• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My story - From Christian to Atheist

RevOxley_501

So a few years ago when I was posting here I was still, for the most part, a Christian - but trying to get away from the title Christian because I was nearly constantly embarrassed by the actions of other folks that believed.

At that point this was one of my last posts here at RF.

This whole thing was brought on by a doubt in the innerrency in the Bible - little did I know my Christianity would soon pass away, however slowly.

I know this isn't always the case, but for me when I found myself capable of questioning the validity and authority of the Bible the idea of god became something I could also question. That doubt, coupled with a comprehensive understanding of the human psyche as it relates to religion and a desire to know god led me to ask God to lead me into a perfect understanding of him...and at the point I decided not to allow any sort of emotional appeal or desires to affect my beliefs because in my view those things skewed ones ability to rightly discern the truth. I wanted the truth, and my prayer was that god would provide it no matter how intensely painful it was.

As I slowly realized that my god was something that I had created - nothing more than an alter ego of myself, more an omnipotent imaginary friend than anything else my mental state began to deteriorate. Everything turned dark and I no longer felt like I was me - you see, unlike most Christians these days, my faith was not passive in any way. I lived my faith daily, I felt god around me every day and I prayed without ceasing - I had "Experienced" god in ways that other Christians would call undeniable evidence of his existence. A Christian was everything that I was and all that I had ever known, it was my identity.

For roughly two years I struggled with the concept that I had created God rather than the other way around - this was the first time that god had been silent or that I couldn't feel him in many years.

I hated myself for my doubt and more often than not the thing I most desired was to kill myself and end this confusion and pain. I couldn't talk to anyone about it because I simply didn't know the words to use to explain it- even my wife was in the dark as to what I was going through, she had no idea that I cried myself to sleep every night for months on end.

I was an emotional wreck.

I don't remember the date exactly - the whole situation kind of blurred together, but one night my wife and I were just talking and I told her that I didn't think I even believed in God anymore. I was shocked to find out that she too had endured some doubts - I literally felt the burden of the world lifted from my chest that night. Suddenly I felt OK with the idea that this life was all there was and that purpose was my own to create.

I'm not sure how often people go through a deconversion process that is as painful as mine was - from the many ex-christians I've talked to over the last 2 years since coming out I guess it must be pretty rare because often they explain it as a simple process that may take some time, but overall doesn't lead to any major emotional turmoil. I do know that it made me stronger in a lot of ways. I also know that once it was all said and done I was able to be happy without any sub-context being applied to it...and I truly was happy (and still am).

One of the worst parts about my deconversion was the feeling that no one had ever been through this at any time before...I know that's a silly thought now, but I felt that way none-the-less and it kept me from expressing what I was going through for a very long time - though at one point I found the awesome forums at ex-christian.net and they helped me become much more comfortable with this whole thing. Because I personally know the value of having someone to empathize with you during the darkest times of your life I think it is important to make it known that others have been there and that if neccessary there is someone you can confide in during times such as these.

Now, some of you more staunch Atheist veterans may think me silly for sharing this and for having such an emotional and mental attachment to something so silly as god....but the truth is that I did...and it is an experience that I can never discount or forget, so even if it may seem crazy or dumb in hindsight I think it's important to share.

Questions? Comments? Anyone ever go through a similar experience?

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
Now, some of you more staunch Atheist veterans may think me silly for sharing this and for having such an emotional and mental attachment to something so silly as god

Only as silly as someone who has stopped taking an addictive drug they were force-fed since birth. I.e. not that much, if at all.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Truth is not an attachment to what is not, it is the connection to what is.

You still have pretty far to go Rev0xley_501.

But congratulations on your attempt!

Though most people who say they convert are still theistic at heart...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yours sounds like the most traumatic conversion I've yet heard. I'll see
what I can do to move up the schedule to show you our secret handshake.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Now, some of you more staunch Atheist veterans may think me silly for sharing this and for having such an emotional and mental attachment to something so silly as god....but the truth is that I did...and it is an experience that I can never discount or forget, so even if it may seem crazy or dumb in hindsight I think it's important to share.
It's not silly at all. For many of us, our religious beliefs played an important role in shaping who we are and how we were raised. They are in a real sense the very lens through which we view all of life, through which we interpret every event. It's easy to see how attached we can get to this, and how traumatic and disorienting it can be when our lens shatters.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

There's nothing silly about it. I wasn't as attached to it as you were, but it definitely took a good bit of adjustment for me. I don't think God was as big a part of my life on a daily basis, so I had an easier time with the move to atheism, but it still took a while, and your attachment is certainly understandable. I'm glad you're happy now. That seems to be a common theme.

