• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Religion is the Only Path

Is your religion the Only path to paradise?

• Yes, my religion is the only path to paradise

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No, there are many paths

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • I am in paradise right now on earth

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • There is no paradise

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters

Steve

joeboonda said:
The Bible is clear in its teaching that Jesus is the only way to heaven. Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven givenamong men; whereby we must be saved.
Jesus died and rose again to pay for my sins so I may be in God's holy presence, Muhammed, Moses, Zoroaster, Budha, Hari-Krishna, nor the Bab and Baha' u'llah did such a wonderful thing for me, nor with the power and authority and miracles following. Jesus is the only way, or he is a liar, and that is out of his character. I say this not to argue, or be narrow-minded, but because it is the truth, and must be proclaimed. PEACE!
I agree :clap

Christ alone made atonement for us, he alone dealt with our sin. The law Moses gave we couldnt meet, we have all sinned, the law demands justice and Christ fulfilled it for us.
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith - Galatians 3:24
Jesus alone made it possible for us to live in the presence of a Holy and just God without being consumed because of our sin. Gods Justice has been server on our behalf in Christ.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Steve said:
Jesus alone made it possible for us to live in the presence of a Holy and just God without being consumed because of our sin. Gods Justice has been server on our behalf in Christ.
And what do you believe will be the fate of the billions who died without ever even hearing of Jesus Christ? Did God just put them here on earth so that they might become eternal firewood?

Aqualung

Tasty
Katzpur said:
And what do you believe will be the fate of the billions who died without ever even hearing of Jesus Christ? Did God just put them here on earth so that they might become eternal firewood?
Well, you gotta have something to stoke the fire with!

joeboonda

Popeyesays said:
I do not believe in original sin.
Nor do I believe God will let this world order collapse without building it anew - or asking us to build it anew.
What is the purpose of revealed religion but to bring about the kingdom of God on this earth. Sure we will die as individuals, we will go on to the next life as individuals' but while we are here, let's build rather than destroy, hope rather than despair, do God's work rather than expect Him to do it for us?

Regards,
Scott
Hi, Romans 5:12 says: Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned;
Romans 5 teaches that by Adam we all inherited sin and therefore death, but that by one righteous man, Jesus sin was paid for. The chapter is quite beautiful and illuminating, worth a read. I agree with the rest of your quote, sounds good!

joeboonda

Popeyesays said:
I assure you I have no desire to argue, but I do not agree.
God's mercy flows down to all men. The way to that mercy is renewed from age to age since the time of Abraham.
"the Book of God assumed the form of a binding Covenant established by the Creator with Abraham, Patriarch and Prophet: "And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee."
(Commissioned by The Universal House of Justice, One Common Faith)

This continued on:
"One of its earliest and clearest expressions occurs in the Bhagavad-Gita: "I come, and go, and come. When Righteousness declines, O Bharata! When Wickedness is strong, I rise, from age to age, and take visible shape, and move a man with men, succouring the good, thrusting the evil back, and setting Virtue on her seat again.""

43 With the revelation of the Qur'án, the theme of the succession of the Messengers of God becomes central: "We believe in God, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham, Isma?il, Isaac, Jacob ... and that given to Moses and Jesus, and that given to (all) Prophets from their Lord...."44

"The point was made with memorable clarity by Jesus: "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."38 If one is not to see in this assertion merely a dogmatic challenge to other stages of the one ongoing process of Divine guidance, it is obviously the expression of the central truth of revealed religion: that access to the unknowable Reality that creates and sustains existence is possible only through awakening to the illumination shed from that Realm. One of the most cherished of the Qur'án's surihs takes up the metaphor: "God is the Light of the heavens and the earth.... Light upon Light! God doth guide whom He will to His Light.""

