• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My OT class

Aqualung

Tasty
Deut 13:1 said:
Maybe it's my English but from the way I read that, you basically are saying only through X can you get Y. Then you say the rest are X. Then you say X is bad. But then you say, through X you can't have Y.

what the hell...
Where did I say X was bad?

X comes before Y. You can't get to Y without going through X. You can't get to having a good relationship with God if you can't even have good relationships with your fellow men. You can see man, you know what he wants. It's a lot easier to have a relationship with a man than it is with god, which is why you need X to get to Y. I don't know where I say that X is bad.

Deut 13:1

Aqualung said:
Where did I say X was bad?

X comes before Y. You can't get to Y without going through X. You can't get to having a good relationship with God if you can't even have good relationships with your fellow men. You can see man, you know what he wants. It's a lot easier to have a relationship with a man than it is with god, which is why you need X to get to Y. I don't know where I say that X is bad.
X = Bold

Aqualung said:
It's only through proper man-to-man relationships that you can develop good man-to-god relationships. The rest of the ten are man-man relationships.
The ten are very bad for the people. People like taking short cuts, but God makes sure everybody knows that you can't shortcut the man-man relationships and still have a good man-god relationship.
Still don't get what you're saying.

Aqualung

Tasty
Oh, I see. The ten are very bad in that people don't like to follow them. They don't like that in order to have a relationship with god they have to be nice to others and have good relationships with others. It wasn't what they wanted from God. They wanted the easy way out, and God didn't give it to them. Thus, the ten are "bad." Does that make sense now?
\

Deut 13:1

Aqualung said:
Oh, I see. The ten are very bad in that people don't like to follow them. They don't like that in order to have a relationship with god they have to be nice to others and have good relationships with others. It wasn't what they wanted from God. They wanted the easy way out, and God didn't give it to them. Thus, the ten are "bad." Does that make sense now?
\
Sort of, but I'd like to see your evidence of why they disliked those ten commandments? Do you really think people wanted to murder and steal in order to have a relationship w/ G-d?

Aqualung

Tasty
Ask my teacher. I'm just typing up his lectures.

I don't put it above people to do all those things and still have a good relationship with God. Look at Cain. He murdered Abel to try to have a good relationship with God. He thought that if he could get Abel out of the way, then Cain would be the next best thing, so God would actually accept his sacrifice. Instead of working out his problems with Abel (improving the man-to-man relationship), which definitely would have made him closer to god, he tried to take the shortcut and just get Abel out of the way completely.

There's my evidence, but once again, your asking me to defend something that somebody proposed, which is somewhat difficult.