• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormonism????

How can mormons claim to be Christians when Christians who don't accept the Joseph Smith Jr. as a prophet?? Is this in the LDS Church doctrine? Please explain this to me.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
*sigh* here we go again....

you know, you COULD look into the billions of other threads previously created on this... and next time, try not to be so ignorant... :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
joecrawford815 said:
How can mormons claim to be Christians when Christians who don't accept the Joseph Smith Jr. as a prophet?? Is this in the LDS Church doctrine? Please explain this to me.

Come again dude?

You may not accept him as a prophet, but I do and I am still a Christian. You may not accept the Pope as a 'prophet' so-to-speak, but the Catholics do and they are Christian.

I believe Joseph Smith is a prophet, yes, that is LDS doctrine, but in order to be Christian you do not have to believe Joseph Smith was a prophet.

Did that answer you question?

Ody

They accept the trinity, and the divinity of christ. Thus they are christians.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joecrawford815 said:
Mormons claim to be Christians because they worship Jesus Christ as the Son of God and believe Him to be their Savior. Not rocket science really.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
AlanGurvey said:
They accept the trinity, and the divinity of christ. Thus they are christians.
Well, almost. We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. But we do not believe their relationship is as the Nicene and Athanasian Creeds describe it. But many thanks for saying that we are, in fact, Christians.

Nope, those did not answer my question. I am questioning LDS doctrine, because according to Book of Mormon, D&C, and The Pearl of Great Price, I as a Christian believing (knowing) Joseph Smith to be a false prophet will not make it to the Celestial level of heaven. Why not, if you are Christians (which Mormons are not) then why do you get more privilege in Heaven than I do?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
joecrawford815 said:
Nope, those did not answer my question. I am questioning LDS doctrine, because according to Book of Mormon, D&C, and The Pearl of Great Price, I as a Christian believing (knowing) Joseph Smith to be a false prophet will not make it to the Celestial level of heaven.
Why not, if you are Christians (which Mormons are not) then why do you get more privilege in Heaven than I do?
who the hell are you to say something like that?

Bishka

Veteran Member
joecrawford815 said:
Nope, those did not answer my question. I am questioning LDS doctrine, because according to Book of Mormon, D&C, and The Pearl of Great Price, I as a Christian believing (knowing) Joseph Smith to be a false prophet will not make it to the Celestial level of heaven. Why not, if you are Christians (which Mormons are not) then why do you get more privilege in Heaven than I do?

My my, aren't we the kind seventeen year old here?? You don't really know our doctrine or our teachings do you. You can get to the celestial kingdom of heaven. You could, I could, an atheist could. That's why we do proxy work for the dead, so in the next life they will have the chance.

But who are you to say I'm not a Christian? I know my faith, I am a member of it, you aren't.:super:

DeadVegas

joecrawford815 said:
Because accepting Joseph Smith as a prophet has nothing to do with Christianity.
joecrawford815 said:
The same reason that you believe Christians get better treatment than Scientoligists.

But that doesn't work, at least not according to my Bible. One must chose Jesus as their savior in their lifetime, it is not a choice to be made for them after they are dead. My reasoning, once you die you go to heaven or hell (heaven-know GOD, hell-don't) and that cannot be reversed.

Scientologist do not claim Christianity, nor vice versa. That is why. Mormons claim Christianity.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
joecrawford815 said:
But that doesn't work, at least not according to my Bible. One must chose Jesus as their savior in their lifetime, it is not a choice to be made for them after they are dead. My reasoning, once you die you go to heaven or hell (heaven-know GOD, hell-don't) and that cannot be reversed.
they do know god...

some, i feel, know him better than you could ever hope to...

being christian is about actions, not words, judging, and human-made issues such as doctrine.

Just because the Mormons made the choice to know more about Yeshua does not mean they are any less (but, probably more) christian than you.

:149:

Reactions: FFH

Bishka

Veteran Member
joecrawford815 said:

Scientologist do not claim Christianity, nor vice versa. That is why. Mormons claim Christianity.

Isn't that sad....Now what would you say to the young 16 year old Mongalian girl in the 5th century BC before Christ? Does she go automatically to hell? That's a bit ridiculous. So everyone that didn't get to hear the 'good word' in this life get's sent to hell? Bit ridicolous and non-loving of God.

Your last statement makes no sense whatever. Mormons claim Christianity because they are Christian. *sigh*:banghead3

DeadVegas

joecrawford815 said:

It's just the way their belief system works. The point is that they do indeed take Jesus as their savior which is what the definition of Christian is. Personally, I don't know too many Mormons who are dead and have just recently chosen to accept Jesus as savior, unless I were to convert.
:disco:
beckysoup61 said:
*sigh*:banghead3
Quit smacking your head against joecrawford815

Booko

Deviled Hen
joecrawford815 said:

You know, Joe, if you wanted to say that you believed LDS to be a Christian heresy because they had added books, that would be one thing, but what do you think they are if they're not some kind of Christians...Buddhists maybe?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joecrawford815 said:
You asked how Mormons can claim to be Christians when Christians supposedly don't believe Joseph Smith was a prophet. Several of us did, in fact, answer that question. Now, it appears you have a second question. Don't tell us we didn't answer the first one. Now, since you evidently know so much about Mormonism, why don't you give me a few examples from the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price that actually state what you claim they state.