• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims rebels demand independent state in Phillipines

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Let's forget for a moment that the fighting tactics of the Muslim rebels here is just atrocious and cowardly. That's not the point I'm wanting to make in this thread. Nor do I want to discuss the fact that Muslims are fighting at all. The thing I'm wanting to discuss is the reason why they're fighting to begin with.

We've seen this before, many times before. We've seen in in Eastern European countries, for example. It's happened in India. It looks like it happens everywhere Muslims move into a country. Here's the setup: a small group of Muslims move into a country where formerly there were no Muslims. Then, their population begins to grow. And the next thing you know, they're causing internal war, and demanding their own independent state.

Now, I have a few questions about this get up, and I'm hoping I can get some straight answers. First, why do they do this? Is this some bid to take over the world? Second, why resort to war? Why not attempt more diplomatic means? Third, how is this even ethical? Fourth, is this really the way of a supposed 'religion of peace'? How can anyone take the claims of Muslim theologians seriously when this is how they act?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Islam arrived in the Phillipines in the 14th century, whilst your article suggests the conflict is 40 years old, so the problem in this particular area may relate to a relatively recent radicalization of clerics there (perhaps influenced by radicalising factors that also occurred elsewhere in modern times such as the falling of vast sums of oil money into the hands of Salafi preachers).

Having said that, your last paragraph raises some excellent questions to the particular radical clerics, and I acknowledge whole-heartedly that it doesn't take too many radicals to pose an authentically existential threat to the neighbours.

There are also a few particular points that I believe mainstream Islam needs to liberalize on, such as how they deal with insults real or perceived, and freedom of speech issues.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
Here's the setup: a small group of Muslims move into a country where formerly there were no Muslims. Then, their population begins to grow. And the next thing you know, they're causing internal war, and demanding their own independent state.

IS that REALLY how it works? DO they even retain their own ethnicity and all?!?!

BTW I see how you generalize all the conflicts and oversimplified them. Like the conflicts that happened in Chechnya are sooo simple.

Assad91

Shi'ah Ali
First, why do they do this? Is this some bid to take over the world?
I love how you had chosen to use the word "they". How.. nice.

. Second, why resort to war? Why not attempt more diplomatic means?
Becasue they are militant radicals. Why do maoist in India attack politicians?

. Third, how is this even ethical?
Who said it was?

. Fourth, is this really the way of a supposed 'religion of peace'?
Considering the billions of peaceful muslims, I'd say, no it's not.

If it wasn't then the majority of Muslims would be blowing themselves up (lets just keep forgetting these same people attack muslims too!)
. How can anyone take the claims of Muslim theologians seriously when this is how they act?
How can anyone take your analysis on Muslims seriously?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Not really, since the OP is a Buddhist and Buddhism is a completely peaceful religion.

Buddhists don't go around forcing people to convert or imposing Buddhism on people.

You haven't talked to some of the Buddhists I've talked to, it seems.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
what a silly thread, how do you think about it ?

I think that on the surface, the "demand for an independent state" sounds awfully familiar... something I've heard from school... another place whose foreign residents "demanded an independent state" about 200 years ago...

Hm... nope, can't place it.

shalom-sobal

You have to read Newspaper

It something not related to islam

Prophet peace be upon him said who kill non believer will not smell heaven

Indicates they will not even go near to heaven

There is exception ( fight to protect your self)

ohhcuppycakee

Not really, since the OP is a Buddhist and Buddhism is a completely peaceful religion.

Buddhists don't go around forcing people to convert or imposing Buddhism on people.

Yes, because no Buddhists have ever committed violence? Buddhist monks in Myanmar? Nahhhhhh. Every religion has blood on its hands.