• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormonism????

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttercup said:
JoeCrawford,

My suggestion to you would be to ask questions about who the LDS believe Jesus to be. You will see they believe Jesus to be God. That is what is the definition of a Christian is in my book. I am Christian, but not Mormon, and I believe LDS are Christians. You will learn quite a bit on this site. But it will go better for you if you come in and ask questions rather than throwing out untrue accusations. :)

People don't think that way though; they hear a name, focus on their pre-conceived ideas, add 2 and 2 together and make 15...............Pity people aren't as open to having their minds changed.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Before I took "leave of absence" there were several quite nasty anti-mormon threads.
I am relieved that this opening post has received many posts supporting the LDS view that they are truly Christian.
Those who hold such a negative and narrow view of Christ and his teachings to become anti-Mormon, Have come to the right place to have their Christian views expanded and corrected.

Terry___________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

SoyLeche

meh...
Terrywoodenpic said:
Before I took "leave of absence" there were several quite nasty anti-mormon threads.
I am relieved that this opening post has received many posts supporting the LDS view that they are truly Christian.
Those who hold such a negative and narrow view of Christ and his teachings to become anti-Mormon, Have come to the right place to have their Christian views expanded and corrected.

Terry___________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.
Yeah, there has been a much more postitive feeling in the forum towards Mormons lately - it's been nice.

pdoel

SoyLeche said:
Man - you fixed your quote too early. I was going to ask:

If you don't believe Joseph Smith was a profit - was he a loss or did he just break-even. It was going to be hillarious! :149:

I know. I'm glad I caught that one REAL quick.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Why all the concern about Christian or not Christian? What really matters is how people live their lives--how they treat other people. If people would devote less effort promoting their religions, and more effort living them, the world would be a much better place. PEACE.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Katzpur said:
Mormons claim to be Christians because they worship Jesus Christ as the Son of God and believe Him to be their Savior. Not rocket science really.

really, are you sure that your name "the Chruch of Jesus Christ (Latter Day Saints)" is not just a plot to trick us all? sorry, i couldn't resist :jiggy:

yes, Mormons are Christian, end of!

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
joecrawford815 said:
And Mormons are not Christians.
And just what makes you think that you have the right to tell someone, anyone that they are or are not a Christian? Unless you are claiming to be Jesus Christ or God himself you cannot determine who is or is not a Christian. So lay off the anti-LDS rhetoric.

We have quite a few LDS Christians here on this forum. They are some of the most loving, compassionate and gracious people here. The rest of us who have taken the time to get to know them, may not be versed in LDS doctrine, but we will defend our friends as best we can against attack.

Ask your questions respectfully and we won't have a problem.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
joecrawford815 said:
It is sad but true, and you know why it is true, "I am the Way the Truth and the Life no one comes to the father except through me" That is the verse than saves and condemns all of man kind.

Buttons, think what you want about me, I may sound harsh and judging but I am really concerned for all of you, I don't mean to come off terribly mean but sometimes I just do especiall with things such as God with which I fell very passionatley about. I know the truth and I know God, I foolow him daily and study His word. I love God, I am not perfect nor do I claim to be.

My biggest problem with Mormonism (and all other Christian based reliogions) is that they change scripture (Book of Mormon over 3000 times in 150 years). Sure there are some mormons who might know God and follow Him. I am not questioning that, I am merely questioning Chruch doctrine and LDs belief in general and how it is justified.

As for your use of 'good word' becky why is it quotes? And God is loving, but he is ALSO a judging harsh God. He is everything at once, read Revalation, good stuff. God is a harsh judge and the only reason that Christians are saved is we are covered in the blood of Christ and washed clean of our sins. I stand by the Word when it tells me that those who do not chose to know God do not go to hell. that is why everyday I show my friend the love od God through my actions (faith without action is dead (James)).

And Mormons are not Christians. Jesus is not the spirit child of Elohim and his wife, he is God, not the brother of Satan.
Judge not lest ye be judged.

Well since you started with the judging, now its your turn.

You are not showing love for your neighbour here, you're not loving your neighbour like Christ loved all men.
I'm sorry, but it is YOU who are not Christian. Jesus would be disappointed in you.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
As an atheist, I tend to lump religions together, the common thread (although not in all cases) being the belief in God, gods, goddesses or other supernatural beings. Theists, on the other hand, seem to concentrate on the differences between various sects/denominations--mostly involving rituals and symbols rather than basic principles. Thats when religions can create conflict rather than peace.

Booko

Deviled Hen
retrorich said:
As an atheist, I tend to lump religions together, the common thread (although not in all cases) being the belief in God, gods, goddesses or other supernatural beings. Theists, on the other hand, seem to concentrate on the differences between various sects/denominations--mostly involving rituals and symbols rather than basic principles. Thats when religions can create conflict rather than peace.

You put your finger exactly on the reason my religion goes out of its way to avoid rituals. It becomes a source of division at some point.

I could understand if, say, the RCC said to someone or group: you're not RCC. They have an insitution there with the authority to determine who is in line with RCC principles and who is not.

But does one lone individual member of the RCC have the authority to do that? I don't see how.

