• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most trustworthy ?

John1.12

Free gift
I can not say to someone in my family, You have to chose to follow Muhammad because i believe Islam is the best way for me. They are free to chose who they want to follow them self, If that is Jesus, Buddha, Or any of the other spiritual teachers know through history. that is their free choice.

You have chosen Jesus, Personally i have chosen to believe in the teaching through Muhammad through sufism.[/QUOTE
] //I can not say to someone in my family, You have to chose to follow Muhammad because i believe Islam is the best way for me.// This isn't my argument or point ?
// They are free to chose who they want to follow them self, If that is Jesus, Buddha, Or any of the other spiritual teachers know through history. that is their free choice.// Again this is irrelevant ( with respect)

You have chosen Jesus, Personally i have chosen to believe in the teaching through Muhammad through sufism
]
I agree ,but this topic isn't about freewill .
Its about who we consider trustworthy . You have clearly chosen Muhammed as the most trustworthy . But I'd argue that he is not when compared to Jesus . Logically or rationally and of course morally . But this becomes a different discussion if said person is trusted over others because you believe that the Jesus as described by Christianity is corrupted.

John1.12

Free gift
It is if you are claiming that Jesus was most trustworthy due to a lack of "sin".

Then we would need to define what is and is not sin, and that varies by Tradition.
That would be just one reason I trust Jesus over ever other single human being in all history or anyone alive today or will ever be .

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
@Barry Johnson

So this discussion is not about who each one of us see as the most trustworthy to our own thoughts, but it is who you tell us is the most trustwhorthy because you see Jesus as the most trustworthy to you. But we are not you.

John1.12

Free gift
It is if you are claiming that Jesus was most trustworthy due to a lack of "sin".

Then we would need to define what is and is not sin, and that varies by Tradition.
You could probably base it on how you would choose a partner or a employing someone . A baby sitter maybe ? You would trust someone who has an absolutely clean record, blemish free than not .

John1.12

Free gift
Asn@Barry Johnson
As I said in the OP
So this discussion is not about who each one of us see as the most trustworthy to our own thoughts, but it is who you tell us is the most trustwhorthy because you see Jesus as the most trustworthy to you. But we are not you.
I believe that Jesus Is the most trustworthy person ever . Like seriously 'ever '. We look across the landscape of historical figures, religious leaders , prophets , gurus , life coaches , kings , queens ,politicians , and anyone you would care to mention , and I make the claim that only one person stands way above the rest.
Now I'm referring to the biblical Jesus. The one that Christianity proclaims .
So for arguments sake, if we assume that all the claims of the religions are equally viable and their leaders / prophets/ figure heads existed and there sources ,reliable. If we grant all that and we simply base our judgments on ' trustworthiness. This would be on Character, reliability, promises , the extent in which they showed sacrificial love love , charity, giving , faithfulness, selflessness, and what they offered to the world on such things as , hope , joy ,peace , eternal life , ect .
So to recap . Which historical figure , religious or otherwise is / was the most trustworthy . The one if true would be the most trustworthy for such matters as described above ?
So for you its Muhammed? I assume yes ..So the follow up was to push back and challenge why . I then put forward the claims of Jesus .

John1.12

Free gift
@Barry Johnson

Its not much of a discussion if we can't ask why and challenge each other on this position in good spirits .

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I believe that Jesus Is the most trustworthy person ever . Like seriously 'ever '. We look across the landscape of historical figures, religious leaders , prophets , gurus , life coaches , kings , queens ,politicians , and anyone you would care to mention , and I make the claim that only one person stands way above the rest.
Now I'm referring to the biblical Jesus. The one that Christianity proclaims .
So for arguments sake, if we assume that all the claims of the religions are equally viable and their leaders / prophets/ figure heads existed and there sources ,reliable. If we grant all that and we simply base our judgments on ' trustworthiness. This would be on Character, reliability, promises , the extent in which they showed sacrificial love love , charity, giving , faithfulness, selflessness, and what they offered to the world on such things as , hope , joy ,peace , eternal life , ect .
So to recap . Which historical figure , religious or otherwise is / was the most trustworthy . The one if true would be the most trustworthy for such matters as described above ?
So for you its Muhammed? I assume yes ..So the follow up was to push back and challenge why . I then put forward the claims of Jesus .
For me Muhammad yes, but that does not mean i think others should be able to think differently. if others see the spiritual teacher from the teaching they follow as more trustworthy to them than they see example Muhammad, that is of no problem.

