• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Multiculturalism:Your Opinion

Multiculturalism:You Opinion

• Multiculturalism is totally awesome and anyone who opposes it is a bigot and racist

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Multiculturalism is okay to some extent but their should be dominant culture

Votes: 22 48.9%
  • I dont like Multiculturalism

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Multiculturalism leads to situation like Lebanese Civil War and Partition of India

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

Phil25

Which of the above option best applies to you?

I voted the second option

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
"And anyone who opposes it is a bigot and racist"? I don't believe that in the least bit, even though the rest of the first choice best suits me.

I will not vote, therefore. There is a place for multiculturalism, and a dominant culture, depending on the needs of a given society.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love it. We live in a very multicultural area of a multicultural city. Within a few minutes are Filipino, Mexican, Thai, tons of Indian, Italian, Laotian, Greek, etc, restaurants. Really close are 3 mosques, 3 Hindu temples, some Orthodox churches, ethnic churches, Buddhist temples, and gurdwaras.

It's always interesting, great for kids to be raised in a racist free environment, and more. Needless to say I voted choice 1.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Neither option 1 nor option 2 quite capture me.

I selected option 2.
My opinion, summed up in a single sentence, would be something like;

Multiculturalism is good, but it introduces issues as well as benefits, and we should talk about them openly.

Alceste

Vagabond
Another Canadian vote for multiculturalism, my appreciation for which I regularly express by getting all the local foreigners to bring the food of their people to my doorstep.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Which of the above option best applies to you?

I voted the second option

I can't vote in the poll because the first option has too strong of wording and I don't agree with any of the other choices. As an American, I am absolutely a fan of multiculturalism.

I notice you live in the USA. Are you an American by birth?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not only am I for multiculturalism, I am also a wholehearted believer in multicultural and interracial sex.

Weird, isn't it? I don't even get that people would have an issue with that (although I know some do). Just seems like such a non-issue.

I would say that raising kids in a multicultural home can require a little more forethought than in a non-multicultural home, imho.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I voted for the second option. There should be unity and shared values but diversity should be allowed within that unity. I do think that immigrants should assimilate into that broader cultural unity and not act like they're still in their homeland and expect the citizens of their new country to change for them. That's where the problem comes from, imo.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm generally for multiculturalism, but I do believe our society needs some core values if it is to endure without civil conflicts or wars. Values such as freedom of conscience and speech, and respect for due process and representative government.

Draupadi

I wanted to go for the first option until I saw the bigot part. And sorry the partition of India was caused by the colonialists. It was their subtle tactic which intended to make the Indians feel that it was the right choice. Destruction of unity is a great weakness. Culture does not always equal religion. US culture is in no way Christian or based on any other faith, or lack of it. It is secular.

Last edited:

Phil25

I wanted to go for the first option until I saw the bigot part. And sorry the partition of India was caused by the colonialists. It was their subtle tactic which intended to make the Indians feel that it was the right choice. Destruction of unity is a great weakness. Culture does not always equal religion. US culture is in no way Christian or based on any other faith, or lack of it. It is secular.

US culture is not purely Christian but Christianity has influenced it more than any other religion or lack of it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"multiculturalism" used to be called the American "melting pot" and celebrated for the strengths that every different nationality and culture brought to America. After a generation or two the children or grandchildren of immigrants became fully American while still calling themselves Irish-American, Italian-American and in general "hyphen American". That adoption of American culture is still true today and it's still true that American diversity helps make us strong. For example, the children and grandchildren of Spanish-speaking immigrants become primary English speakers by the third generation IV. Language Use among Latinos | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project

Alceste

Vagabond
"multiculturalism" used to be called the American "melting pot" and celebrated for the strengths that every different nationality and culture brought to America. After a generation or two the children or grandchildren of immigrants became fully American while still calling themselves Irish-American, Italian-American and in general "hyphen American". That adoption of American culture is still true today and it's still true that American diversity helps make us strong. For example, the children and grandchildren of Spanish-speaking immigrants become primary English speakers by the third generation

Actually, the US "melting pot" concept (where all immigrants are expected to become "American") is distinct from "multiculturalism". People who come here (to Canada) are not obligated to conform to our dominant white / English culture, apart from following our laws. They are welcome to speak their own languages, practice their own religions, and stay intimately connected with their own people and cultural traditions. Somehow we still get along pretty well.

Here's something you rarely if ever see in a multicultural society:

4468907309_a629dd44d7.jpg

4468908929_f8e9d948b2.jpg