• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Movies You've Seen Recently

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

.lava

Veteran Member
also watched..

the fountain .. disappointment :( i did like what i saw but scenario was ... well, there was not :p
the traveller .. i think it was very lame
the girl with the dragon tattoo .. good one :)
centurion .. it is fine

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
ugh .. this can't be coincidence, Monta. you have it waiting, i have it waiting ..

i saw The killer inside me this week btw

Did you like The Killer Inside Me?
Casey Affleck just dominates that film. It was far more disturbing than I'd expected. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read the book but I have read several of Thompson's novels so I should have been prepared for his brand of noir sleaze.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The Legend of the Guardians - Not bad. Good animation, fairly basic story. Bought it for my wife, as we have a thing for owls since they relate to our last name.

Inception - Finally saw it. Don't understand the confusion around it. Had better expectations for it, but, other than Ellen Page, the performances were pretty decent.

Session 9 - Terrible horror movie with David Caruso. Just bad.

Pillars of the Earth - Finished watching it on Netflix. Technically not a movie, but rather a mini-series, but it's cinema quality. Seemed kind of rushed, particularly at the end, but it's probably one of the better series I've seen in a while.

Time Bandits - Like most other Gilliam movies, always a treat.

The Town - Kind of generic, but watchable. Better than expected for a movie directed by Ben Affleck.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Legend of the Guardians - Not bad. Good animation, fairly basic story. Bought it for my wife, as we have a thing for owls since they relate to our last name.

Inception - Finally saw it. Don't understand the confusion around it. Had better expectations for it, but, other than Ellen Page, the performances were pretty decent.

Session 9 - Terrible horror movie with David Caruso. Just bad.

Pillars of the Earth - Finished watching it on Netflix. Technically not a movie, but rather a mini-series, but it's cinema quality. Seemed kind of rushed, particularly at the end, but it's probably one of the better series I've seen in a while.

Time Bandits - Like most other Gilliam movies, always a treat.

The Town - Kind of generic, but watchable. Better than expected for a movie directed by Ben Affleck.
What was wrong with the performance of Ellen Page?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Seemed rather stilted and unnatural. I like her in some things - just seemed miscast in this movie.
I guess. It wasn't exactly the performance of Juno.

Though I feel that almost none of the characters besides DeCaprio were given enough depth. Their motivations and back stories were severely lacking. The movie had a large number of important characters, so in order to keep the movie at a reasonable length, many of them were fairly shallow.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Seemed rather stilted and unnatural. I like her in some things - just seemed miscast in this movie.
I don't see the fuss over Ellen Page's performances in the three or four films of hers I've seen so far. I really like Inception despite her presence- she was ridiculous in Hard Candy and Juno was nearly unwatchable (though a lot of the blame rests with Diablo Cody).

Imo, I think Nolan's films are a lot like Kubrick's in that they're both less interested in characters and more interested in cold analytical plots where they insert vaguely defined people.

eta: I meant this as a positive thing btw. Nolan and Kubrick are (were) great directors.

.lava

Veteran Member
Did you like The Killer Inside Me?
Casey Affleck just dominates that film. It was far more disturbing than I'd expected. I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read the book but I have read several of Thompson's novels so I should have been prepared for his brand of noir sleaze.

lol and i am embarrassed to announce i did not even know it's a book :p

it was disturbing i think it is because they kept it simple. the guy made me sick which probably means it is a good movie :p i think some simple details make it look real. cold fact that's how what he does changes but his mood never changes, keeping certain scenes a little longer than people would want it and giving a bit of taste of documentary made that happen, i think. except for the last scene (you know "hugging in fire" cos IMO he would do anything to survive) they portrayed that type of man good enough

I watched Juno after all the hubbub of it had died down, I kind of don't get it, it's like an episode of Dawson's Creek. I think she was a little out of place in inception I was expecting her to be Di Caprio's daughter in the end I assumed he had gotten way laid in someone's brain for a while, perhaps this was a deliberate misdirection, if not she was a pretty pointless presence, but so was Tom Hardy. I thought it was just an ok movie nothing novel or that interesting.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I watched Juno after all the hubbub of it had died down, I kind of don't get it, it's like an episode of Dawson's Creek. I think she was a little out of place in inception I was expecting her to be Di Caprio's daughter in the end I assumed he had gotten way laid in someone's brain for a while, perhaps this was a deliberate misdirection, if not she was a pretty pointless presence, but so was Tom Hardy. I thought it was just an ok movie nothing novel or that interesting.
Well I never saw Dawson's Creek but I liked Juno quite a bit.

Ace7X

Gulliver's Travels

The original story is among the best of social and political satire novels ever written, parodying human nature, religion, and society. So what does Hollywood do? Turn it into a slapstick comedy with none of those elements.