So it's one thing if we, as individuals, have our opinions as to what is normative for our religion, but I don't think anyone died and made us individuals a religious institution, much less God.

pdoel

retrorich said:
Why all the concern about Christian or not Christian? What really matters is how people live their lives--how they treat other people. If people would devote less effort promoting their religions, and more effort living them, the world would be a much better place. PEACE.

:clap

Frubals to you, my good friend.

nutshell

Wow. I've been out for a week and it looks like I missed some excitement. I wonder if this joe-somebody will show up again.

SoyLeche

meh...
nutshell said:
Wow. I've been out for a week and it looks like I missed some excitement. I wonder if this joe-somebody will show up again.
This was all today - most of the week has been pretty quiet.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
Yeah, there has been a much more postitive feeling in the forum towards Mormons lately - it's been nice.
You're right. It's been very nice. A big thank you to every non-LDS person who has posted something on this thread to the effect that you believe Latter-day Saints are, in fact, Christians. We really do appreciate your support and value you as friends. All of you are great! :clap

d.

_______
let me just say that the word 'mormonsim' in swedish, though it isn't an actual word, would imply (via the ending -sim) that the swimming hall is reserved for mormons today.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
divine said:
let me just say that the word 'mormonsim' in swedish, though it isn't an actual word, would imply (via the ending -sim) that the swimming hall is reserved for mormons today.
:biglaugh: I'll keep that in mind should I ever visit Sweeden.

I will indeed show up again. I hope you guys don't really believe I was trolling. i know I came off as harsh, I was tired and not quite all there if you know what I mean I had a bad week of testing and well you know. Please accept this as an apology of sorts.

But to continue the thread, I still don't believe that Mormons (for the most part) are Christian. I do have a few reasons, if you are willing to hear them...
1. The whole baptism after death thing.
-John 3:16
- all of Hebrews
-Mark 12:24-27
2. Stepping in for a marriage. (like if one of the people dies)
-Matthew 22:29-32
- Mark 12:24-27
3. Christ as the Spirit Child of Elohim (God) and His wife (of whom the Bible makes no mention) and Brother of Satan.
-John 1
4. Good Works to get to Heaven
-Ephesians 2:8-9
-Matthew 7:21-23
5. Being exalted to "god" status in 'celestial level of heaven'
-Duet. 6
-Exodus 20
6. No proof that the Book of Mormon is God-inspired
-No manuscripts
-No true witnesses (8 claimed to have seen it, 6 came back and admitted they were paid off by Smith.
-No fufilled prophecy
7. Smith was a convicted con artist
-State of New York v. Joesph Smith
*accused and convisted of charging people money to 'find' gold with alledged seer stones. No one ever found the Gold.
8. More that one source of Scripture
-Book of Mormon
-Doctrines and Covenants
- Peark of Great Price
- Smith's translation of the KJV (he made significant changes)

These are just some of the major differences between Biblical Christianity and LDS

Bishka

Veteran Member
joecrawford815 said:
I will indeed show up again. I hope you guys don't really believe I was trolling. i know I came off as harsh, I was tired and not quite all there if you know what I mean I had a bad week of testing and well you know. Please accept this as an apology of sorts.

But to continue the thread, I still don't believe that Mormons (for the most part) are Christian. I do have a few reasons, if you are willing to hear them...
1. The whole baptism after death thing.
- all of Hebrews
-Mark 12:24-27
2. Stepping in for a marriage. (like if one of the people dies)
-Matthew 22:29-32
- Mark 12:24-27
3. Christ as the Spirit Child of Elohim (God) and His wife (of whom the Bible makes no mention) and Brother of Satan.
-John 1
4. Good Works to get to Heaven
-Ephesians 2:8-9
-Matthew 7:21-23
5. Being exalted to "god" status in 'celestial level of heaven'
-Duet. 6
-Exodus 20
6. No proof that the Book of Mormon is God-inspired
-No manuscripts
-No true witnesses (8 claimed to have seen it, 6 came back and admitted they were paid off by Smith.
-No fufilled prophecy
7. Smith was a convicted con artist
-State of New York v. Joesph Smith
*accused and convisted of charging people money to 'find' gold with alledged seer stones. No one ever found the Gold.
8. More that one source of Scripture
-Book of Mormon
-Doctrines and Covenants
- Peark of Great Price
- Smith's translation of the KJV (he made significant changes)

These are just some of the major differences between Biblical Christianity and LDS

Sigh.. How about you take them one at a time and stop going on anti-mormon websites. How about you ask people who really were in the Church. BTW, I don't think a single soul will answer your questions. We know they are false, and if you aren't really interested in the Church (which we have so throughly found out), why are you here? To try to prove to members on this site that Mormons aren't Christian. Well buddy, if you haven't already found out by their responses, you are convincing nobody.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joecrawford815 said:
Sorry, I'd accept your apology if it were not immediately followed by the continuation of your argument. You obviously don't understand what our doctrines really are. I would suggest that, if you sincerely do want to know, you take each one of your eight points, and post them -- in the form of a question -- in the subform for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You will find it under "Restorationists" in the Christianity discussion forum. It would be extremely difficult for any of us to respond with an in-depth answer to all eight of these points in a single thread. Besides, this is a debate thread, and your examples are really not debate-oriented.