• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mormonism????

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joecrawford815 said:
Come on if you are not willing to follow the writings of the founder of you religion or the presidents or prophets then what are you following, who is to say that the Book of Mormon is more true that the Journal of Discourses?
Joe, there is not a religion I can think of that does not claim the right to declare its own doctrines. When one of our prophets receives a revelation from God (and, yes, we already know you think of that statement), it is presented to the Quorum of the Twelve, the men who have been called as Apostles. Together, they pray about it, to receive personal confirmation that it was, in fact, from God. Once they are in agreement on it, the revelation is presented to the membership of the Church. In a sustaining vote, the members of the Church ratify that they accept God's word, as revealed through His personally appointed Prophet. The new teaching then becomes doctrine. The Journal of Discourses is nothing more than a collection of uncanonized sermons given over a period of many years. If Joseph Smith or Brigham Young had felt they should be canonized, the steps would have taken place to make that happen.

SoyLeche

meh...
Booko said:
You mean to say that at the dinner table when Joseph Smith said, "please pass the cheese" he wasn't speaking prophetically? :faint:
LOL. That reminds me of a story that is told of Joseph Smith. One night all he and his family had to eat were a couple of Johnny Cakes. As he was saying the prayer over the food he said something to the effect of "Lord, we are thankful for these Johnny Cakes, but please send something better." Before the meal was over someone knocked at the door bringing a ham :disco:

Booko

Deviled Hen
SoyLeche said:
LOL. That reminds me of a story that is told of Joseph Smith. One night all he and his family had to eat were a couple of Johnny Cakes. As he was saying the prayer over the food he said something to the effect of "Lord, we are thankful for these Johnny Cakes, but please send something better." Before the meal was over someone knocked at the door bringing a ham :disco:

That's a great story, SL! :trampo:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SoyLeche said:
I've been reading a book called "By the Hand of Mormon" by Terryl Givens. So far, he has been going through most of the arguments against the Book of Mormon and talked about how LDS apologists have dealt with them. It's been very interesting. While the author is LDS, he is a scholar, and has tried very hard to be objective. It's worth a read if you've got the time.
Sounds like a great book, SoyLeche. I'm going to pick one up the next chance I get.

SoyLeche

meh...
Katzpur said:
Sounds like a great book, SoyLeche. I'm going to pick one up the next chance I get.
It's pretty good. You don't get to many books about the Book of Mormon published by Oxford Press - and the author used to be the Bishop of the ward I'm in, although they have moved now.

Bishka

Veteran Member
BTW, I should say sorry about the personal attack. I've been here long enough to know not to do that.:sorry1: :sorry1: :sorry1:

SoyLeche

meh...
turk179 said:
Seeing how Joe treats other Christians, I can only imagine how he feels about my religion.
You aren't a part of a religion - you're in a devil worshipping cult!!!! How could you forget that? :fork: :rolleyes:

turk179

I smell something....
SoyLeche said:
You aren't a part of a religion - you're in a devil worshipping cult!!!! How could you forget that? :fork: :rolleyes:
:biglaugh: . Sometimes I forget. And now I must run away:run: (just because I like the smiley.)

SoyLeche

meh...
turk179 said:
:biglaugh: . Sometimes I forget. And now I must run away:run: (just because I like the smiley.)
Yeah, I know a lot about cults. Apparently I've been in one my whole life. You'd never guess if you actually knew me.

Booko

Deviled Hen
SoyLeche said:
Yeah, I know a lot about cults. Apparently I've been in one my whole life. You'd never guess if you actually knew me.
I know exactly what you mean.

If you're in my area, maybe you'd like to stop by for our monthly Inter-Cult Wacko Symposium? :biglaugh:

SoyLeche

meh...
Booko said:
I know exactly what you mean.

If you're in my area, maybe you'd like to stop by for our monthly Inter-Cult Wacko Symposium? :biglaugh:
Oh, that's in your area this year? I haven't gotten my invitation yet.

Booko

Deviled Hen
SoyLeche said:
Oh, that's in your area this year? I haven't gotten my invitation yet.
Maybe they're late sending out the emails....

....or maybe they've been intercepted by the Religious Police? :eek:

maggie2

I had not read any of this thread until this evening. I still have not read every post because that would take forever. However, I have read most of them.

I just need to say to those Mormons on this forum how much I admire your ability to address these rude comments with calmness and courtesy. If I had enough frubas I'd give one to each and every Mormon who responded with such Christ-like patience. You rock!!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
maggie2 said:
I had not read any of this thread until this evening. I still have not read every post because that would take forever. However, I have read most of them.

