• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My thoughts on the Romney’s Income Tax Returns and other points. Any rebuke

esmith

Veteran Member
We keep hearing those supporting Obama complaining about Romney’s Tax Returns. Here are the facts as I see them.
1. Romney is very well off; rich would be a valid statement
2. Romney has reported his income to the IRS
3. The IRS has not taken any action against Romney, therefore there are no legal discrepancies related to his Income Tax filings.

For you out there that say that Romney is hiding something illegal in his tax returns is a non-truth, see #3 above. The Obama supporters say that he used loopholes in the Tax Code to pay less tax. Granted he probably did, I am not saying he did or did not. However, in my opinion, if a person was too stupid to use legal means to pay less income tax I do not want him or her as my President. Let me ask this question: if you were making say $750,000.00 a year in regular income and $250,000.00 in capital gains, dividends, and interest would you pay approximately 44% of $750000 and approximately 15% of $250000 in taxes to the Federal Government? Or, would you hire a very smart tax account and reduce your tax burden? If you said pay the maximum either you are very stupid or extremely liberal.

Now let’s look at Obama.
This country is what is called “center right” on social and economic issues. Now Obama has refused to release his college transcripts. What is he hiding in these transcripts? Has he written papers that express his social and economic ideals that would be objectionable to the American public? Does his GPA show that he was lazy, non-motivated, lacking in various academic areas, or one or more of these? Just what is Obama afraid to bring to the light of day? As far as Obama’s leadership qualities…absolutely necessary for the President of the United States.

1. Obamacare, should have been called Pelosicare. Pelosi pushed Obama to back this, Rahm E. urged Obama not to “go big”…Pelosi won
2. It is reported that the decision to take out Osama bin Laden was cancelled three times on the advice of Valerie Jarrett. It appears that Obama runs everything past Valerie. She shows up at the National Security Meetings (hmmmm security leaks?).

tytlyf

Not Religious
President Obama released over a Decade of tax returns, as have previous Presidents.

It's standard procedure unless you know it'll put you in the *******.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky S

Christian Goth
We keep hearing those supporting Obama complaining about Romney’s Tax Returns. Here are the facts as I see them.
3. The IRS has not taken any action against Romney, therefore there are no legal discrepancies related to his Income Tax filings.

For you out there that say that Romney is hiding something illegal in his tax returns is a non-truth, see #3 above. The Obama supporters say that he used loopholes in the Tax Code to pay less tax. Granted he probably did, I am not saying he did or did not. However, in my opinion, if a person was too stupid to use legal means to pay less income tax I do not want him or her as my President. Let me ask this question: if you were making say $750,000.00 a year in regular income and $250,000.00 in capital gains, dividends, and interest would you pay approximately 44% of $750000 and approximately 15% of $250000 in taxes to the Federal Government? Or, would you hire a very smart tax account and reduce your tax burden? If you said pay the maximum either you are very stupid or extremely liberal.

Now let’s look at Obama.
This country is what is called “center right” on social and economic issues. Now Obama has refused to release his college transcripts. What is he hiding in these transcripts? Has he written papers that express his social and economic ideals that would be objectionable to the American public? Does his GPA show that he was lazy, non-motivated, lacking in various academic areas, or one or more of these? Just what is Obama afraid to bring to the light of day? As far as Obama’s leadership qualities…absolutely necessary for the President of the United States.

1. Obamacare, should have been called Pelosicare. Pelosi pushed Obama to back this, Rahm E. urged Obama not to “go big”…Pelosi won
2. It is reported that the decision to take out Osama bin Laden was cancelled three times on the advice of Valerie Jarrett. It appears that Obama runs everything past Valerie. She shows up at the National Security Meetings (hmmmm security leaks?).
According to the media, I guess am supposed to be more concerned with what Romney does with his money then what Obama does with my money...:sarcastic

esmith

Veteran Member
President Obama released over a Decade of tax returns, as have previous Presidents.

It's standard procedure unless you know it'll put you in the *******.

Typical Obama tactic: spin the facts to anything else but what was presented. FYI, just because other candidates have released more than 2 years of tax returns does not make it "standard procedure". You are afraid to face the facts that I put forth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alceste

Vagabond

Now let’s look at Obama.

Jeez, esmith. Do you know what a transcript shows? Grades. That's it. You don't get to read all their essays, for Pete's sake. Bush and Perry didn't release their transcripts, they were leaked, by people who thought (wrongly, to America's everlasting shame) that their mediocre scholastic accomplishments might hurt them, politically.

Nobody is accusing Romney of doing anything illegal, they just want to know what he's been paying in taxes, because they know they can hurt him with it, politically. It's completely legal for Americans with ridiculously high incomes to pay less in taxes than their secretaries, as a percentage of their annual income. THAT is what the opposition wants to hurt Romney with. They want to be able to say "Ooh, look at Romney, he only paid 5% in income tax last year and he wants to save another quarter million dollars!" Or whatever.

gnomon

Tax returns of Obama and Romney are the least of my concerns.