Orias

Left Hand Path
As you can see, there is plenty of people hear supporting your endevours :D. If it was silly, you would still believe in God :D.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Nothing silly about it. My own movement away from Christianity was traumatic, but in lesser obvious ways. I masked the pain even from myself, and was outwardly bitter and hostile toward others. That went on for about three years before I started practicing meditation regularly. Then the anger and hostility released, like letting go of a tight grip.

Have fun on the rest of your journey. Thank you so much sharing your path so far. :flower:

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had been born into a more religiously adherent family, what different things I would have experienced if I had parents who were strictly loyal to one religion and didn't variate from it. Would I have been so free to question my ties to the religion to which I belonged to for over 18 years? Would I have been so hung up by cognitive dissonance as I am now regarding organized religion in general? These are questions more or less that I ask myself everyday now.

RevOxley_501

Truth is not an attachment to what is not, it is the connection to what is.

You are correct so far as I can see...but it takes baby steps does it not?

You still have pretty far to go Rev0xley_501.

I'd argue that all of us do.

But congratulations on your attempt!

Well thanks, I think....

Though most people who say they convert are still theistic at heart...

I can see that as true, though I don't feel that is applicable to me at this point in my life.

For the record - I'm sure I am comparatively a neophyte - but the LHP had a considerable impact on my philosophy of life as both a Christian and as an unbeliever...but I think that may be a story for another day.

RevOxley_501

Yours sounds like the most traumatic conversion I've yet heard. I'll see
what I can do to move up the schedule to show you our secret handshake.

It was indeed traumatic - If I had to describe it I would say it was like watching my best friend and closest family member die right in front of me and then realizing that I was the one holding the knife.

When you literally hear god speak to you every day and it suddenly stops the mind becomes incredibly lonely.

(Yes, I probably was verifiabley insane)

It's not silly at all. For many of us, our religious beliefs played an important role in shaping who we are and how we were raised. They are in a real sense the very lens through which we view all of life, through which we interpret every event. It's easy to see how attached we can get to this, and how traumatic and disorienting it can be when our lens shatters.

precisely! :yes:

There's nothing silly about it. I wasn't as attached to it as you were, but it definitely took a good bit of adjustment for me. I don't think God was as big a part of my life on a daily basis, so I had an easier time with the move to atheism, but it still took a while, and your attachment is certainly understandable. I'm glad you're happy now. That seems to be a common theme.

Thank you, I am very much so.

Sirktas

Magician
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had been born into a more religiously adherent family, what different things I would have experienced if I had parents who were strictly loyal to one religion and didn't variate from it. Would I have been so free to question my ties to the religion to which I belonged to for over 18 years? Would I have been so hung up by cognitive dissonance as I am now regarding organized religion in general? These are questions more or less that I ask myself everyday now.

I think about that too.

I was raised by a non-religious family. I wasn't baptized. I've never gone to church. My father is an atheist.

RevOxley_501

I think about that too.

I was raised by a non-religious family. I wasn't baptized. I've never gone to church. My father is an atheist.

To be honest I was not truly raised in a very religious family...in fact I was very much the black sheep as a result of my fervent beliefs. I mean, yes I did go to church at a young age but it was sporadic at best - when I truly committed myself to my faith the only influence that was put on me was that of the Bible and my own self, I made the decision to follow it and believe it and my parents played a minimal role in my Christian walk (or much of anything to be honest).

Oddly enough some of the family members that I used to warn to turn away from their ways have become religiously fervent themselves....quite the role reversal.

However your points are very much valid, the fact is I was raised around Christianity...even though it wasn't pushed on me like it is most folks .... had it been Islam or something else I imagine the journey would have been along that road instead. I was, after all, raised in the Bible belt...

RevOxley_501

RevOxley

I have two questions
1: by creating a god you desired in your own mind, how did that make you realize that a TRUE God was not existent? Just because you could create a false god or just a concept of a god, how did that make you = that no God AT ALL exists?

I guess I should have explained that a little better.

The death of my own personal god was a slightly different event from accepting the likelihood that there is no God...however I don't believe I could have accepted that premise without first rejecting the god I had experienced and they both occurred at nearly the same time - so I guess that could be somewhat confusing.

