• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moses, the most Evil man who ever lived

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Dueteronomy 22:28 If a man rapes a young woman who is a virgin 29 he that lay with her must pay her father fifty shekels and marry her, and never divorce her as long as he lives (Good idea Moses) :facepalm:

Leviticus 20:13 If any one lie with a man as with a woman, both have committed an abomination, let them be put to death: their blood be upon them. :no:

Dueteronomy 13:15 Thou shalt forthwith kill the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, and shalt destroy it and all things that are in it, even the cattle. (even the innocent animals?) :(

Duet 27:26 Cursed be he that abideth not in the words of this law, and fulfilleth them not in work: and all the people shall say: Amen.

Could anyone possibly be any worse then this Moses?

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I'm not convinced this "Moses" existed seeing as he never appears in any Egyptian history, but if he did, they had to have kicked him out of Egypt. They wouldn't have had to let his people go, they would have begged them to leave. Egyptians were highly civilized and cultured people.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm not convinced this "Moses" existed seeing as he never appears in any Egyptian history, but if he did, they had to have kicked him out of Egypt. They wouldn't have had to let his people go, they would have begged them to leave. Egyptians were highly civilized and cultured people.

Egyptians had their good days and their bad days. I think it's a little odd to characterize someone who may not have existed as the most evil man who ever lived, though.

And in Moses' defense -- if there was such a person -- it's not likely he had anything to do with writing the laws in the OP.

Aquitaine

Dueteronomy 22:28 If a man rapes a young woman who is a virgin 29 he that lay with her must pay her father fifty shekels and marry her, and never divorce her as long as he lives (Good idea Moses) :facepalm:
Leviticus 20:13 If any one lie with a man as with a woman, both have committed an abomination, let them be put to death: their blood be upon them. :no:

Dueteronomy 13:15 Thou shalt forthwith kill the inhabitants of that city with the edge of the sword, and shalt destroy it and all things that are in it, even the cattle. (even the innocent animals?) :(

Duet 27:26 Cursed be he that abideth not in the words of this law, and fulfilleth them not in work: and all the people shall say: Amen.

The character of Moses is indeed a villain, atleast in my interpretation of the stories. What made me laugh was in....... Exodus 32 (IIRC) where the first order he gives after coming down with the 10 Commandments is to kill like 3000 people because they took off their clothes and made a golden calf and started worshipping it. :facepalm:

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member

How about you...

3. Trolling and Bullying
We recognize three areas of unacceptable trolling (Please note that these apply to PMs, signature lines, frubal comments, and visitor messages as well, if they are reported):
1)posts that are deliberately inflammatory in order to provoke a vehement response from other users.
2)posts that Target a person or group by following them around the forums to attack them. This is Bullying. Deliberately altering the words of another member by intentionally changing the meaning when you use the quote feature is considered a form of bullying. The ONLY acceptable alteration of a quotation from another member is to remove portions that are not relevant or to alter formatting for emphasis.
3)posts that are adjudged to fit the following profile: "While questioning and challenging other beliefs is appropriate in the debates forums, repeated blatant misrepresentation or continual harassment of other beliefs will not be tolerated."

lambert

I am surprised that the people didn't kill Moses in the desert, he misleaded them and kept them there for 40 years!.How can it take you so long to lead people through a desert which should not take longer than a month?

Smoke

Done here.
I am surprised that the people didn't kill Moses in the desert, he misleaded them and kept them there for 40 years!.How can it take you so long to lead people through a desert which should not take longer than a month?

The story makes it pretty clear that it was not a good idea to **** with Moses.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Could you be any more simplistic in your literalistic readings of Scripture? They were never designed to be taken 100% at face value: there has always been a oral tradition of interpretation.

Honestly, being contrarian is one thing, and if you don't like the Hebrew Scriptures, then don't be a Jew. Or, I guess, a Christian, though I still don't understand how they decide what in the Tanakh they're going to follow. But there's no reason to just crap on the Torah. That's offensive, and simplistic, and shallow, and deliberately provocative.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
... That's offensive, and simplistic, and shallow, and deliberately provocative.

That about sums up the OP's posts on Abrahamic Faiths, nu?

This one crosses the line though. Feel free to also report it, as it violates the rules, as I quoted.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah, the people and culture of the OT were undoubtedly disgusting savages. I mean they sold their own daughters into sexual slavery. :shrug:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
That about sums up the OP's posts on Abrahamic Faiths, nu?

This one crosses the line though. Feel free to also report it, as it violates the rules, as I quoted.
I disagree. I think you're just not use to hearing people speak that way about Moses, but if that's the way he feels then so be it. I don't see where he's crossing the line. He believes what he believes and he has his reasons.

Last edited:

Twig pentagram

High Priest

I don't think Moses was real, but I could be wrong. If he was real and the stories about him are real then I would have to say he's definetly not the best example of a human being, but he is'nt the worst either.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Well...if it makes anyone feel any better....

God looked Moses in the eye....and said....
"You will not enter the promised land."

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
I laugh at whoever reports the OP. It was not offensive at all. If anything, it didn't attack the Abrahamic faiths harshly enough.

Moses was not the MOST evil man, however, in fact, he probably had little choice in the matter of wandering in the desert or in the writing of the Ten Commandments (although he did decide himself to slaughter people for worshiping a golden calf). The most evil man in the Old Testament, and indeed of all time, is Yahweh, the one they call "God."

There was an interesting special on A&E the other day portraying the 'historical' moses as a sort of Attila the Hun style tribal warlord, and even traced his path of conquest through the ancient world. I am unsure how much of this was fact and how much sensationalism, but it made for an interesting hypothesis.

Smoke

Done here.
The most evil man in the Old Testament, and indeed of all time, is Yahweh, the one they call "God."
Marilynne Robinson: "In the newness of the world God was a young man, and grew indignant over the slightest things." :)

Just_me_Mike

Just out of curiosity, for those that bash the story of Moses at least the parts spoken of in the OP. How is it fair thousands of years later to judge a man from our modern day perspective?

If you yourselves, were born in that day and age, you might very well have been involved in the same practices. Or if not those practices, some other practices you would judge by today's standards as abhorrent.

I think it shows sense of immaturity to make such threads blatantly displaying and applying modern day standards to a world you really know nothing about out. None of us really know about the world back then, just only what we read, and as we know history is only as good as its writers.

Feel free to speak how you wish, but it rubs me wrong... :shrug:

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
So... because it happened a long time ago, it must have been ok for that time period? o_O

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see where he's crossing the line. He believes what he believes and he has his reasons.

Like you said in the next post, Moses wasn't the worse person to ever live, it's just a very strange thing to say to be honest, even based on the OP's criticism. Also, Considering that he is a religious figure that is viewed by billions as one of the best people to ever live on the face of the earth, "the worst person" is really exaggerating to say the least. So, perhaps this awful suggestion is what crosses the line, because it's not really a discussion.