• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most trustworthy ?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe that Jesus Is the most trustworthy person ever . Like seriously 'ever '. We look across the landscape of historical figures, religious leaders , prophets , gurus , life coaches , kings , queens ,politicians , and anyone you would care to mention , and I make the claim that only one person stands way above the rest.
Now I'm referring to the biblical Jesus. The one that Christianity proclaims .
So for arguments sake, if we assume that all the claims of the religions are equally viable and their leaders / prophets/ figure heads existed and there sources ,reliable. If we grant all that and we simply base our judgments on ' trustworthiness. This would be on Character, reliability, promises , the extent in which they showed sacrificial love love , charity, giving , faithfulness, selflessness, and what they offered to the world on such things as , hope , joy ,peace , eternal life , ect .
So to recap . Which historical figure , religious or otherwise is / was the most trustworthy . The one if true would be the most trustworthy for such matters as described above ?
Since you want to go through with this, I propose we compare Jesus with Buddha.

John1.12

Free gift
Since you want to go through with this, I propose we compare Jesus with Buddha.
Ok for the criteria given i believe its only reasonable to go with Jesus. I would say its wiser to trust the creator of the universe that never sinned ( not even as a child) One that died for the sins of the world. Gave him self sacrafically to the world ..The one who redeems our souls, gives eternal life . The only way to heaven .Over a man that was ' enlightened' . That was not God ,claimed there is no creator God . And he left his family.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok for the criteria given i believe its only reasonable to go with Jesus. I would say its wiser to trust the creator of the universe that never sinned ( not even as a child) One that died for the sins of the world. Gave him self sacrafically to the world ..The one who redeems our souls, gives eternal life . The only way to heaven .
The creator(s) of the universe are simply angelic beings who are below the Buddha. Buddha never sinned. He saw the suffering of the world and incarnated himself one final time and showed the way out of suffering out of empathy and compassion. For this he chose to suffer himself through many trials and tribulations till the path from suffering was clear for the world to follow. Buddha is the only way to the unbinding, which is beyond all heavens. Heavens are not eternal, they too decay as they are part of creation. The only way to eternity is unbinding from the wheel of creation itself and transcend all forms. And this ultimate state Buddha showed. Even the High Creator (Brahma Sahampati) is Buddha's disciple and a Bodhisatva. None is greater and more sinless than the Tathagata Buddha.

John1.12

Free gift
The creator(s) of the universe are simply angelic beings who are below the Buddha. Buddha never sinned. He saw the suffering of the world and incarnated himself one final time and showed the way out of suffering out of empathy and compassion. For this he chose to suffer himself through many trials and tribulations till the path from suffering was clear for the world to follow. Buddha is the only way to the unbinding, which is beyond all heavens. Heavens are not eternal, they too decay as they are part of creation. The only way to eternity is unbinding from the wheel of creation itself and transcend all forms. And this ultimate state Buddha showed. Even the High Creator (Brahma Sahampati) is Buddha's disciple and a Bodhisatva. None is greater and more sinless than the Tathagata Buddha.
Ok and I appreciated that explanation. Ok from a position of trustworthiness then .Well I guess we probably need to establish a base line here . If we accept the Claims of Christianity about Jesus( Which i believe is plainly stated in the bible ) rather than the claims Buddhism says of Jesus. Because this seems to be the pattern . Every religion seems to make a claim on Jesus thats not the same as the claim Christians make. Its not the same Jesus .
So some factors that are about Trust .
1) Was he deceived ? This is about what they experienced. Was it a deceptive experience that was from a bad source. This would be from my perspective ( the bible ) a false spirit which deceives individuals away from the truth of God into a lie . So this can include seemingly positive experiences and ' peace ' even . The bible describes this as satan coming to people as an ' angel of light' . From the individuals perspective of course this is alluring . Now I can make the case that this is behind all religions . That false spirits create religions of all descriptions to deceive people into following them. Which ultimately lead people away from Jesus.
So for example in Islam , the Bible helps us see that potentially Muhammad's experience/ visitations from what he thought was the Angel Gabriel was actually a fallen angel a demonic encounter . We see also that Jospeh Smith was also visited by an ' angel '. Other religions speak of 'light " 'enlightenment ' and many other terms in which the bible warns against .All the ways in which certain religions call ' meditation, channelling ect the bible warns against these practices as they open people up to false spirits .