Rejecting the god I had actually experienced opened up my logical faculties to the fact that there is no evidence of any god whatsoever...which is in essence what unifies most Atheists today, the evidence is lacking and therefore we do not believe. My worldview went from one that required no evidence to believe something to one that required empirical evidence before I could accept a concept. The lack of that evidence is the reason that I have arrived at the conclusion that there is no god unless of course evidence to the contrary comes up.

2: how did you manifest or manipulate this god that you created? Explain the “real” part for me?

The Real part of my experience with my personal god was the psychosomatic response that often occurred when I was in "communion" with him. This is where I start to sound crazy again, but I often physically trembled, spoke in tongues, saw manifestations of both demons and angels, and literally heard the voice of my god. Those events were manifestations of my created god that physical effects on my person. Does that make sense? (well of course it doesn't - but do you get what I'm saying?)

RevOxley_501

RevOxley

Do you mean that when you “realized” your god was not real, you stopped and thought for a moment that ANOTHER god could be real? Then you caught yourself and said “no, no god is real”? something like that?

I think that's simplifying it a bit.

When I realized that my own God wasn't real I recognized the need to hold any other possible god to the same standard. Upon doing so the likelihood of any god existing became very small...and remains so.

I have three questions
1: was your logical faculties not opened at all BEFORE you were an atheist?
2: why do you say there is NO evidence for the existence of God?
3: Define your standard of evidence?

1: Not to the same degree...nor was I at all open to the consideration that a god did not exist...that was completely unfathomable to me

2: Because as of yet there is not any evidence.

3: Empiricism.

I have two questions
1: So why did you change from not caring about “evidence” to now wanting “evidence”?
2: If you believed based on NO evidence, what made you believe or WHY did you CHOOSE to believe in the first place if you thought there was no evidence or reason to believe at all?

1: I recognized the importance of evidence in regards to all things. I also recognized the dangers of believing in something without evidence and the horrible places that it is capable of taking someone. The most reasonable approach to anything is based on logic and reason.

2: Faith. I shouldn't have to tell you that. Coupled with a need for purpose and understanding in matters that were out of my scope.

What do you personally mean by “psychosomatic”?

psy·cho·so·mat·ic (s
imacr.gif
lprime.gif
k
omacr.gif
-s
omacr.gif
-m
abreve.gif
t
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
k)adj.1. Of or relating to a disorder having physical symptoms but originating from mental or emotional causes.
2. Relating to or concerned with the influence of the mind on the body, especially with respect to disease.

SOURCE

Ok and how do you “know” that “you” created these manifestations and that these demons and angels and the audible voice of God did not TRULY take place?

This was more a matter of probability - is it more likely that I as an individual am experiencing the rare side effects of knowing the one true god or is it more likely that my mental faculties are pairing with my belief to cause these manifestations to occur.

The mind is incredibly powerful.

Yes, I get what your saying. But the part about it making sense, you thought it did not make sense that you were experiencing these things, but that you were creating them yourself. That part kinda don’t make sense to me, unless you can tell me how you can create those things yourself? I mean many people believe and have NOT experienced those things. How do you explain those people?

Those people likely don't have the amount of faith that i did...in cases of psychosomatic phenomena (Exorcism is one prime example) one's belief in a process is often what causes it to work. My faith began as a blind one and it was only confirmed by these experiences.

If lack of faith isn't the answer, perhaps these folks lack the smidgen of crazy that is required to start hearing voices from god? :run:

The Neo Nerd

Hey RevOxley,

Your journey is similar to mine.

It is good to hear someone express the same doubts that i did.

-Q

RevOxley
I think that's simplifying it a bit.
When I realized that my own God wasn't real I recognized the need to hold any other possible god to the same standard. Upon doing so the likelihood of any god existing became very small...and remains so.

But just because your god was made up, how can you hold all other gods to the same standard of being made up? Why do you believe that no god exists just because you have this standard that no god can exist? How do you know your standard is true?

1: Not to the same degree...nor was I at all open to the consideration that a god did not exist...that was completely unfathomable to me
I have two questions to this
1: do you think some believers in God are logical in there faculties just as much as you are NOW if not MORE? Why or why not?
2: why were you NOT open to the possibility that there was NO God when you were believing in God? Or why was the idea of no God unfathomable to you?
2: Because as of yet there is not any evidence.
3: Empiricism.

Define empiricism? Or give me more elaborate details on exactly what you mean and what you would want?