Regards,
Scott
I hear you Scott, and agree that God reveals himself to those who seek after him. Looking at Romans 5:13 it says For until the law sin was in the world; but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 9:41 If ye were blind, ye should have no sin, but now ye say, we see, therefore your sin remaineth. Then he went on to say that HE was the wy, that he would lay down his life for us, and if we accept that gift, we have eternal life freely.
So, God has revealed himself through the ages, men believe in God by faith, he will not hold one accountable that has not heard of Jesus' free gift, but, he who has heard, will be. God's revelation to man reaches its zenith with Jesus: John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. So to those who have heard the good news (gospel) and have not repented (turned) from 'their' way of 'earning' God's favor or salvation, and die in their sins, they are lost, the payment was made and they rejected it. John 3:17-18 says: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved; He that believeth on him is not condemned; but her that believeth not is condemned alaredady, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Popeyesays

joeboonda said:
I hear you Scott, and agree that God reveals himself to those who seek after him. Looking at Romans 5:13 it says For until the law sin was in the world; but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Jesus said to the Pharisees in John 9:41 If ye were blind, ye should have no sin, but now ye say, we see, therefore your sin remaineth. Then he went on to say that HE was the wy, that he would lay down his life for us, and if we accept that gift, we have eternal life freely.
So, God has revealed himself through the ages, men believe in God by faith, he will not hold one accountable that has not heard of Jesus' free gift, but, he who has heard, will be. God's revelation to man reaches its zenith with Jesus: John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. So to those who have heard the good news (gospel) and have not repented (turned) from 'their' way of 'earning' God's favor or salvation, and die in their sins, they are lost, the payment was made and they rejected it. John 3:17-18 says: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved; He that believeth on him is not condemned; but her that believeth not is condemned alaredady, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
I am glad that agreement is growing.

Who was Jesus and what does that mean in relation to the other Revealers of God?

"And when the days of Moses were ended, and 18 the light of Jesus, shining forth from the dayspring of the Spirit, encompassed the world, all the people of Israel arose in protest against Him. They clamoured that He Whose advent the Bible had foretold must needs promulgate and fulfil the laws of Moses, whereas this youthful Nazarene, who laid claim to the station of the divine Messiah, had annulled the law of divorce and of the sabbath day -- the most weighty of all the laws of Moses. Moreover, what of the signs of the Manifestation yet to come? These people of Israel are even unto the present day still expecting that Manifestation which the Bible hath foretold! How many Manifestations of Holiness, how many Revealers of the light everlasting, have appeared since the time of Moses, and yet Israel, wrapt in the densest veils of satanic fancy and false imaginings, is still expectant that the idol of her own handiwork will appear with such signs as she herself hath conceived!"
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 18)

"it is clear and manifest that when the fire of the love of Jesus consumed the veils of Jewish limitations, and His authority was made apparent and partially enforced, He the Revealer of the unseen Beauty, addressing one day His disciples, referred unto His passing, and, kindling in their hearts the fire of bereavement, said unto them: "I go away and come again unto you." And in another place He said: "I go and another will come Who will tell you all that I have not told you, and will fulfil all that I have said." Both these sayings have but one meaning, were you to ponder upon the Manifestations of the Unity of God with divine insight.
Every discerning observer will recognize that in the Dispensation of the Qur'án both the Book and the Cause of Jesus were confirmed. As to the matter of names, Muhammad, Himself, declared: "I 21 am Jesus." He recognized the truth of the signs, prophecies, and words of Jesus, and testified that they were all of God. In this sense, neither the person of Jesus nor His writings hath differed from that of Muhammad and of His holy Book, inasmuch as both have championed the Cause of God, uttered His praise, and revealed His commandments. Thus it is that Jesus, Himself, declared: "I go away and come again unto you." Consider the sun. Were it to say now, "I am the sun of yesterday," it would speak the truth. And should it, bearing the sequence of time in mind, claim to be other than that sun, it still would speak the truth. In like manner, if it be said that all the days are but one and the same, it is correct and true. And if it be said, with respect to their particular names and designations, that they differ, that again is true. For though they are the same, yet one doth recognize in each a separate designation, a specific attribute, a particular character. Conceive accordingly the distinction, variation, and unity characteristic of the various Manifestations of holiness, that thou mayest comprehend the allusions made by the creator of all names and attributes to the mysteries of distinction and unity, and discover the answer to thy question as to why 22 that everlasting Beauty should have, at sundry times, called Himself by different names and titles."
(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Iqan, p. 20)

