• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

My Defination of Relgion and Faith

Religion:

1) Belief that certain objects are sacred and some are profane without a logical basis.

2) Belief in a superhuman controlling power without a logical basis.

3) Belief that certain rituals produce specific results without a logical basis.

4) Belief that unobservable begins exists without a logical basis.

5) A system of faith surrounding a person or persons.

6) Belief in a form of persistence for the human conciseness past biological death without a logical basis.

7) A belief in pseudo-science on the basis of faith.

8) The belief that humans can accomplish certain results by following a certain ideology without a logical basis.

Also this is how I define faith.

Faith:

Belief in something without needing a logical basis.

These definitions left quite a stir in another thread, with many claiming there religion is indeed based on logic.

If you do think your religion is based on logic then please try to show it here.

Laika

Premium Member
Religion:

1) Belief that certain objects are sacred and some are profane without a logical basis.

3) Belief that certain rituals produce specific results without a logical basis.

6) Belief in a form of persistence for the human conciseness past biological death without a logical basis.

8) The belief that humans can accomplish certain results by following a certain ideology without a logical basis.

Faith:

These definitions left quite a stir in another thread, with many claiming there religion is indeed based on logic.

If you do think your religion is based on logic then please try to show it here.

Have you looked into deism or natural theology? Thomas Paine's "the age of reason" (Deism), Thomas Aquinas and Thomas Payley (Natural Theology)? It may be of interest as attempts at reason and evidence based arguments for the existence of a deity.

Have you looked into deism or natural theology? Thomas Paine's "the age of reason" (Deism), Thomas Aquinas and Thomas Payley (Natural Theology)? It may be of interest as attempts at reason and evidence based arguments for the existence of a deity.

I read them and was unimpressed.

Many leaps to conclusions and assumptions are evident.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My definition of faith is trusting someone and something or in a belief of something that shows no evidence outside of the person experiencing the faith.
My definition of religion would be diverse: There are many religions and types of religion. There are religions with gods, religions with one supreme God, religions with no gods or God (non-theist), religions that have strong teachings but nothing spiritual about them (something similar to Philosophy). There are deists, pantheists, panentheists (I hope I spelled that correctly), monotheists, polytheists, and more. It, in my opinion, would be impossible to write about in just a small forum, such as this one.
That's the way I see it.

Laika

Premium Member
I read them and was unimpressed.

Many leaps to conclusions and assumptions are evident.

If you're not impressed by either deism or natural theology, it's virtually gaurenteed that no answer people offer here will satisfy you as either revealed religion and mysticism will not fit with commonly held assumptions regarding the validity of proof. The more interesting questions start not when we ask for people to prove their beliefs but when we ask ourselves why we need proof at all and what that says about the nature of knowledge.

If you're not impressed by either deism or natural theology, it's virtually gaurenteed that no answer people offer here will satisfy you as either revealed religion and mysticism will not fit with commonly held assumptions regarding the validity of proof. The more interesting questions start not when we ask for people to prove their beliefs but when we ask ourselves why we need proof at all and what that says about the nature of knowledge.

Because belief without proof is reduction to absurdity.

Laika

Premium Member
Because belief without proof is reduction to absurdity.

But is the need for proof itself absurd?
Is not the belief in objective truth itself potentially a dogma?

You cannot prove the need for proof. It's an assumption about the nature of knowledge and reality.

Burl

The fact of the matter is that you personally haven't received evidence of a superhuman controlling power. Another fact is that we cannot prove that someone else hasn't.

Demonslayer

Reported for personal attack and trolling.

So on the one hand I pretty much agree 100% with your position that religion is illogical in all the ways you list, and that faith is illogical as well. I'm a strong atheist and on my grumpiest days I'm an anti-theist, and I think religious faith is a very negative trait in human beings and that religion overall is pretty damn stupid and outdated.

On the other hand I think you're acting like a child with this reporting people for personal attacks based on what I saw was very little. How can you expect to come out with a list that basically craps all over religious people, and then report someone for asking if you saw any irony in one of your posts?

I want to support your position, but I find your thin-skinned approach off-putting and unhelpful. There should be a certain level of banter that is allowed without reporting people, otherwise conversations end up empty and boring because people can't say what they feel.

If someone calls you a ******** or something, that's one thing. To ask a sarcastic question like "don't you see the irony in your own post" is not trolling and shouldn't result in a warning.

Just my opinion, but perhaps you could be a little less thin-skinned about perceived insults.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Careful as
Ignorant Philosopher
is very sensitive and must be shown the greatest of respect.

You're gonna get reported.

Oh, oh! Now I'm gonna get reported.:eek::eek:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Religion:

According to you, does every one of these elements need to be present in order to count as a religion, or is it a case that a religion contains one, any, or all of them?

Faith:

Evidence, I'd say is more crucial here, than logic. I'd also say it's simply lacking in faith, rather than saying that it's not "needed."

Oh, mine absolutely isn't. There's far more emotion and feeling involved for me, and I'm okay with that. I use logic where it's appropriate to do so.

Demonslayer

is very sensitive and must be shown the greatest of respect.

Oh, oh! Now I'm gonna get reported.:eek::eek:

Yeah really what a...

...extremely nice and intelligent individual. o_O

Acim

Revelation all the time
Faith:

I believe my understanding of spirituality is based on Reason. Willing to show it, but just wish to check if spirituality fits within what is being asked?

Assuming it is, I will state that my understanding of faith starts with existence itself. I have no independent, truly objective means for establishing the existence of anything outside of my mind, especially as it relates to physical existence. Therefore, I go with faith. Shall I proceed?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
@Ignorant Philosopher

In fact your thinking is so simplistic and light-weight that I wonder if you are just a troll just trying to stir religious people up and you are the one that needs to be reported. I am giving my serious opinion with this.