John1.12

Free gift
For me Muhammad yes, but that does not mean i think others should be able to think differently. if others see the spiritual teacher from the teaching they follow as more trustworthy to them than they see example Muhammad, that is of no problem.
Yes I'm not saying people don't have free will or that they are not allowed to think for themselves. A good discussion is sometimes challenging and a bit of back and forth . We don't always have to be defensive or offensive of course . If there is a truth claim, its healthy to test it ,shake it a bit and such .

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Would 613 commandments of the bible count ? Even the big 10 ?

No. Because again. Sin varies by Tradition, which was my point. The specific number is not really as important.
To use Sin as a basis for Trustworthiness, is not the best or only way, to measure Jesus or anyone for that matter.

I trust on the basis of experience and interaction, not what Sins they may or may not have committed.

And by that, I also Trust my dog more than any man.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes I'm not saying people don't have free will or that they are not allowed to think for themselves. A good discussion is sometimes challenging and a bit of back and forth . We don't always have to be defensive or offensive of course . If there is a truth claim, its healthy to test it ,shake it a bit and such .
Yes it is good to discuss, but to be honest and say i believe in this prophet but it is ok if you believe in someone else. And not to say the only one must be this one because it is the one i believe in.

Personally i have no problem with any religion and their believers

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes it is good to discuss, but to be honest and say i believe in this prophet but it is ok if you believe in someone else. And not to say the only one must be this one because it is the one i believe in.

You're being very patient today. I respect that :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I had no idea there was PROOF Jesus didn't. Dying for your sins, doesn't mean he was sin free. And any claims to the contrary from Scripture only makes the claim more suspect, as Scripture is purely man made. The only True way to know Trust and Trustworthiness, is to fall back to ones own Temple. Not Jesus/Scripture.
Someone else paying the price for the wrong doings of others, how is this even trustable or admirable? How can anything good come of it if we are not held accountable for our own actions? And it certainly does not promote the development of a good or healthy character.
When you really break down Jesus, who he allegedly was, who he allegedly is, what he allegedly done, where is the actual good in it? I personally find him so lame, that one of the best things people tend to offer (even atheist) as evidence of how good Jesus was is something that teaches us to think about "me first" when we consider the moral and ethical implications of our actions. An ascetic lifestyle and being a beggar who lives off the charity of others? There's nothing admirable in that. We have to help ourselves to help each other, and each other shouldn't be expected to support those who are essentially voluntarily living as impoverished bums. Charity is great, but not the point you begin to need it yourself. And, to top it off and make things worse, Jesus and his father are basically dictators. There is no "alternative thought" allowed. Jesus makes it very clear it is "my way or the highway," and his way includes devaluing family (Luke 14:26; Matthew 10:35 -37).
Why have we revered this character for 2000 years?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You're being very patient today. I respect that :)
Maybe it has grown on me that even i believe in Allah and Muhammad, there can be other options for other people, so i try to respect everyone who have a belief and faith in a God or a Buddha (or other deities)
And if someone does not believe I have to be respectful toward them too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Id probably choose Tom hanks with this choice lol
Yeah. Someone symbolized as a stiff white dick, or [insert at least half of your favorite movie lead roles here]? Someone who signed on "all men are created equal and endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights" but died a slave owner, or the guy who forever changed how we look at volleyballs and the Wilson sports brand?

John1.12

Free gift

Of course. This topic is about trustworthiness of course . We are all free to put forth the attributes , character, conduct of the people we have decided to place our trust in ,to give the reasons for the hope and trust we have placed in the claims of Muhammed or Jesus .After all this isn't a trivial matter . This is about eternal life . In the case of Christians and Muslims this would be Muhammed for Muslims and Jesus for Christians. I believe its a relevant topic to discuss the reasons why we should trust Muhammad over Jesus and vica versa . We have two figures before us . Of course Islam shares there faith as do Christians so its honest to say we do stand on our truth claims and believe one to be true and the other false. its logically unavoidable. So its completely acceptable to compare the life of Muhammed ( IMO ) with the life of Jesus and to discuss who was the most trustworthy. Granting both sides be true for arguments sake .