I just need to say to those Mormons on this forum how much I admire your ability to address these rude comments with calmness and courtesy. If I had enough frubas I'd give one to each and every Mormon who responded with such Christ-like patience. You rock!!
Thanks, Maggie. It comes from practice, which we get a lot of. :D

Except the fact that I have been personally attacked about, I don't know 12 or 13 times. I have not personally attacked one of them, just the Doctrines of their faith, and not even attackes, criticized. I love it how you guys are willing to accept everyone's beliefs except mine. It is so awesome that you preach tolerance and universal acceptance, but when I come and say that I believe my relationship (religion) with Christ or Christianity as the Bible spells out then you say I'm not tolerant and a 'troll'. You guys keep throwing the same verses at my face and I keep telling you to look at the context of the word 'judge' and everytime another person says do not judge me. I'm not just your faith, and for the 20th time 1 Thess. 5:21 "'Examine everythind and holdfast to that which is true,' says the Word of the Lord."
I don't know how many times I am going to have to justify myself with that verse. I don't pray to find out what is right, because the Word says not to. You accuse me of not knowing LDS doctrine and as I have admitted over 10 times, I have been wrong and with every admittance comes a sincere apology.
And let me clarify my use of the term cult,again, *sighs*.

Cult: Any religious movement, secular or not, that does not follow the Bible.

I use the term different than the vast majority of you, I am not talking about your faiths as if they are the 'Happy Rainbow Family" or the 'Manson Family" or even the 'Rashnishis' I know that your faiths are not extremist and ridiculous, but I also know that they are not going to lead to Heaven. I am truly concerned for all of you and love you. Please believe that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
joecrawford815 said:
Why don't you modify that to say "Cult: any religious movement that does not interpret the Bible in the same way I do"? Because that's what it really gets down to.

I am not talking about your faiths as if they are the 'Happy Rainbow Family" or the 'Manson Family" or even the 'Rashnishis' I know that your faiths are not extremist and ridiculous, but I also know that they are not going to lead to Heaven.
Well, I'm sorry to have to burst your bubble, Joe, but I rather suspect that when I stand before God to be judged, He's not going to ask for your opinion on the matter. You don't know whether I'm going to go to Heaven or not. To say you do, is highly presumptuous.

I am truly concerned for all of you and love you. Please believe that.
Please excuse me for pointing this out, but you have a very odd way of showing your love.

By the way, I would appreciate seeing you address the line I put in boldface in my post #159 on this thread.

Bishka

Veteran Member
joecrawford815 said:

Where the heck did you get your defintion? CARM? Seriously, a cult can be anything. It does not have to follow the Bible. It can be PAgan, Buddhist, Chrisitan, Scientilogist, etc.

Taken from dictionary.com

The followers of such a religion or sect.
A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.

So basically we all belong to a cult. You, me, Charles Manson, Kathryn, The Pope, The Prophet of the LDS Church, etc. We all belong to one cult or another. Simple as that.

Booko

Deviled Hen
joecrawford815 said:
Except the fact that I have been personally attacked about, I don't know 12 or 13 times. I have not personally attacked one of them, just the Doctrines of their faith, and not even attackes, criticized. I love it how you guys are willing to accept everyone's beliefs except mine. It is so awesome that you preach tolerance and universal acceptance, but when I come and say that I believe my relationship (religion) with Christ or Christianity as the Bible spells out then you say I'm not tolerant and a 'troll'.

Did someone call you a troll in this thread? I think I missed that.

At any rate, how do you know that I don't accept your beliefs? You haven't exactly asked, have you?

What I don't accept is the idea that it promotes dialogue to swipe material from an obvious anti-Mormon source, toss it up here, and then expect all the Mormons here to just bow down humbly at the wisdom you have presented them. It's just bad tactics, Joe.

You guys keep throwing the same verses at my face and I keep telling you to look at the context of the word 'judge' and everytime another person says do not judge me.

Well, why not pop into the Islam area and ask the people there what they think about the reliability of your Book? I'm willing to bet when the shoes on the other foot, you won't be so fond of the same kind of treatment.

And let me clarify my use of the term cult,again, *sighs*.

Um, Joe, if you want to be taken seriously, it would be more useful to use a common definition of cult. It's generally a pejorative these days, except in the most academic circles, which this ain't.

If you want to continue to use "cult" in a way that would refer to entire world religions, that's fine, but then you can't exactly complain when people react badly and think you just insulted them.

Also, be very clear on this: there are plenty of Jews out there who could rightly claim that *you* are not following the Bible, so Christianity is a "cult." Now...do you think the term is applied justly?