• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Explanation Challenge

Tiberius

Can anyone give me an example of something where the best explanation was once a scientific explanation but now the best explanation is a spiritual one?

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
Can anyone give me an example of something where the best explanation was once a scientific explanation but now the best explanation is a spiritual one?

Can you give me an example of "the best explanation"?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

By "spiritual" do you mean "metaphysical"?

After all, science may have an explanation for cultural mythology, but spiritual explanations (using "spiritual" in the same sense as attitude, outlook, etc.) are far more satisfying, and thus for me, better.

Tiberius

Can you give me an example of "the best explanation"?

The best explanation is the one that explains the most and provides the most accurate data.

So Einstein's relativity is a better explanation for how objects move than Newtonian physics, for example.

Tiberius

By "spiritual" do you mean "metaphysical"?

After all, science may have an explanation for cultural mythology, but spiritual explanations (using "spiritual" in the same sense as attitude, outlook, etc.) are far more satisfying, and thus for me, better.

By a spiritual explanatio0n, I mean one that invokes a ghost, mythical creature or God. Something that is not testable from a scientific point of view.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
The best explanation is the one that explains the most and provides the most accurate data.

So Einstein's relativity is a better explanation for how objects move than Newtonian physics, for example.

By a spiritual explanatio0n, I mean one that invokes a ghost, mythical creature or God. Something that is not testable from a scientific point of view.

Ah. So "better" not being a preferential opinion but a measurable standard...

Nope. I got nothin'.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Yeah, explaining women scientifically hasnt been working for me and I logically had to resort back to demons as the explanation. Other than that, experience cant readily be explained scientifically. Not the act of seeing or feeling but the actual sensations, how is it that the universe can experience itself or experience at all?

nilsz

bzzt
There have been many distortions done in the name of science in order promote various ideologies and ideas of racial supremacy. If we consider such corruptions of the scientific process "science," then I would argue that there are many spiritual views that are more conducive to harmonious living.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Would the White Man's Burden (or similar imperalistic justifications) qualify?

I suppose they would be considered "scientifically supported" up until perhaps the late 19th century.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There have been many distortions done in the name of science in order promote various ideologies and ideas of racial supremacy. If we consider such corruptions of the scientific process "science," then I would argue that there are many spiritual views that are more conducive to harmonious living.

Is that so? Do you have an actual example?

Looncall

Yeah, explaining women scientifically hasnt been working for me and I logically had to resort back to demons as the explanation. Other than that, experience cant readily be explained scientifically. Not the act of seeing or feeling but the actual sensations, how is it that the universe can experience itself or experience at all?

The universe doesn't experience anything. Some objects in the universe do.

I think your distinction about sensations is just wordplay meant to sneak the supernatural in by the back door.

nilsz

bzzt
Is that so? Do you have an actual example?

If someone as knowledgable as you questions it, I suspect I have somehow misunderstood. Spiritual views that I think contrary to ideas of racial supremacy include "We are all equal in the eyes of God," and the undiscriminating hospitality you often see in traditional cultures.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The universe doesn't experience anything. Some objects in the universe do.

I think your distinction about sensations is just wordplay meant to sneak the supernatural in by the back door.

Thats like saying nature doesn't experience only humans do. When really humans are a part of nature.

I'm not trying to invoke the supernatural. I would just count 'being' as a sensation but calls for somewhat of a spiritual explanation.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

If by "data" you mean empirical evidence, your standard for "best explanation" is absolutely unfair given the question you're asking. You're basically saying "hey, something else other than science might be the best explanation, but it has to use the standards of science in order to qualify." This isn't making much sense to me.

Looncall

Thats like saying nature doesn't experience only humans do. When really humans are a part of nature.

I'm not trying to invoke the supernatural. I would just count 'being' as a sensation but calls for somewhat of a spiritual explanation.

Humans being part of nature and experiencing is not the same as nature, taken as a whole, experiencing.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Humans being part of nature and experiencing is not the same as nature, taken as a whole, experiencing.

I'm neither disputing nor agreeing, but...

in the case of colonial-type animals (Portuguese Man-o-wars, siphonophores, etc.), or in the case of hive-animals (ants, bees, etc.) would you say the entire collective can experience as a whole, or just the individuals?

nazz

Doubting Thomas

Science is the best method we have for explaining the physical world. It can't address the non-physical which is what spirituality is about.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

The problem with your question is the words 'best explanation'. Who makes that determination? If it's materialist scientists they will never say a spiritual explanation is better; so you're asking for the impossible.

How about Near-Death Experiences. There are a slew of scientific explanations but they have not proved to be satisfactory and a spiritual explanation is now an objectively better explanation. Things like oxygen-deprivation were given as reasons but have now been ruled not a satisfactory explanation.

Let me say this is my considered objective opinion on the 'best explanation'. Debates on these experiences have been done to death on RF and I will not get sucked into a debate on this thread :D

ladybug77

Awe....by george i think ive got it!! YOU ASKING THE QUESTION...is the best evidence. Once we thought explaining threw science...as to why YOUR MIND asks this question. Problem is...science could never find the actual origin of this ENTIRE thought of 'spirituality'. Therefore...something UNSEEN that science cant explain...caused this question itself to surface...its evidence at its best! Thanks for asking the question. :)