• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Opinion On Congressman Weiner

esmith

Veteran Member
Well it looks like Congressman Weiner has put his political credibility in jeopardy. What he did, as far as the pictures and texting goes, is his own private albatross. However, lying about the incident goes to far. It appears that his egotistical mindset convinced him that he could make the problem go away with what he perceives as his glib rhetoric and superior intelligence. Weiner used to be a creditable spokesperson for the progressives. However, with this incident hanging over his head he can not, or should not, be that spokesperson. From now on, if he goes before a camera the prevailing thought of the viewer will be "is he lying again". We know that Nancy Pelosi has called for a Ethics Probe of his actions and the Chairman of the RNC has called for his resignation(not much weight there). It would probably be in the best interest of the Democratic Party (read Nancy Pelosi) to call for him to resign. However, after watching and listing to Weiner's admission I can see a person that would never admit he was in the wrong. Yes he made a half-a** attempt to say he "takes the responsibility" for his actions, but this type of personality never will.

As far as I am concerned he should remain in his position and continue to be the albatross around the Democratic Party's neck:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Weiner learned the most powerful tool in politics - sincerity.
Once you can fake that, you've got it made.

A

angellous_evangellous

Honestly I think that powerful men should have their sexual indisgressions and not have to lie about it. Let the king have his harem.

A

angellous_evangellous

He didn't have to lie.
He just chose that option...& didn't execute it very well.

Yeah, but there's a strange culture of people caring about the sexual lives of politicians. It's wierd to me.

It's a result, I think, of a very poor understanding of history.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yeah, but there's a strange culture of people caring about the sexual lives of politicians. It's wierd to me.
They choose to live in a fishbowl.
To not behave accordingly, & then be disemboweled when caught is Darwinism at work.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight

I was discussing with a friend the psychology of our obsession with tearing public figures to shreds - Miley Cyrus was the topic at the time. Strange how we are shocked and disgusted EVERY SINGLE TIME there's a sexual incident.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
They choose to live in a fishbowl.
To not behave accordingly, & then be disemboweled when caught is Darwinism at work.

I don't think they need to or can behave differently than the rest of the population. I also don't think publicity should be a defining quality of a role model.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I was discussing with a friend the psychology of our obsession with tearing public figures to shreds - Miley Cyrus was the topic at the time. Strange how we are shocked and disgusted EVERY SINGLE TIME there's a sexual incident.
I think the average person on the street is least bothered with these scandals. The sensationalist media is to blame for this. Always in search for more ratings.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Gossip and drama is the true glue that holds society together.

esmith

Veteran Member
In my opinion the pictures and text is not the issue here, the issue I find fault with is his blatant actions to cover it up. He sounds more distraught over getting caught than the actions that lead to the entire issue. This man is an example of a person in power that thinks he can do no wrong as did Charles Rangel. Further example of Weiner's obvious superiority attitude can be found here:

I'm a Congressman the Laws do not apply to me

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This should be between the husband and wife. If he gets reelected fine. If not, so be it.

I don't care what he does, but I do have a problem that he lied about it.

What is very telling is, if this man was a Republican, people would want him gone pronto.

My question is: Is there a difference in acceptable standards in office between Democrats and Republicans?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
My question is: Is there a difference in acceptable standards in office between Democrats and Republicans?
This is not quite the right question, IMHO.

I think the right question is this: Do you as an individual voter hold congresscritters of different parties to different standards?

esmith

Veteran Member
This should be between the husband and wife. If he gets reelected fine. If not, so be it.

I don't care what he does, but I do have a problem that he lied about it.

What is very telling is, if this man was a Republican, people would want him gone pronto.

To the liberal media the answer is a definite yes; that is other than the comedians.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
To the liberal media the answer is a definite yes; that is other than the comedians.
I think we can say this is true of the media in general; the only real difference is in which political direction they slant.