Regards,
Scott

joeboonda

That is interesting, I prefer to stay focused on Jesus and preach him and him alone as the lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world, salvation is found in no other name but Jesus.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
joeboonda said:
That is interesting, I prefer to stay focused on Jesus and preach him and him alone as the lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world, salvation is found in no other name but Jesus.
In that case you should really start looking for another religion, because Jesus wasn't the man's name.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems to me that, just as there is no ideal human physical type, there can be no ideal human spiritual path. I see the profession that there is an ideal human spiritual path as naive.

joeboonda

Halcyon said:
In that case you should really start looking for another religion, because Jesus wasn't the man's name.
Acts 4:10,12 says Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now I don't know who you are talking about, but I am talking about Jesus, and I like my 'religion' ,although I don't like to use that word for it, just fine thanks.

Popeyesays

joeboonda said:
Acts 4:10,12 says Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Now I don't know who you are talking about, but I am talking about Jesus, and I like my 'religion' ,although I don't like to use that word for it, just fine thanks.
I think she means the fact that the name of Jesus, that He would have answered to when His mother called Him to dinner would have been "Yehoshua". There is no "Juh" sound in Hebrew or Aramaic. Even the name on the placard above His body on the cross did not say "Jesus" beause there was no letter "J" in Latin at the time. It would have read "IESUS" in Latin.

The Gospels were written in Greek not Aramaic.

Regards,
Scott

Smoke

Done here.
john313 said:
I thought it might be interesting to see how many people think their religion is the only path to paradise/heaven. i have heard many followers of different abrahamic religions say such things.

i personally believe there are many paths to paradise based mostly on a person's works.
None of the above. I tend to agree with Krishnamurti:
You may remember the story of how the devil and a friend of his were walking down the street, when they saw ahead of them a man stoop down and pick up something from the ground, look at it, and put it away in his pocket. The friend said to the devil, "What did that man pick up?" "He picked up a piece of Truth," said the devil. "That is a very bad business for you, then," said his friend. "Oh, not at all," the devil replied, "I am going to help him organize it."

I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path.

joeboonda

MidnightBlue said:
You may remember the story of how the devil and a friend of his were walking down the street, when they saw ahead of them a man stoop down and pick up something from the ground, look at it, and put it away in his pocket. The friend said to the devil, "What did that man pick up?" "He picked up a piece of Truth," said the devil. "That is a very bad business for you, then," said his friend. "Oh, not at all," the devil replied, "I am going to help him organize it."

I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path.

So, Jesus by saying, "I am the way the truth and the light, no man comes to the Father but by me, and His saying that, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." and the Old Testament saying you can find God if you look for him with all your heart, are you saying Jesus was lying or God was lying to us, that there is no truth and we can't find at least the truth that God has been kind enough to reveal to us if we just look?

maggie2

I personally believe that there as many paths to God as there are people. I believe we each must find and walk our own path and that others must find their paths as well.

As to the claim by Christians that Jesus is "THE way, the light and the truth", are you by chance aware that there was an Egyptian god who supposedly lived 3000 years before Christ who was named Horus. Here are some of the things that Horus said and that were believed about him:

1. Horus says he is the light of the world.
2. Horus is the plant, the shoot, Jesus says he is the 'vine'.
3. Horus was baptized with water by Anup, the Baptizer.
4. Horus was the 'Good Shepherd' with a crook and a lamb.
5. Horus identified with the cross.
6. Horus had 12 disciples.
7. Horus was born of a Virgin and his father was God.
8. A star announced his birth.
9. Horus was 'the Morning Star', as was Jesus.
10. Horus contended with Set (satin) on a high mountain.

So, let me ask you: How can you say that Jesus is the only way to God? The Christ story is as old as the hills and certainly older than Jesus. Jesus was not the first, and certainly not the only Messiah.