1: I recognized the importance of evidence in regards to all things. I also recognized the dangers of believing in something without evidence and the horrible places that it is capable of taking someone. The most reasonable approach to anything is based on logic and reason.

1: What made you realize the importance of evidence in regards to all things?
2: And why did you not realize that sooner?

2: Faith. I shouldn't have to tell you that.

Why shouldn’t you have to tell me that?

Coupled with a need for purpose and understanding in matters that were out of my scope.

1: do you still have a need for purpose and understanding?
2: is understanding STILL out of your scope? If yes, ok, if no, tell me your understanding?
3: have you found a NEW purpose? If so, what is it?
If no, do you believe that you HAVE a purpose? If so, what do you think it MAY be?
And if you think you have NO purpose, why do you think that?
psy·cho·so·mat·ic (s k -s -m t k)adj.1. Of or relating to a disorder having physical symptoms but originating from mental or emotional causes.
2. Relating to or concerned with the influence of the mind on the body, especially with respect to disease.
1: are you saying you had or have a mental disease? If so, are you saying that every person who has an experience with god/angels/demons has a disease? If yes, how do you know? If no, ok.
2: your saying the physical symptoms were caused by the mental mind or emotions, but what was the mental state and emotions caused by?
This was more a matter of probability - is it more likely that I as an individual am experiencing the rare side effects of knowing the one true god or is it more likely that my mental faculties are pairing with my belief to cause these manifestations to occur.
The mind is incredibly powerful.

1: How do you know which is more probable? One person can say it’s more probable that you had a real experience and you may say it was more probable that it was illusion. So how do you know which is more probable?
2: how do you know the mind is THAT powerful to create audible voices and apparitions?
3: how do you know these angels/demons/audible voice of God was not really going on THROUGH the mind and not just BY the mind? Sort of like saying you heard a sound go in your ear, but the ear did not CAUSE the sound, it was real, it just went THROUGH the ear.

Those people likely don't have the amount of faith that i did...in cases of psychosomatic phenomena (
Exorcism is one prime example) one's belief in a process is often what causes it to work. My faith began as a blind one and it was only confirmed by these experiences.

1: How did you get your faith to be bigger than others faith, when those others want the same amount of faith in order to experience these things?
2: also how do you know it was your faith that made delusional experiences and not real things happening because of your faith?

If lack of faith isn't the answer, perhaps these folks lack the smidgen of crazy that is required to start hearing voices from god?

1: Is a lack of faith the reason why they don’t experience? If so, how did you get your faith to be bigger then theres?
2: what about people who did not even TRY at all to exercise faith and they experienced stuff? Those cases exist, how do you look at them?
3: how do you know it is “crazy” to experience angels/demons/audible voice of God?
Also I read this book once and there is a interesting thing the author says in it. I will quote it here and ask you what you think of it, it referes to an experience. But it’s a coroborating experience, which gives credit to it being real and not just illusion.

“It was like any other week at youth group, when, during worship, the Lord asked me to do something. As I pressed in, the Lord told me I was holding a bucket and to go around and pour something over everyone. Feeling kind of silly, I went over to Jon and told him what the Lord had told me, and he just said to do it. I went around the whole church pouring something over people, thinking that I must look crazy. When I got back to Jon, I asked what he was seeing. I was amazed when he told me that there were two big angels on stage and that there was water running over the stage down onto the whole sancuary. The water was mixed with oil, and being only ankle deep even the people lying on the ground praising the Lord were not fully submersed in it. I was going around with the bucket actually scooping up this water and oil and washing it over everyone there. Even though I looked silly in the physical, I was doing something in the spirit realm that was much more profound. All that the Lord told me was that I had a bucket, but I believed and obeyed, and after hearing what was going on the spirit realm, I am so glad I followed.”

In the book he mentions a few other coroborating experiences. I myself had a few corroborating experiences. But anyway, how do you explain THOSE KIND of experiences? Remember, these kind are not like seeing an angel or hearing God, it’s TWO people hearing or seeing the same thing during the same experience or event.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Rev,

My story - From Christian to Atheist
Personally journeyed similarly and found * ATHEISM* is a good point to start the search and then the journey.
The introspection brought out that firstly one needs to study the self and find out "who am I" and then the whole perspective of *I* being a separate entity does not remain as what is, is part of the *whole* i.e. one is an unit of the same consciousness from to which it belongs. This view of separation itself is the *illusion/maya* that one keeps jumping from one view to another and never at rest.

However, wish you all the best.

Love & rgds