• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Religion is the Only Path

Is your religion the Only path to paradise?

• Yes, my religion is the only path to paradise

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • No, there are many paths

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • I am in paradise right now on earth

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • There is no paradise

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters

Smoke

Done here.
TheGreaterGame said:
I got a refreshing idea for all of my post-modern, liberal, polytheist, new age friends . . . that's not as boring as this "Ethno-centric" political correct junk, let's all get a long mentality- and its called "TRINITARIAN PROTESTANT EVANGELICAL CHRISTIANITY" . . .
Been there; done that; hated it.

TheGreaterGame said:
If you want to be part of something radical why don't your try faith in a man who is God and who died and who was and is raised from the dead . . . that's more radical then Islam, Mormonism, the denial of or any other idea that people want to invent.
Are you attempting to proselytize?

TheGreaterGame said:
. . . oh and if you are a consistent in your belief in that everyones opinion is important and valid . . . then what I just said is just as true as anything you said . . . not that I subscribe to that :]
All beliefs are not equally true, and not all opinions are valid. I have never known anyone, liberal or otherwise, who believed that they were.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
As 'heavy looking' religious debates frighten me, it was of no surprise for me to find I hadn't voted on this one; so now I have. "No, there are many paths" and I would include some from totally non Religious backgrounds.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't agree, YmirGF. While I think everyone has an equal right to their opinions, I don't see all opinions as being equally valid. For instance, Mr. Spinkles opinions on what is or isn't good science are likely to be more valid than mine. Just so, your opinions on the Canadian government are likely to be more valid than mine. Yet, we all have an equal right to our opinions.

For me, the validity of an opinion depends on its truthfulness. Some opinions contain more truth than others, and are therefore more valid than others.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I believe there are many paths, and God intended it that way. With the diversity of people and cultures, no one way is right. The path might be narrow, but their are many paths. Remember. judge not.. And this includes other people's religion.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I don't agree, YmirGF. While I think everyone has an equal right to their opinions, I don't see all opinions as being equally valid. For instance, Mr. Spinkles opinions on what is or isn't good science are likely to be more valid than mine. Just so, your opinions on the Canadian government are likely to be more valid than mine. Yet, we all have an equal right to our opinions.

For me, the validity of an opinion depends on its truthfulness. Some opinions contain more truth than others, and are therefore more valid than others.
That's an interesting thought Sunstone; that you base validity on 'personal truths'; does that mean that there are no hard and fast universal truths?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
michel said:
That's an interesting thought Sunstone; that you base validity on 'personal truths'; does that mean that there are no hard and fast universal truths?
I'm not sure how I've based validity on personal truths, Michel. That certainly was not my intention. Could you elaborate?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I'm not sure how I've based validity on personal truths, Michel. That certainly was not my intention. Could you elaborate?
Your previous post
Surely truthfulness is individual and personal ? (as in 'He is a tall man' would be a truism to me, because I am short, while to you (being six feet tall), it would not be a truism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
michel said:
Your previous post
Surely truthfulness is individual and personal ? (as in 'He is a tall man' would be a truism to me, because I am short, while to you (being six feet tall), it would not be a truism.
I see what you mean now. I think some truths are relative, but there are also universal truths. For instance, it is universally true that males cannot get pregnant.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
I see what you mean now. I think some truths are relative, but there are also universal truths. For instance, it is universally true that males cannot get pregnant.
O.K fair enough.:p

Edit: sorry, had to go back and see what we were discussing! Me and my non existant memory..........:biglaugh:

Smoke

Done here.
YmirGF said:
oh... and...
Ohhhh realllllly. My opinion is not as valid as your opinion? THAT is a new one. Tell me, who decides who is more valid? Hmmmm?

Every viewpoint is valid, if only to the person who enjoys that viewpoint. I may be cajoled into accepting that some viewpoints are more realistic than others, but they are certainly not more valid.
I will concede that if truth and reality don't any value, then all opinions must be equally valid. However, it's my opinion that truth and reality do have value.

Smoke

Done here.
YmirGF said:
Chuck McVeigh was correct to do what he did given the way he understood his world.
Charles Manson was correct to do what he did because of the way he looked at his world.

Two VERY extreme examples. But if they did not believe their ideas were correct, or valid, based on their own reasoning (or lack thereof) they would never have done what they did.

Am I sniffing glue again?

Please do not think I am saying what they did was ok. It was terrible.
I think you mean Tim McVeigh.

But if their ideas were valid, and they were correct to act as they did because of the way they understood things, how can you say their acts were terrible?