Smoke

Done here.
joeboonda said:
So, Jesus by saying, "I am the way the truth and the light, no man comes to the Father but by me, and His saying that, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." and the Old Testament saying you can find God if you look for him with all your heart, are you saying Jesus was lying or God was lying to us, that there is no truth and we can't find at least the truth that God has been kind enough to reveal to us if we just look?
I wasn't so much saying anything as quoting Krishnamurti. But if you read the quotation again, you can plainly see that he does not say we cannot know the truth, does not say Jesus is a liar, does not say God is a liar, and does not even say that Jesus cannot be "the way, the truth and the light."

In other words, no.

But you seem to object to the passage for some reason. Would you like to discuss what you find objectionable about it?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
MidnightBlue said:

The problem with Krishnamurti is that he's probably right.

joeboonda

maggie2 said:
I personally believe that there as many paths to God as there are people. I believe we each must find and walk our own path and that others must find their paths as well.

As to the claim by Christians that Jesus is "THE way, the light and the truth", are you by chance aware that there was an Egyptian god who supposedly lived 3000 years before Christ who was named Horus. Here are some of the things that Horus said and that were believed about him:

1. Horus says he is the light of the world.
2. Horus is the plant, the shoot, Jesus says he is the 'vine'.
3. Horus was baptized with water by Anup, the Baptizer.
4. Horus was the 'Good Shepherd' with a crook and a lamb.
5. Horus identified with the cross.
6. Horus had 12 disciples.
7. Horus was born of a Virgin and his father was God.
8. A star announced his birth.
9. Horus was 'the Morning Star', as was Jesus.
10. Horus contended with Set (satin) on a high mountain.

So, let me ask you: How can you say that Jesus is the only way to God? The Christ story is as old as the hills and certainly older than Jesus. Jesus was not the first, and certainly not the only Messiah.
Hi, I would have to research Horus, I somehow associate him with ancient egyptian sun-god worship, but would have to freshen up on it. Anyhow, I hope for you sake, that Jesus is not the only Messiah. He is the one I put my trust in anyway. I just believe the Bible and it says Jesus died and rose again for my sins, that there is no name under heaven by which men may be saved but Jesus. From my own studies, and experience, I have come to believe the Bible is God's word, and I believe in the good news it contains. That is just what I believe, that's all, just sharing it.

Sincerely,

Joeboonda

joeboonda

MidnightBlue said:
I wasn't so much saying anything as quoting Krishnamurti. But if you read the quotation again, you can plainly see that he does not say we cannot know the truth, does not say Jesus is a liar, does not say God is a liar, and does not even say that Jesus cannot be "the way, the truth and the light."

In other words, no.

But you seem to object to the passage for some reason. Would you like to discuss what you find objectionable about it?
Ah, sorry, it was an interesting passage, I agree with the first part, how the Devil wants to help the fellow 'organize' the truth, I would say 'twist' into a false religion of some sort. I was objecting to the idea that truth could not be found, or was passageless or something. Mainly, because Jesus said He is the Truth, I suppose. I agree that religion, what I call man's effort to become good enough to get into Heaven is not the way, Jesus, to me is the way, and the truth, and the light. His is a free gift, he paid dearly for, it is just the greatest thing I've ever heard, that God would die for me, that he loves me that much. I guess thats all I am looking for.

Sincerely,

Joeboonda

TheGreaterGame

I got a refreshing idea for all of my post-modern, liberal, polytheist, new age friends . . . that's not as boring as this "Ethno-centric" political correct junk, let's all get a long mentality- and its called "TRINITARIAN PROTESTANT EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANITY" . . . I mean its to easy and too boring to be on the side of "All Paths Lead to God" . . . don't you think? :] . . . If you want to be part of something radical why don't your try faith in a man who is God and who died and who was and is raised from the dead . . . that's more radical then Islam, Mormonism, the denial of or any other idea that people want to invent.

. . . oh and if you are a consistent in your belief in that everyones opinion is important and valid . . . then what I just said is just as true as anything you said . . . not that I subscribe to that :]