• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Defination of Relgion and Faith

Burl

The fact of the matter is that you personally haven't received evidence of a superhuman controlling power. Another fact is that we cannot prove that someone else hasn't.

Logical Fallacy

Appeal to Ignorance

Assuming that a claim is true because it has not been or cannot be proven false, or vice versa.
" If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it," which, of course, is testimony supporting the premise such as your opening statement in this thread.

Hawkins

Religion exist and will continue to exist because we don't know what lies ahead of us, that is, after our physical death.

So the 2 main human camps are ;

1) those who believe with faith that nothing serious would happen
2) those who believe with faith that something would happen

Everyone will in the end fall into one of the above. People from both camps have faith about 'what would happen'. A religion refers to a common belief of a large group of humans basing off (or further divided from) these 2 camps.

Last edited:
Religion exist and will continue to exist because we don't know what lies ahead of us, that is, after our physical death.

So the 2 main human camps are ;

1) those who believe with faith that nothing serious would happen
2) those who believe with faith that something would happen

Everyone will in the end fall into one of the above. People from both camps have faith about 'what would happen'. A religion refers to a common belief of a large group of humans basing off (or further divided from) these 2 camps.

No.

I do not know, or claim to know.

So where does that put me?

Burl

If you do think your religion is based on logic then please try to show it here.

The fact of the matter is that you personally haven't received evidence of a superhuman controlling power. Another fact is that we cannot prove that someone else hasn't.

Logical Fallacy

Appeal to Ignorance

Assuming that a claim is true because it has not been or cannot be proven false, or vice versa.

" If there is positive evidence for the conclusion, then of course we have other reasons for accepting it," which, of course, is testimony supporting the premise such as your opening statement in this thread.

Where is the positive evidence?

The statement that evidence of a superhuman controlling power is illogical.

gnostic

The Lost One
Is not the belief in objective truth itself potentially a dogma?
Sorry, but all beliefs are subjective in nature.

Beliefs are like personal opinions, and opnions are subjective IF they don't exist beyond the personal experiences and personal reasonings for holding their belief.

Bhairava

Philosophy is something you entertain and religion is a philosophy you believe; as in you live your life by it. So really in HS my religion was nihilism since it was a philosophy I truly believed. I define it as such cause not all religions believe in god.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I don't really use the term 'religion' much. I use the term 'worship'. We all worship something (i.e. trust). People like the OP worship their own understanding of the world above all else. They worship their own ability to reason and their own intellect above all else. Sometimes, and this is not a reflection of my opinion of the OPs intellect in particular, I wish people knew how much horsepower they had under the hood. They might be more inclined to blind faith. Here's is what I believe is self evident: that there is a creator that made everything. Only a hardened heart rejects that imo. The stuff about Jesus is basically personal revelation imo.

Burl

They worship their own ability to reason and their own intellect above all else.
This is true for everyone to some extent; for those of us who reject: "We'll take care of each other, and sleep together in a real pile," (Quote from Where The Wild Things Are)

Demonslayer

I don't really use the term 'religion' much. I use the term 'worship'. We all worship something (i.e. trust).

UGH, I hate the word "worship." We don't all worship something, I hate the term and the entire idea of worshiping something. I don't worship anything, it's a word that demeans the person doing the worshiping if you ask me.

People like the OP worship their own understanding of the world above all else. They worship their own ability to reason and their own intellect above all else.

It's a poor use of the word. Just because someone doesn't believe in God, doesn't mean they are arrogant. That's what you're saying here, someone who "worships their own understanding of the world" is arrogant. You can have a certain understanding of the world and believe you are correct, without "worshiping" anything.

Sometimes, and this is not a reflection of my opinion of the OPs intellect in particular, I wish people knew how much horsepower they had under the hood. They might be more inclined to blind faith.

How would increased intellect lead to MORE blind faith? We see the opposite if you want to look at the statistics.

Here's is what I believe is self evident: that there is a creator that made everything. Only a hardened heart rejects that imo.

Egads, this old chestnut. There is nothing less self-evident than a 'creator who made everything.' In fact fewer and fewer people every year believe in such a thing. The old idea of a creator deity is rapidly fading. The only reason you believe it is because you were raised to believe it.

You suggested arrogance in the OP, in that he "worships his own understanding of the world." Isn't that exactly what have you done here? You have stated your personal understanding of the world and then labeled it "self-evident" as if everyone should see it your way. As if your understanding of the world is so obviously correct that everyone should easily see it. In fact, those who don't see it your way have a "hardened heart", right? How are you not behaving in the same way as you accuse the OP? How are you not worshiping your personal understanding of the world?

Hawkins

No.

I do not know, or claim to know.

So where does that put me?

When an atheistic old man lying in hospital and still can have a peace of mind even after knowing that he's going to die soon. What leads to this peace of mind?

Is it because he doesn't know what would happen after death or is it because in his faith that nothing would happen after death.

You have a religion without your own consent. That's the situation!

It's more or less like when you are tied up in a track of trains. "Don't know whether a train will be coming" won't give you any peace of mind. Only your faith with the belief that the track is no longer used and thus no train coming can bring you the peace of mind.

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
When an atheistic old man lying in hospital and still can have a peace of mind even after knowing that he's going to die soon. What leads to this peace of mind?

Is it because he doesn't know what would happen after death or is it because in his faith that nothing would happen after death.
Or it could be that, regardless of whether or not there is a life after death, they feel that they have lead a good life and will leave the world having made it a better place than before they existed in it?

Just a thought.

You have a religion without your own consent. That's the situation!
Not really.