• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormonism????

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
Fatal mistake, Booko. I'm sure it was merely an oversight. You'd better hope than non of CARM's contributors are lurking around RF. If they are, you may see your status changed to that of a cult overnight.

There's no such thing as bad publicity. :)

Ha, I knew it. Everyone of you gave the exact reaction I expected. You realized the massive difference between Mormonism and Biblical Christianity and then got defensive. I think what it comes down to is you guys having a problem with me wanting to differentiate myself from Mormons who are not Christians.
Everyone here says that Mormons are the same as Christians for one reason, they believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and that makes them a Christian. I agree if only they were speaking of the same Jesus.....

"In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages.'" (LDS Church News Week ending June 20, 1998, p.7 )

Hinckley himself said it. The president made the distinction between the Jesus of LDS and the Jesus I serve. And no I did not distort it to tear down your religion. CARM is there to present the whole truth Becky, it is not there just to tear down other's religion but to provide Christians with a logical defense against the cults, which according to my definition is any 'religious' group designed and presented as Christianity. There are also the cults which we all know, but they are quite different from the one at hand. More evidence for Jesus being different between the two...

The Mormon Jesus
The Christian Jesus
  1. The literal son of god and his goddess wife begotten in the pre-existence.
  2. The brother of all spirits born in heaven in the premortal existence.
  3. One of 3 gods in the godhead.
  4. The Trinity is three separate gods.
  5. First one to receive a spirit body.
  6. Atoned for sin on the cross and in the garden of Gethsemane.
Jesus is different between Biblical Christianity and Mormonism. That is why Mormons are not Christians and the basis of the thread.

For those of you who are still posting the don't judge verses, you to are not using them in context, they refer to judging people because of their sin or situations. And also, I have looked through the LDS webite many times, it offers no actual doctrine, merely quotes from current or past leaders and 'prophets'.
And the points posted are taught in many Temples, they are tradition and in many places have grown and become Doctrine. On that same note, why are some of Smith's writings justified and some not?
  1. Not the literal son of god and his goddess wife.
  2. Not the brother of all spirits born in heaven in a premortal existence.
  3. Not one of 3 gods in the godhead.
  4. The Trinity is 3 persons in one God.
  5. Was always spirit from eternity.
  6. Atoned for sin on the cross alone.

Again, here is evidence that even the Mormon's (Joesph Smith) encourages one that one should examine and let others question their faith.
"If a faith will not bear to be investigated; if its preachers and professors are afraid to have it examined; their foundation must be very weak."
-- (Journal of Discourses 14:216-217)
Please don't bark, IT IS NOT CHURCH DOCTRINE!!!! Come on if you are not willing to follow the writings of the founder of you religion or the presidents or prophets then what are you following, who is to say that the Book of Mormon is more true that the Journal of Discourses?

Note the whole, because of righteous part of the verse. Mormons are not in accordance with the Word of God, do not worship the same God, therefor have not attained the righteousness mentioned in Matthew.

The Bible doesn't say don't argue. The Bible does say to question religion, as I have posted about 5 times already!!!

Ody

joecrawford815 said:
Note the whole, because of righteous part of the verse. Mormons are not in accordance with the Word of God, do not worship the same God, therefor have not attained the righteousness mentioned in Matthew.

Same G-d, many names and masks, same being.

What? Are you honestly looking at that and saying that we serve the same god? I serve the only and only God, I am that I am. I think you would know that.

Ody

joecrawford815 said:
What? Are you honestly looking at that and saying that we serve the same god? I serve the only and only God, I am that I am. I think you would know that.

I WOULD SAY THAT THERE ARE NO INTERMEDIARIES NEEDED FOR G-D!I SUGGEST YOU THINK HARD ABOUT THE LESSON OF THE GOLDEN CALF!

Ody

See? EVEN A JEW CAN ARGUE HIS WORLD VIEW IS THE CORRECT ONE
The truth is, all paths are valid, otherwise we would have a cruel and non caring G-d for sure! I MEAN THAT MEANS HASHEM WOULD SEND PPL TO HELL FOR GETTING HIS NAME WRONG!

evearael

"If a faith will not bear to be investigated; if its preachers and professors are afraid to have it examined; their foundation must be very weak."
-- (Journal of Discourses 14:216-217)
Actually, I've drawn the opposite conclusion from my many religious debates and discussions with Mormons outside of RF. I have been consistently impressed by their knowledge of their faith, living their faith and expressing their faith. They certainly were very open to debating even the key tenants of their faith. However, the responses you've recieved on this thread don't surprise me because of some of the openly hostile comments that were made towards them.