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok and I appreciated that explanation. Ok from a position of trustworthiness then .Well I guess we probably need to establish a base line here . If we accept the Claims of Christianity about Jesus( Which i believe is plainly stated in the bible ) rather than the claims Buddhism says of Jesus. Because this seems to be the pattern . Every religion seems to make a claim on Jesus thats not the same as the claim Christians make. Its not the same Jesus .
So some factors that are about Trust .
1) Was he deceived ? This is about what they experienced. Was it a deceptive experience that was from a bad source. This would be from my perspective ( the bible ) a false spirit which deceives individuals away from the truth of God into a lie . So this can include seemingly positive experiences and ' peace ' even . The bible describes this as satan coming to people as an ' angel of light' . From the individuals perspective of course this is alluring . Now I can make the case that this is behind all religions . That false spirits create religions of all descriptions to deceive people into following them. Which ultimately lead people away from Jesus.
So for example in Islam , the Bible helps us see that potentially Muhammad's experience/ visitations from what he thought was the Angel Gabriel was actually a fallen angel a demonic encounter . We see also that Jospeh Smith was also visited by an ' angel '. Other religions speak of 'light " 'enlightenment ' and many other terms in which the bible warns against .All the ways in which certain religions call ' meditation, channelling ect the bible warns against these practices as they open people up to false spirits .
In Buddhism, Mara is the deceiving evil angel whom Buddha defeated to destroy the obstacles that cause people to mire themselves in suffering. The victory of Buddha over Mara is celebrated in scripture. There is no question of Buddha being deceived by any Satan or Mara like figure.
Maybe Jesus and his followers were deceived by Mara? If you cast aspersions on Buddha, I can do the same to Jesus can't I?
Buddhism makes no claims on Jesus. As far as Buddhism or Hinduism is concerned, Jesus is not relevant. But Buddhism does make the claim there are several creator angels who mistakenly think they are supreme and try to get earthly people to follow them. Maybe YhWh is one such?

John1.12

Free gift
In Buddhism, Mara is the deceiving evil angel whom Buddha defeated to destroy the obstacles that cause people to mire themselves in suffering. The victory of Buddha over Mara is celebrated in scripture. There is no question of Buddha being deceived by any Satan or Mara like figure.
Maybe Jesus and his followers were deceived by Mara? If you cast aspersions on Buddha, I can do the same to Jesus can't I?
Buddhism makes no claims on Jesus. As far as Buddhism or Hinduism is concerned, Jesus is not relevant. But Buddhism does make the claim there are several creator angels who mistakenly think they are supreme and try to get earthly people to follow them. Maybe YhWh is one such?
So from both sides, it looks like there is the potential to be deceived. So how can we know?

John1.12

Free gift
//There is no question of Buddha being deceived by any Satan // From your position i can understand why you would say this but from mine its clear he was deceived. In fact its an obvious deception, in which the bible details . And yes I appreciate from your perspective you may have reasons to say Jesus was deceived. Do you say Jesus was deceived then ?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
//There is no question of Buddha being deceived by any Satan // From your position i can understand why you would say this but from mine its clear he was deceived. In fact its an obvious deception, in which the bible details . And yes I appreciate from your perspective you may have reasons to say Jesus was deceived. Do you say Jesus was deceived then ?
What you or I believe is irrelevant for the purpose of this debate. What we can actually show is relevant. Here is evidence from my side (with assumption that Buddhist scriptures are 100% valid...the criteria which you yourself laid down in the OP) that Buddha overcame the deceits of the evil angel.
Sn 3:2 Exertion
To me—

my mind resolute in exertion

near the river Nerañjarā,

making a great effort,

doing jhāna

to attain rest from the yoke—

Nāmuci(meaning: one-who-ensnares) came,

speaking words of compassion:

“You are ashen, thin.

