• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My OT class

Deut 13:1

dan said:
How you would say the phrase "3rd person singular non-gender"? How you would say the word "it"? What exactly are you asking?

You should already be aware that Hebrew has no neuter nouns, concrete or abstract. 3rd person singular masc. is hoo, 3rd person singular fem. is hee.
I am familiar with it, so much so, that I, already had pointed this out...

Now I could be wrong, but in my opinion and my understanding, the constant amount of male terms in Torah is a fault of the Hebrew Language. As you may or may not know, in hebrew, every noun is either male or female, and every verb has a male or female identifier with it. There is no such thing as a neutral term like "it". When a person is in doubt, go male. If there is a group of men and women, then the verbs go male. So when in doubt with HaShem, go male. Now, of course this doesn't mean that HaShem is a male, nor would you find me claiming such, it has more to do with the intrinsics of Hebrew.
Thank you for reiterating my point.

dan said:
If you think this is some kind of trick question then you're not very bright.
No, I'm responding to this comment made by the goof-ball that made this comment.

Again, the word he is not in the Hebrew bible, but in English it appears to be so.
Now you can dodge all you want and claim you were talking about x verse where he (who) doesn't appear, but from my perspective, you're claiming that "he" is never in the Hebrew Bible or the MT. Which is a very very ignoarnt claim.

dan said:
You're trying to make it sound like you know more than me about Hebrew, but your comma usage in this post testifies of your own need of further education in the English language. Whatever you've been intellectually breastfed over the Internet about Hebrew is probably untrue, as well.
Making fun of my english is a low-blow. English isn't my first language, so i'd appreciate it if you found something better to mock.

Aqualung

Tasty
nutshell said:
Has Isaac been born yet?
Yeah, he had. The story of Abraham sacrificing him is kind of boring. It just shows Abraham's turning point from being one who pretty much doesn't listen to god to one who does.

Here's something, though. God didn't like it when Abraham slept with Hagar. Why? Man was (once again) trying to take shortcuts. Instead of being patient and having faith that god would follow through with his covenant, Abraham decides to take matters into his own hands and sleep with younger Hagar. God doesn't like this, and once again tells Abraham to be patient, because his seed will be through Sarai, not Hagar.

i believe in tranquility said:
Aqua i refer to Genesis 1, because that is the "beginning", therefore whatelse that comes afer will refer to these original conceptions.
ba'hatkhaka would be "in the beggining".
be're**** comes from the word rishon, which means first, at the head of, first and foremost, ect...

Any other brilliant comments before Shabbat tomorrow? I want to leave with something funny.

dan said:
An Orthodox Jew engulfed in Torah study would have to be autistic not to know that Hebrew does not have a neuter anything.
I truly think you're retarded. This is my post on page 5...

Now I could be wrong, but in my opinion and my understanding, the constant amount of male terms in Torah is a fault of the Hebrew Language. As you may or may not know, in hebrew, every noun is either male or female, and every verb has a male or female identifier with it. There is no such thing as a neutral term like "it". When a person is in doubt, go male. If there is a group of men and women, then the verbs go male. So when in doubt with HaShem, go male. Now, of course this doesn't mean that HaShem is a male, nor would you find me claiming such, it has more to do with the intrinsics of Hebrew.
Now, if your not bright enough to pick up on when I'm mocking your rediculous comments, then just say so, and i'll try to not use big english words like big Deut does, especially when I have to look them up. ;)

Since you're so brilliant Dan, do tell me how in Hebrew, how I would say 3rd person singular non-gender.
Did you really not pick up on the *hint* of sarcasim.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Deut 13:1 said:
Making fun of my english is a low-blow. English isn't my first language, so i'd appreciate it if you found something better to mock.
It's all he has ... that and the most ludicrous pedantry.

Shalom, my friend. ;)

dan

Deut 13:1 said:
Did you really not pick up on the *hint* of sarcasim.
I did not pick up on any sarcasm, and I didn't read any of your other posts. I commented on a post and then got bombarded by people challanging my understanding of Hebrew. I apologize for misunderstanding.

dan said:
I did not pick up on any sarcasm, and I didn't read any of your other posts. I commented on a post and then got bombarded by people challanging my understanding of Hebrew. I apologize for misunderstanding.
It's probably because you posted something sooooo wrong, that even people who know zero hebrew think it was wrong...

Do you still stand by your original statement?

Again, the word he is not in the Hebrew bible, but in English it appears to be so.

ok sry bout taking a couple days...stuff happens

Back to Genesis 1:27 and the first creation story.

The translation of this verse in Hebrew (English style) is:

wayyibra elohim eth-naadam btsalmo btselem elohim bara otho zacar unqebah bara otham (pronounciation is obviously completely different: b's and v's are different..so on).

so as been stated before (a few pages ago or something like that), the literal translation of this passage from the hebrew bible is:

and created, god, the human in image; in image of god created him; male and female created them.

Now obviously in English this makes no sense. So for starters lets i'll add congugations to help describe what is here.

and (3rd person masculine singular) created, god, the human, in image (3rd person masculine singular possesive suffix); in image of god (3rd person masculine singular) created him; male and female (3rd person masculine singular) created them.

god: masculine plural but treated as masculine singular
human: masculine singular
him: 3rd masculine singular
them: 3rd masculine plural

NOW WHEN TRANSLATING THIS TEXT INTO ENGLISH, THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THE ENGLISH TRANSLATION TO MAKE GRAMMATICAL SENSE IS TO REPLACE THAT (3rd person masculine singular) WITH "he". NOTE: the WORD "HE" in Hebrew is:
הוּ
English would be like so: Hu

THIS WORD IS NOT In THIS PASSAGE OF THE BIBLE, THEREFORE we can assert that when we read Genisis 1:27- So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

Take out the he/his and you get no gender. THAT IS WHY I SAY THAT GOD HAS NO GENDER.

Squirt

i believe in tranquility said:
so as been stated before (a few pages ago or something like that), the literal translation of this passage from the hebrew bible is:

and created, god, the human in image; in image of god created him; male and female created them.

Now obviously in English this makes no sense.
It makes sense to me. God created the human image.

nutshell

As a professional translator, let me be the first to say texts are not to be translated literally...they are to be translated meaning to meaning.