Mormons are not in accordance with the Word of God
So, how do you live up to "JUDGE NOT..."?

You posts seem to come from contempt for your brother rather than love, and I do not wish to associate with such. I hope you learn the love that Jesus preached one day. I am through posting on this thread. Good night.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
joecrawford815 said:
Have you ever attended an LDS church?

How do you know that the things you hear are not the things that actually occur within the church?

I believe you both serve the same jealous god, yes. *smiles*

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
AlanGurvey said:
I WOULD SAY THAT THERE ARE NO INTERMEDIARIES NEEDED FOR G-D!I SUGGEST YOU THINK HARD ABOUT THE LESSON OF THE GOLDEN CALF!
Alan, stop shouting :)

If he doesn't get what you're trying to say, or blatantly ignores it, that's his problem, and not yours.

What is the Jewish church teaching these days. Come on you honestly believe, to paraphrase Shakespeare, A God by any other name still smells as sweet? Dude, seriously, realize that my relatioship with Jesus Christ revolves around certain things, such as moral/religious absolutes. And my Bible says "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life no one comes to the Father except through me." Ofcourse, God will judge look at the people killed in the great flood, and Sodom and Gomorrah. The God I serve is everything, He is the same today yesterday and forever more. He is a loving, judging, caring, condemning God, and he is not fully comprehendable by Human minds.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
joecrawford815 said:
What is the Jewish church teaching these days. Come on you honestly believe, to paraphrase Shakespeare, A God by any other name still smells as sweet? Dude, seriously, realize that my relatioship with Jesus Christ revolves around certain things, such as moral/religious absolutes. And my Bible says "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life no one comes to the Father except through me." Ofcourse, God will judge look at the people killed in the great flood, and Sodom and Gomorrah. The God I serve is everything, He is the same today yesterday and forever more. He is a loving, judging, caring, condemning God, and he is not fully comprehendable by Human minds.
The great thing about religions is the fact that they can completely contradict themselves. Especially when it comes to 2000 year old mythology! *sigh*

I've always believed that Christians should not tell people, "Look, I'm Christian, and I am awesome," as I tend to feel from the way you post things. I'd, for once, like to meet someone who is genuinely kind, caring, understanding, and epitomises what it is to love. Because only when the light of God, the holy spirit, shines through the person, there should be such a kind power that it leaves others in awe. I have never met such a Christian. (although, i've seen many of you on RF....:) )

Yeshua did not boast or brag, or condemn others for their perspectives. He did not tell you that you would burn in a lake of fire. Yeshua only talked of his father's house. He tried to show love in everything. Why can't you at least try to do the same?

Blatantly ignores it? I did no such thing and I do get what he is trying to say, I however do not subscribe to it. I holdfast to that which is true. And not just for me, it is true for all of you. The Bible says that Christ came to save all of mankind but in doing so he also condemned the,. I didn't quote it because I cannot remeber it now. I will look it up and post it tomorrow. So obviously I took in the point evaluated it, in accordance with the WORD, and then refuted it. Again I will use 1 Thess. 5:21.

SO you basically want me to abandon my beliefs and moral/religous absolutes to make you feel loved and genuinley cared for? I can't do that because I will not betray Christ, I am simply giving evidence that proves the difference between Mormonism and Biblical Christianity.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
joecrawford815 said:
Blatantly ignores it? I did no such thing and I do get what he is trying to say, I however do not subscribe to it. I holdfast to that which is true. And not just for me, it is true for all of you. The Bible says that Christ came to save all of mankind but in doing so he also condemned the,. I didn't quote it because I cannot remeber it now. I will look it up and post it tomorrow. So obviously I took in the point evaluated it, in accordance with the WORD, and then refuted it. Again I will use 1 Thess. 5:21.
I never said that you did. In fact, I was telling Alan off. o.0

This is your thread, and if you want to ignore something that is said, its not a big deal. Dont be offended with the way I say things, as I will not be offended by the way you attack others. *smiles*

Instead of sitting here and trying to make, what you feel to be, "better" Christians, why don't you spend some time on yourself? I'm not saying that you're right, or wrong, but it just seems odd to me that a Christian of your self-professed calibur would stoop to telling others how wrong they are.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
joecrawford815 said:
SO you basically want me to abandon my beliefs and moral/religous absolutes to make you feel loved and genuinley cared for? I can't do that because I will not betray Christ, I am simply giving evidence that proves the difference between Mormonism and Biblical Christianity.
....what?

I'm not mormon, and I see no reason for you to love be except for the fact that Yeshua would have, despite me.

You're betraying your Christ right now.

There is a difference, but that doesn't necissarily make it wrong.