• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muslims I admire

maro

muslimah
Zaghloul El Naggar

Prof. Zaghloul El-Naggar is an elected Fellow of the Islamic Academy of Sciences (1988). Prof. Naggar is a member of the Geological Society of London, the Geological Society of Egypt and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is a Fellow of the Institute of Petroleum, London.
A former professor of geology at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, Prof. Naggar was educated at Wales University in the United Kingdom from where he obtained his PhD in Geology in 1963.
Prof. Naggar is the author/co-author of many books and more than 40 research papers in the field of Islamic Thought, Geology, General Science and Education. He was awarded by the Ministry of Education in Egypt the top “Secondary Education Award” as well as the seventh Arab Petroleum Congress Best Papers Award in 1970.
Prof. Naggar has taught at Ain Shams University, Cairo; King Saoud University, Riyadh; University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, U.K; Kuwait University and the University of Qatar in Doha.
Elected a member of the IAS Council (1994 and 1999), Prof. Naggar is currently working at the Arab Development Institute.
Prof. Zaghloul Raghib El-Naggar

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Zaghloul El Naggar

He certainly is an interesting fellow, Maro. I am still puzzled though. If the Qur'an has so much scientific evidence in it, why is it that Muslim scientists have not made a single discovery resulting from information found in the Qur'an? Why are these "discoveries" always after the fact?​

Nehustan

[/center]

He certainly is an interesting fellow, Maro. I am still puzzled though. If the Qur'an has so much scientific evidence in it, why is it that Muslim scientists have not made a single discovery resulting from information found in the Qur'an? Why are these "discoveries" always after the fact?​

That's a pretty narrow reading of history YmirGF, Islamic science thrived while most of Europe was illiterate, i.e Dark Ages. At the time of Luther, there were even priests, who had never read the bible, roll on Bibles in the common tongue, Reformation, Renaissance, and Europe caught up some. The main reason for scientific advance in the west, cutting and bleeding edge, was the industrial revolution, thus capitalism, and some would argue (i.e. Durkheim) the protestant work ethic.

Last edited:

Nehustan

225px-Hamza_Yusuf.jpg

To add to the thread, I think the revert Hamza Yusuf, as I'm sure he is a revert the Prophet Muhammad would be proud of. Unlike lazy and sinful old me :areyoucra

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Prof. Zaghloul El Naggar is really a great mind Masha'Allah!!

Nehustan said:
To add to the thread, I think the revert Hamza Yusuf, as I'm sure he is a revert the Prophet Muhammad would be proud of.

Yes I agree I really like Hamza Yusuf too and I do listen to his lectures while commuting from home to work.

Nehustan said:
Unlike lazy and sinful old me :areyoucra

LOL! Why are you saying so? if you see yourself lazy then try to be active... I believe in the place where you are you can do a lot of things for the sake of Islam.

Laila

[/center]

Of course discoveries have been made. As well as Nehustan's stated example on optics. Muslim scholars had already discovered information about the Earth well before Galileo - all this based on information found in the Quran.
Most modern day discoveries are 'after the facts(theories)' but what does that mean? It clearly shows that there are no contradictions in the Quran based on newly found scientific evidence.
I agree that most modern day discoveries and inventions are not made by muslims; in comparison to the vast discoveries made by non-muslims. However, this has nothing to do with the Quran. Muslims need to question themselves as to what is hindering them from making progress.

I personally feel that in the past religious/spiritual and 'worldly' knowledge went hand in hand. Majority of muslims, now, either concentrate on one or the other; and when it is religious knowledge relying heavily on someone else's interpretation rather than thinking for themselves. Which defeats the very process of scientific enquiry invented by the muslim Arabs.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes sure:yes: Faisal is our dear active brother!! :)

Well, then, there are lots of Muslims I admire, including you, Peace. I admire your ability to see the beauty in Islam, for instance.

Another guy I admire is a former landlord of mine -- even at great financial cost to himself, he would refuse to evict those of his tenants who couldn't pay their rent if by evicting them he would make them homeless. So what if he will never be famous -- he is a more moral man than our president.

Last edited:

Sahar

Amr Khaled

amr_khaled.jpg

More popular than Oprah Winfrey, the world's first Islamic television evangelist commands an army of millions of followers
Amr (rhymes with "charmer") Khaled is the Arab world's first Islamic tele-evangelist, a digital age Billy Graham who has fashioned himself into the anti-Bin Laden, using the barrier-breaking power of satellite TV and the internet to turn around a generation of lost Muslim youth."When you look at the reach of what he is doing and when you look at the millions he is touching, I don't know another single individual in the region who is having the impact that Amr Khaled is having," says the American Rick Little, an adviser on youth issues to the UN who has worked with Khaled on job creation schemes in the Middle East.
Amr Khaled: Islam's Billy Graham - Middle East, World - The Independent

Amr Khaled's last project; "Stop drugs...Change your life"
The "Stop Drugs…Change Your Life" was launched by the young Muslim preacher with the hope of helping 5,000 drug addicts across the Arab world.
Khaled, who ranked 62nd on Time magazine's list of the world's 100 most influential people in 2007, has asked his huge fan base to declare jihad against dugs.
"This is not about drugs about rather being positive," he has said.
Khaled usually cites the Qur'anic verse which reads: "Whoso saveth the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind."
Jihad Against Drugs - IslamOnline.net - News

Amr Khaled - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sahar

Amr Khaled, the 38-year-old superstar Islamic preacher, sits back in his big armchair and smiles confidently at the criticism over the recent Copenhagen interfaith "Know- Prophet" conference, which he launched in the wake of the cartoons that lampooned Prophet Mohamed. The event was held on 9 and 10 March in cooperation with 42 prominent preachers and Islamic scholars, including Egypt's Mufti Ali Gomaa.

The Danish conference, Khaled's latest effort at co-existence with the West, sparked a storm of controversy among scholars, with many lambasting it as an unnecessary compromise that would potentially put an end to Muslim protests and boycotts.

The conference, which involved dialogue between 25 carefully chosen Muslim youths and their Danish peers, concluded with recommendations, including the establishment of a cultural centre in Denmark, adding some information on Islam in school textbooks and promoting di alogue with various parties.

Al-Ahram Weekly | Egypt | 'Now Danes respect Muslims'

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Sunstone said:
Well, then, there are lots of Muslims I admire, including you, Peace. I admire your ability to see the beauty in Islam, for instance.

Thank you Phi!! That's really very nice of you :) I appreciate your opinion!

Sunstone said:
Another guy I admire is a former landlord of mine -- even at great financial cost to himself, he would refuse to evict those of his tenants who couldn't pay their rent if by evicting them he would make them homeless. So what if he will never be famous -- he is a more moral man than our president.

That's one example of the morals that Islam calls for.