Over the last ten years when I started paying attention to instances of eminent domain abuses, asset forfeiture and the numerous drug laws across this nation a simple issue of rich people lying about their tax returns is not the most important. Neither of these candidates has adequately addressed the issues I'm discussing. Issues which involve a basic concept of being the President of the USA. Upholding the Constitution and protecting the rights of it's citizens.

So this is a political smokescreen. Have fun this election!

esmith

Veteran Member
Jeez, esmith. Do you know what a transcript shows? Grades. That's it. You don't get to read all their essays, for Pete's sake. Bush and Perry didn't release their transcripts, they were leaked, by people who thought (wrongly, to America's everlasting shame) that their mediocre scholastic accomplishments might hurt them, politically.
Yes I know that only enrollment data is included in the transcript. Basically I engaged fingers before engaging brain. It was wishful thinking on my part to be able to "look into Barry's thought process"

Alceste

Vagabond
Yes I know that only enrollment data is included in the transcript. Basically I engaged fingers before engaging brain. It was wishful thinking on my part to be able to "look into Barry's thought process"

Barry who? I'm lost! :eek:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Typical Obama tactic: spin the facts to anything else but what was presented. FYI, just because other candidates have released more than 2 years of tax returns does not make it "standard procedure". You are afraid to face the facts that I put forth.
So, in other words, you want Romney to be excused from doing something that the majority of candidates do (release at least a decade of tax returns), and you also want to create a conspiracy theory around Obama's refusal to do something that isn't normally done.

Talk about eating your cake and having it too!

Barry who? I'm lost! :eek:
Calling Obama "Barry" is sort of a strange taunt used by conservatives. Apparently, they find the fact that Obama went by a nickname as a young man, but chose to use his full name as an adult and in his professional career, to be suspicious.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Whatever. Why can't Mittens follow in his own Father's footsteps? He's hiding something and it's not pretty. Guaranteed! McCain saw his returns and that was enough for him to pick Queen Quitter $arah.

This is what Romney's father said decades ago.

"'The reason I put out 10 or 12 years [of returns] is that any single year might not tell you the whole story.'"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Whatever. Why can't Mittens follow in his own Father's footsteps?
It's disrecpectful to call the man by a funny first name.
It should be "Willard".

Hmmmm......maybe his real first name is even more disrespectful than "Mittens".
Willard_movie.jpg

That does it.....he's now "Willard" to me.

Alceste

Vagabond
So, in other words, you want Romney to be excused from doing something that the majority of candidates do (release at least a decade of tax returns), and you also want to create a conspiracy theory around Obama's refusal to do something that isn't normally done.

Talk about eating your cake and having it too!

Calling Obama "Barry" is sort of a strange taunt used by conservatives. Apparently, they find the fact that Obama went by a nickname as a young man, but chose to use his full name as an adult and in his professional career, to be suspicious.

Ah. Foam finger politics.

sarver-foam-finger1.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The opposition always has mocking names:
Tricky Dick
Ronnie Rayguns
Dubya
Slick Willie

So whaddaya think of calling Romney "Willard" (his first name)?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Here is a novel idea, how about we focus on the actual policies each campaign claims to support? You know, look at positions that are actually relevant to being president.

Alceste

Vagabond
Tricky Dick
Ronnie Rayguns
Dubya
Slick Willie

It's enough of a pain in the butt for me to remember one name per politician. Now I gotta learn extra names?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Tricky Dick
Ronnie Rayguns
Dubya
Slick Willie

Oh, no doubt. I haven't much experience with those other names, besides Dubya, but they, including the Willard and Mittens, just sound like plain old schoolyard taunting.

The Barry jibe, though, I remember distinctly being a conservative conspiracy theory talking point the last election around. Why would anyone go by a nickname when he was a child and then choose to use his full name as an adult? He must be up to something!

Here is a novel idea, how about we focus on the actual policies each campaign claims to support? You know, look at positions that are actually relevant to being president.
Okay, you first.

Though, while it certainly isn't the most relevant issue around, I do find Romney's refusal to disclose his tax returns interesting, and tangentally relevant to the whole tax debate going on in our country right now.

esmith

Veteran Member
Let me ask you just one simple question....Why do you want to see his tax returns, are you a expert on the Federal Tax code? Or do you just want to have the Obama campaign talk about something beside Obama's economic record?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Let me ask you just one simple question....Why do you want to see his tax returns, are you a expert on the Federal Tax code? Or do you just want to have the Obama campaign talk about something beside Obama's economic record?
Why do you want to see Obama's school papers and transcripts? Do you just want to have a Romney campaign talking point about something besides Romney's big government social micromanaging and abysmal budget plan ala Paul Ryan?

In the spirit of debate, I'll offer my reasons: I want Romney to be transparent as a candidate; providing tax returns has been a pretty standard thing for quite a while now. It's not like it's an extreme or unusual request; the only thing unusual is his refusal to release them. It makes me think that he's trying to hide something. I don't need to be a tax code expert; once he releases them, I'm sure that there will be plenty of tax code experts happy to peruse them on my behalf.

In addition, taxes, and how the burden should be distrubted, is an important and hot issue right now. This case simply highlights that relevant issue.