Death is in

your presence.

Death

has 1,000 parts of you.

Only one part

is your life.

Live, good sir!

Life is better.

Alive,

you can do

acts of merit.

Your living the holy life

and performing the fire sacrifice

will heap up much merit.

What use is exertion to you?

Hard to follow

—the path of exertion—

hard to do, hard

to sustain.”

Saying these verses,

Māra stood in the Awakened One’s presence.

And to that Māra, speaking thus,

the Blessed One

said this:

“Kinsman of the heedless,

Evil One,

come here for whatever purpose:

I haven’t, for merit,

even the least bit of need.

Those who have need of merit:

Those are the ones

Māra’s fit to address.

In me are

conviction

austerity,

persistence,

discernment.

Why, when my mind is resolute,

do you petition me

to live?

This wind could burn up

even river currents.

Why, when my mind is resolute,

shouldn’t my blood dry away?

As my blood dries up,

gall & phlegm dry up,

as muscles waste away,

the mind grows clearer;

mindfulness, discernment,

concentration stand

more firm.

Staying in this way,

attaining the ultimate feeling,2

the mind has no interest

in sensuality.

See:

a being’s

purity!

Sensual passions are your first army.

Your second is called Discontent.

Your third is Hunger & Thirst.

Your fourth is called Craving.

Fifth is Sloth & Torpor.

Sixth is called Cowardice.

Your seventh is Uncertainty.

Hypocrisy & Stubbornness, your eighth.

Gains, Offerings, Fame, & Status

wrongly gained,

and whoever would praise self

& disparage others:

That, Nāmuci, is your army,

the Dark One’s commando force.

A coward can’t defeat it,

but one having defeated it

gains bliss.

Do I carry muñja grass (a white flag of surrender)?3

I spit on my life.

Death in battle would be better for me

than that I, defeated,

survive.4

Sinking here, they don’t appear,

some brahmans & contemplatives.

They don’t know the path

by which those with good practices

go.

Seeing the bannered force

on all sides—

the troops, Māra

along with his mount—

I go into battle.

May they not budge me

from

my spot.

That army of yours,

that the world with its devas

can’t overcome,

I will smash with discernment—

as an unfired pot with a stone.

Making my resolve mastered,

mindfulness well-established,

I will go about, from kingdom to kingdom,

training many disciples.

They—heedful, resolute in mind,

doing my bidding—

despite your wishes, will go

where, having gone,

there’s no grief.”

Māra:

“For seven years, I’ve dogged

the Blessed One’s steps,

but haven’t gained an opening

in the One Self-Awakened

& glorious.

A crow circled a stone

the color of fat

—’Maybe I’ve found

something tender here.

Maybe there’s something delicious’—

but not getting anything delicious there,

the crow went away.

Like the crow attacking the rock,

I weary myself with Gotama.”

As he was overcome with sorrow,

his lute fell from under his arm.

Then he, the despondent spirit,

right there

disappeared

John1.12

Free gift
What you or I believe is irrelevant for the purpose of this debate. What we can actually show is relevant. Here is evidence from my side (with assumption that Buddhist scriptures are 100% valid...the criteria which you yourself laid down in the OP) that Buddha overcame the deceits of the evil angel.
Sn 3:2 Exertion
Ok occurring to your scriptures he overcame "the deceits of the evil angel." . Ok but this still falls under my remit of him being deceived. Satan as described in the bible gives people these deceptive experiences which will be seemingly positive . Enough for them to be written down to further deceive others into following the same path . That is the warning the bible gives. I believe he had a genuine experience ,just like Muhammed, Just like Joseph Smith , and many others. Some extreme some a little less . A more recent example would be 'Echart Tolle 'or the Author of ' a course in Miracles 'and Esther and Abraham hicks .

