• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Defination of Relgion and Faith

Burl

1) Belief that certain objects are sacred and some are profane without a logical basis.

Paid memberships are sacred and non paying members are profane is the equivalent logical basis.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I doubt paying members are cut any slack over non-paying members.
Rulz iz rulz.

Burl

Thus proving that certain 'objects' are sacred and some are profane with a logical basis.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well. Ima try to answer this question; but, I'll use the Webster dictionary. (Since definition you have seem to be the first off Wiki/google) I don't care for Wikipedia. It can be changed often and sometimes its just flat out wrong factually.

These definitions left quite a stir in another thread, with many claiming there religion is indeed based on logic.

If you do think your religion is based on logic then please try to show it here.

On that note, although I define religion a bit less strict then this, this is what it says:

1- The service and worship of God or the supernatural

2- Commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

3- A personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4- A cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Mind you, religions do not have to have all of these characteristics. If that be the case, a person who worships alone doesn't have a religion while another person like a Buddhist who doesn't believe in god are too not religious. However, both are wrong. You don't have to be in a "group" to be religious. That's just one of the many definitions in the right context that can be applied if appropriate to a religious or even non-religious conversation. i.e. "That person loves to play basket ball religiously" type of thing.

Loosen up on the definitions. Religion isn't about that.

That said....

1- Buddhism is a religion. It's a lifestyle and cultural practices that are not based on worship and has no deity. Instead, religion in their context would be the Sangha. The community of believes. The Dharma. The teachings (not rigid dogma) The Buddha, historical one.

It makes perfect and hundred percent logical sense. To take out the jargon, life is a cycle. What is born, grows, ages, and passes on to grow again. See the seasons, the moon, the sun, the earth. Humans are no different in regards to being a part of this cycle.

Rebirth is just, in layman's terms, being comfortable with life and death as one continuing rather than an either or state. Think of the psychological view of how we grieve. We are angry/upset, we are in denial, (forgot the third one), then we are at acceptance (experienced this myself almost recently). Meditation and so forth are ways to be comfortable with what we do not know. When The Buddha talked to his disciples, he said to them that he will be going into extinction (author's translation of dying). He wanted his disciples, lay people, etc to understand the nature of suffering, cause, and where it leads. However, to be enlightened (or have full understanding of this), one must cease to see life as "life vs death" heaven vs hell, etc. So, that is why this is logical.

And it is a religion.

2- Religions like Buddhism, if not most, have a commitment and devotion to their faith in one way or another. That is what it means to be "religious" it means devotion. It doesn't mean supernatural. That's Christianese talking through you, in my opinion. Take that out, and see practice and living for what it is. There is no religion when you live life in gratitude. In other words, you cease to define what is second nature to you.

3- Not all religions are under this category. Christianity (for example Catholicism) doesn't hold the claims on the definition of religion. It's a term that defines a person's devotion to their morals or faith (or both) and how they apply those morals or faith/belief. Most atheist most likely have morals. A lot of them live by their morals. If they are very serious, say love their family and take care of them, they are religious. Nothing wrong with that. Take out the Christian worldview. It hinders terms like god (which pagans define differently), Christianity (since there are so many definitions and ways to practice), and so forth. Strip "the language of the gods".

4- One principle or belief system that holds my life is freedom. I am a natural artist and love to write, draw, to dance, and pretty much devotion within art itself. If anything, my religion (lifestyle) is creative art. It's became a system of beliefs (what I do, say write) that I put my passion and devotion in. I may even stretch it to say I have faith/trust in it, because it helps me see life beyond things we must know the answer to. I stop asking questions about religion to find answers. I ask questions to learn instead.

a- That is religion. It's logical because one religion as a devotion, beliefs/morals, and practice (with or without gods), helps a person psychologically. Of course, mental health has been studied for years and the psychological affects of where one places their interest and passion (I will say) keeps people from going into mental illness. Helps society. Read the psychology books. Talks a lot about it.

b- Religion is logical because it gives a person a routine way of living their life. For example, I go to school every Tuesday and Thursday. I have a routine. Going to school has became a religious act because I have a passion for learning and I study everyday. When we find things we are passionate about, we usually keep practicing at it more often. It becomes our religion.

c- It's logical because the affects of a healthy religion (devotional lifestyle regardless the morals) helps people for the good.

Take away religion what do you have, people running around like chickens with their heads cut off (Positive/cultural idiom-italics not related to point).

Take away Christianity and western religion. Take away the bias perspective of gold and the priests and just see life for what it is and live it. That is religion.

Some people live life as it is by having a faith others do not. In Buddhism, a lot of us call it the Way or Path (I think in Zen, not sure) or simply Practice. Atheist may follow morals and find ways to spend their time and effort (I will say instead of devotion) on what they love.

It's not a nasty word. I think the bias needs to go to shape your questions for ones of productive learning.

Last edited:
But is the need for proof itself absurd?
Is not the belief in objective truth itself potentially a dogma?

You cannot prove the need for proof. It's an assumption about the nature of knowledge and reality.

Needing proof does not reduce to absurdity but not needing proof does.

The fact of the matter is that you personally haven't received evidence of a superhuman controlling power. Another fact is that we cannot prove that someone else hasn't.

Logical Fallacy

Appeal to Ignorance

Assuming that a claim is true because it has not been or cannot be proven false, or vice versa.

Careful as
Ignorant Philosopher
is very sensitive and must be shown the greatest of respect.

You're gonna get reported.

Oh, oh! Now I'm gonna get reported.:eek::eek:

Logical Fallacy

Poisoning the Well

A type of ad hominem where adverse information about a target is presented with the intention of discrediting everything that the target person says.

@Ignorant Philosopher

In fact your thinking is so simplistic and light-weight that I wonder if you are just a troll just trying to stir religious people up and you are the one that needs to be reported. I am giving my serious opinion with this.

Logical Fallacy

Poisoning the Well

A type of ad hominem where adverse information about a target is presented with the intention of discrediting everything that the target person says.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
The possible outcomes for speaking would either be trolling report or learning new words from an English dictionary.