• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiculturalism:Your Opinion

Multiculturalism:You Opinion

• Multiculturalism is totally awesome and anyone who opposes it is a bigot and racist

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Multiculturalism is okay to some extent but their should be dominant culture

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • I dont like Multiculturalism

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Multiculturalism leads to situation like Lebanese Civil War and Partition of India

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

Remember the context is multiculturalism. So that implies some immigration. Are you saying specifically "civil war"? Because the adversaries are already geographically intermingled.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Remember the context is multiculturalism. So that implies some immigration. Are you saying specifically "civil war"? Because the adversaries are already geographically intermingled.

Some form of civil dispute yes. Eventually they have to come to some kind of consensus on what should be universally understood. Most secular societies today find about the same kind of laws. It might be from globalization or it might be the natural end point for morality that leaves out "tradition".

Wirey

Fartist

If necessary, yes. Or a guerrilla campaign like the FLQ or the guys who tried to bomb the Canadian Parliment buildings. If cultures clash, they rarely withdraw. They attempt to crush one another. How many Spaniards learned to speak Aztec?

icehorse

Premium Member
Some form of civil dispute yes. Eventually they have to come to some kind of consensus on what should be universally understood. Most secular societies today find about the same kind of laws. It might be from globalization or it might be the natural end point for morality that leaves out "tradition".

I suspect that when we're discussing multiculturalism, we're typically NOT thinking of those cases when secular culture A blends with secular culture B.

I'm pretty sure that the intent of this thread is to explore when at least one religious culture is involved in a multicultural scenario.

For example, how should conflicts be resolved when a theocratic culture encounters a secular culture?

Why is the opinion that cultural assimilation is important always met with accusations of racism and bigotry? Those words have been so improperly assigned and used lately they will soon loose the sting they should rightly command.

icehorse

Premium Member
Why is the opinion that cultural assimilation is important always met with accusations of racism and bigotry? Those words have been so improperly assigned and used lately they will soon loose the sting they should rightly command.

Can you clarify what you mean by "cultural assimilation"? Maybe provide an example. This isn't a snarky answer, I'd really like to know what you mean.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Anglophones in Quebec are not protesting that they don't want to learn French.

It is the French Quebecois who protest because they don't want to learn English. Nor do they want to hear it spoken by government officials or see it written on signs. They have gone so far as to force all the English pubs and restaurants to purge their apostrophes to avoid violating French language laws. So "Murphy's" becomes "Murphys". Lol.

well...dear friend. You should be more empathetic with French natives. I understand them perfectly; French was the lingua franca of the 19th century and the language of diplomacy for many centuries.
Imagine that in Italy, until the sixties, English was not taught in public schools. Only French, besides Italian.
In fact the old generations in Italy speak French, not English.

It's like English stole the role that French played once. And the French want to defend the prestige of their language; of course the old generations are vicious and resented towards the English language. Can you blame them?

Last edited:
Can you clarify what you mean by "cultural assimilation"? Maybe provide an example. This isn't a snarky answer, I'd really like to know what you mean.

Learning the language of the host is a biggie. Obeying the laws of the culture you wish to join.
Respecting their traditions that don't harm you physically as they should respect yours.
This is all assuming that you voluntarily wish to become a part of their society. If you really don't wish to be a part of it, don't go there. Work to right the wrongs of your own place of origin. It's often very hard, but then life isn't a walk in the park for anybody.

icehorse

Premium Member
Learning the language of the host is a biggie. Obeying the laws of the culture you wish to join.
Respecting their traditions that don't harm you physically as they should respect yours.
This is all assuming that you voluntarily wish to become a part of their society. If you really don't wish to be a part of it, don't go there. Work to right the wrongs of your own place of origin. It's often very hard, but then life isn't a walk in the park for anybody.

Got it. So the way you're using it means the flavor in which the immigrant is meant to assimilate into the culture to which he's traveled. This is probably the most common and intuitive flavor, although sometimes the immigrants want it the other way around, and occasionally they succeed.

So perhaps "pure" multiculturalists imagine a situation in which all the cultures that are thrown together are on equal footing and some sort of perfect blend will occur.

I'd say that the host culture ought to have dibs. In other words, the host culture should not have to change significantly to welcome the immigrant. That seems the most moral and ethical.

icehorse

Premium Member
And now, looking a little more deeply I see variations:

- multiculturalism
- interculturalism
- transculturation
- assimilationism

So Majikthise, I suspect your definition might most accurately be called "assimilationism" ?

I feel a new thread coming on...

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I suspect that when we're discussing multiculturalism, we're typically NOT thinking of those cases when secular culture A blends with secular culture B.

I'm pretty sure that the intent of this thread is to explore when at least one religious culture is involved in a multicultural scenario.

For example, how should conflicts be resolved when a theocratic culture encounters a secular culture?

I'm saying that every country in the world that has had peaceful coexistence of conflicting cultures has been a secular nation. Eventually they would have to evolve to that level. And multiculturalism is the first step to getting there. Part of what has created horrific ideals in the past is isolation.

icehorse

Premium Member
I'm saying that every country in the world that has had peaceful coexistence of conflicting cultures has been a secular nation. Eventually they would have to evolve to that level. And multiculturalism is the first step to getting there. Part of what has created horrific ideals in the past is isolation.

Agreed, except as a point of definition. It strikes me that what you're describing is "assimilationism" not "multiculturalism". In other words, when immigrants come to a secular culture, they mostly assimilate. They do not mostly impose their culture on the host country.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Indeed. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Agreed, except as a point of definition. It strikes me that what you're describing is "assimilationism" not "multiculturalism". In other words, when immigrants come to a secular culture, they mostly assimilate. They do not mostly impose their culture on the host country.

Yet they maintain their culture at home. It is a logical fallacy to say there is multiculturalism where everyone imposes their culture on everyone else. There has to be some degree of assimilation but that doesn't invalidate my point in the slightest.

icehorse

Premium Member
Yet they maintain their culture at home. It is a logical fallacy to say there is multiculturalism where everyone imposes their culture on everyone else. There has to be some degree of assimilation but that doesn't invalidate my point in the slightest.

I'm not disagreeing with your perspective. What I'm trying to do is refine the vernacular we're using. Especially to make fine distinctions in the definitions of "assimilationism", "multiculturalism", and whatever other "-isms" exist in this spectrum.