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok occurring to your scriptures he overcame "the deceits of the evil angel." . Ok but this still falls under my remit of him being deceived. Satan as described in the bible gives people these deceptive experiences which will be seemingly positive . Enough for them to be written down to further deceive others into following the same path . That is the warning the bible gives.
Why would Buddhists or myself care about what the Bible says? Remember your OP criteria. You said:-
"If we assume that all the claims of the religions are equally viable and their leaders / prophets/ figure heads existed and their sources ,reliable. If we grant all that and we simply base our judgments on ' trustworthiness."
Are you now deviating from the conditions under which this debate on trustworthiness is being held?

John1.12

Free gift
Why would Buddhists or myself care about what the Bible says? Remember your OP criteria. You said:-
"If we assume that all the claims of the religions are equally viable and their leaders / prophets/ figure heads existed and their sources ,reliable. If we grant all that and we simply base our judgments on ' trustworthiness."
Are you now deviating from the conditions under which this debate on trustworthiness is being held?
That's a fair point . Maybe I would have to create a new thread to discuss this without deviating from this op .

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a fair point . Maybe I would have to create a new thread to discuss this with deviating from this op .
You do not want to discuss on these terms anymore? But even if you do what you propose, why would any one scriptures criticism of another belief system be considered more authoritative than that other belief system's criticism of the former?

John1.12

Free gift
I guess at best I could say I trust that he had geniune experiences but I don't trust it was from a good source.

John1.12

Free gift
You do not want to discuss on these terms anymore? But even if you do what you propose, why would any one scriptures criticism of another belief system be considered more authoritative than that other belief system's criticism of the former?
My point would be that my scriptures warn against your scriptures as from a bad source ( to say the least )

John1.12

Free gift
The bible completely accepts the experiences that happens in other religions . It allows for all the things people claim ' must be from a good source ' and actually says they are demonic . People think satan only gives bad experiences, unsettling experiences and such . No he also can bring a false ' peace ' , success, ' enlightenment ' , and such.

John1.12

Free gift
criticism? Not criticism but warning.

John1.12

Free gift
What I'm saying is that my critique of Siddhartha Gautama isn't to say his character is necessarily untrustworthy because of his character, nature and such but rather, what he discovered and taught. From my perspective the bible informs me that he was deceived and that he was not necessary being deceptive. He believed his experiences were positive. As I did when I followed such practices before I was a Christian. I couldn't conceive how such practices could not be positive . Until I read the bible.

John1.12

Free gift
And to add . Is there a difference as to what Siddhartha Gautama taught and what others said about him after his death ?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My point would be that my scriptures warn against your scriptures as from a bad source ( to say the least )
My scriptures say the same about yours. Buddhist scriptures tells of a creator god (who actually created this earth) to have fallen under the spell of Mara (the deceiving angel) who feigns to serve at this God's court and is deceived into thinking of himself as the supreme being. So Buddha had to ascend to the heavens to counter this. The interesting thing here is that in the Bible, the Satan is actually at the court of YhWh and appears to work for him too (at least till Jesus's time when he is expelled or something). So it is quite possible that YhWh is the Creator God being discussed by Buddha here. Here is the Sutta
Brahma-nimantanika Sutta: The Brahma Invitation
Basically the Creator God had come to believe (under the influence of Mara) that He is the Supreme and His realm is the final realm. That he is Omnipotent. Buddha corrects him, shows many beings and realms exist above him and that the final state is the state at which Buddha is, the Unbound state described as "Consciousness without surface, endless all-encompassing and radiant" . Buddha also says many beings do worship this Creator God and hence fall under his power, but he and his disciples as well as the higher beings are beyond the God's reach.