I do believe that there are non-physical "creatures" who can be seen by the very innocent or very receptive.

My dogs, especially my female, often sit and stare at a certain spot high on the wall of the living room or bedroom, even when she is sitting in my lap. She doesn't look at it quizzically or make any movements, she just looks intently at it as if someone or something is talking to her. I ask her if she's seeing angels (Hindus have apsaras and gandharvas, they are celestial spiritual beings who hang out with the gods).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe a big foot, yeti or sasquatch creature could exist, I'm not ready to claim it does but there is enough reasons to believe it possible

Yep, same here. At the very least, I want to believe they exist. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe in what I have evidence of. I know of no credible reports of creatures like dragons and unicorns. Given that we've spread to every corner of the world, and often carry smart phones, I'd expect a breeding population of such large cryptoids would be pretty quickly discovered.

Odhran

I believe in what I have evidence of. I know of no credible reports of creatures like dragons and unicorns.

I don't know what you mean. We have the bones of the former and living specimens of the latter. What further evidence do you need??

Given that we've spread to every corner of the world, and often carry smart phones, I'd expect a breeding population of such large cryptoids would be pretty quickly discovered.

If a cryptid is discovered it ceases being a cryptid, of course. Thus no cryptid will ever be discovered, in that sense.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Confirmed dragon bones? Link please.
Living unicorns that aren't rhinos, narwhals or one-horned goats? Link to equine unicorn population, please.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I believe in what I have evidence of. I know of no credible reports of creatures like dragons and unicorns. Given that we've spread to every corner of the world, and often carry smart phones, I'd expect a breeding population of such large cryptoids would be pretty quickly discovered.
I don't believe nor claim that these creatures have physical bodies.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Do angels count as "mythical" creatures?

How about the Buraq?
Buraq - Wikipedia

David1967

Premium Member

I helped The Travel Channel do a documentary on Bigfoot in 2001. The producer and camera crew were from England. They were a riot to hang out with. Helped collect a lot of eye witness accounts and such. Not sure if they are real, but I do believe its a possibility.

Odhran

Living unicorns that aren't rhinos, narwhals or one-horned goats?

Ah, so you're one of those people. The ones who refuse to acknowledge the existence of real creatures because they did not perfectly fit your preconceived notions of what they should be.

I ask: Do you think panthers exist?

The medieval bestiaries were not 100% accurate about the appearance of the panther either, yet we in larger society are still willing to call the panther a "panther", even if it turns out not to have sweet-scented breath capable of luring in prey, as the medieval scholars described.

Yet society will not extend the same courtesy it gives to the panther to the other beasts that it was simply wrong about.

When it comes to people of the past we judge them as if they are either 100% right, or 100% wrong. We are forbidden, for whatever reason, to considering the likelihood that they are correct and incorrect. If the unicorn wasn't precisely what people assumed it looked like after the long game of telephone communicating the original beast to people in Europe, then we insist that the people of the past were 100% wrong and further insist that the unicorn does not exist, rather than assume the people of the past were only partially wrong, and the unicorn merely does not match the artistic interpretation of the described creature.

Society is so uncharitable to the people of the past. Unless the medieval bestiaries describe things with 100% accuracy we insist, naively, that the animal is thus fiction.

The only exceptions to this seem to be the panther and the walrus, two mythical animals who we acknowledge that the people of the past were partially correct on, while being also partially incorrect. Panthers and walruses, the only beings of myth that we are permitted to have a nuanced belief of.

fe9bd8dcf8feb683c40b725a3bd2dd6b.jpg

Rucheni_8.jpg

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When you say "exists," what do you mean by that?

I never ask the question "does X exist." Instead I ask the question "in what way do I experience and know X?" If I'm even able to ask the question "does X exist" it automatically exists on some level already and is a redundant question.

Do I experience what you call "mythical creatures" grazing on grass in my backyard in the apparent world? Of course not (and neither has anyone else).

Do I experience what you call "mythical creatures" in some other significant way that is meaningful to me? Absolutely. And in ways that are more meaningful than if they had a shallow literal existence that I wager you were referring to in the opening post. :D

Crossboard

Proverbs 41 describes the leviathan, an extinct creature that possessed dragon-like features. It evidently had the ability to ignite some sort of internal gases to the extent that it could be described as flames flashing forth.

Quite an impressive animal, and credible as far as I’m concerned. Hey, if the little bombardier beetle can expel a boiling spray at more than 200 degrees F., I wouldn’t put it past extinct animal on a larger scale.

But regardless, if you’re one who would rather fling the Bible against the wall, it’s still worth noting that legends of dragon creatures exist in cultures worldwide.

Either the idea of the dragon was derived from actual animals which are no longer around, or this similarly-described beast came from people’s imaginations living in separate regions. To me, the latter seems awfully coincidental, and the former seems more likely.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist

There are countless worlds and Universes in infinity.
Unless something is actually illogical, it exists.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do believe that there are non-physical "creatures" who can be seen by the very innocent or very receptive.
I remember my father telling me that every bottle of Irish whisky has a leprechaun in it. They're invisible most of the time, but there's a way you can see them: drink the whole bottle in one sitting and then look down the neck of the bottle.

Last edited: