• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"My Son is Gay"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Betty said:
Just recently my son Bobby came out to me. I had been worried for awhile. His teachers said most of his grades were slipping and he seemed depressed and withdrawn.
Bobby said he'd been hiding it for awhile because he was afraid I would reject him. I sat him down and told him that I loved him and that God loved him, but that his salvation was in danger if he did not resist his unnatural tempations. I told him how being gay would mean he would live a shorter life, and that if he couldnt change his orientation he could be celibate like most the ex-gays are. He started crying saying something along the lines of "I knew you wouldnt understand! You're just like everyone else!" before running to his room and slamming the door.

What did I do wrong? I dont want to lose my son, but I fear I already have. I talked it over with his therapist, who had the ludicrous idea that homosexuality was unchangable and that trying to repress could lead to lots of psychological damage (I've dropped him and will try to be finding another therapist with more moral beliefs). I wouldnt be surprised if he's the one who's feeding my son all the homosexual propaganda about how its 'ok' to be gay. That, or how homosexuality has engulfed the media, making it seem 'cool' and 'hip' and how they were just another oppressed minority. You didnt have to worry about seeing two men making out on tv at my age! I dont want to sound like a fanatic, but Im worried what other effects will come out of this increasingly secular, immoral society obsessed with filth.
Am I too late? Or is it possible to save my son?

linwood

It was too late to save her son the moment he was born with her as a mother.

This is what I mean when I talk about religion being dangerous.

The only good thing about the whole deal is that Bobby is rejecting her beliefs right off the bat.

He`ll be ok as soon as he gets away from her, until then he just has to be strong.

Lightkeeper

I liked your replies to the people on that forum, Gerani. It is so sad that people think they can use fear to change people. Fear just drives any problem deeper and makes any kind of recovery difficult. The only way anything changes is through acceptance and love. You gave Betty good advice to support and love her son.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
It is her duty as a christian mother to lead her son away from sin. Yes, he needs love and support, but that does not mean telling him that something the Bible condemns is alright, he needs to know that his path is a danger to his future.

please pray for them! thx

I will, but somehow I do not believe it will be for the same reasons :p

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
linwood said:
This is what I mean when I talk about religion being dangerous.
I think I see what you mean.... The mother is acting on the basis of some very innacurate assumptions, which seem to come from her religion. One thing she did that especially gets to me for some reason is fire her son's therapist on the apparent grounds that she thought he (the therapist) was immoral. But the therapist was doing his job by telling her the truth so far as he knew it. And what does he get for that? Fired and even blamed for her son's homosexuality! This woman is really screwed up when it comes to understanding homosexuality, and a large measure of the fault for that probably has something to do with her religion.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
Sunstone said:
She doesn't want to sound like a fanatic???
"Too late!" she cried. :rolleyes: Although she did seem to be shying away from the advice of the "ex-gay" guy posting there...a plus in her favour. I feel sorry for that kid. My mum was just here (she's in town visiting, and will be back later this arvo), and I said to her "I'm so glad you're not a fundamental Christian nutcase, and you didn't try to 'convert' me", and I showed her that website. She laughed and made some comment about not being able to convert a paper bag lol. I'm mightily glad of that.

linwood

I hadn`t read the thread before since I really try to avoid fundamentalist forums.
But I just went and had a read and I want to echo Lightkeeper, Gerani your posts in there are calm cool collect non-biased or accusing and above all else seem to be a bright light in a sea of intolerance and despair.

Just being in there makes me feel kinda dirty.

It is her duty as a christian mother to lead her son away from sin.

In that case I thank God I was raised by a failed Catholic.
(That was a joke..the thank God part.:)

he needs to know that his path is a danger to his future.

False, I`m virtually surrounded by mostly happy self functioning homosexuals on a daily basis.
They don`t seem to be in any danger.

The people in that forum scare me.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
False, I`m virtually surrounded by mostly happy self functioning homosexuals on a daily basis.
They don`t seem to be in any danger.

Actually, True, not the immediate future, but the eternal after death future :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Psst: Death is usually permanent whether you're straight or gay. Haven't had anyone popping back to life within the past 2000 years.

linwood

Mister Emu said:
Actually, True, not the immediate future, but the eternal after death future :)

Naaaww..still false.

Even if I were to believe in eternity with the Christian God I wouldn`t submit to it without a fight.

One mans heaven is another mans hell.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, death does tend to take one out of the material world.

Yet, there is something beyond death, two somethings actually, two places to be more specific, one very joyous, the other rather painful.

We will all end up in one of these two places based on our descisions here on earth.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
There is a happy place to go after life where we recharge enough to be reborn, then we learn lessons in the life, and the next, and the next and so on for ever.

There, I said that. Does that make it true?

linwood

Yet, there is something beyond death, two somethings actually, two places to be more specific, one very joyous, the other rather painful.

So this boy we`ve been discussing ...if he acts on the very nature God gave him he will go to hell?

If God didn`t give him enough strength to deny his nature and live a miserable life denying what he is God will condemn him to eternal torment.

Cool choice either a tormented life or a tormented afterlife..

Lets run down this once more for fun.

God made him gay even thought God says it`s a sin to be actively homosexual.
If he is unable to restrain the urges God gave him it will be because God didn`t give him the strength to do so.

So God will send him to eternal hell.

It`s strange but some people have a hard time understanding why I dislike this God.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Linwood,

God does not make someone homosexual.

Jensa,

No, a book is not God, Jesus, the person whose teachings are recorded is.

Sunstone,

At what age?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Mister Emu said:
Linwood,

God does not make someone homosexual.
Then who does? I thought God made everything.

Jensa,

No, a book is not God, Jesus, the person whose teachings are recorded is.
Guh? Can you rephrase? Maybe I'm reading that awkwardly, but I'm not really understanding what you're saying.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Then who does? I thought God made everything.

God lets you be sinful, and if you come to Him, He will give you the strength to overcome it.

Guh? Can you rephrase? Maybe I'm reading that awkwardly, but I'm not really understanding what you're saying.

The Bible is not God.

Most of the Gosples are Jesus's words(which specifically state that there is a place where the fire doesn't go out, and the worm doesn't die). Jesus is God.