• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, I know what karma is. While I do believe in the biblical concept concerning one reaps what they sow; karma is different. Karma is based on the belief of reincarnation and that one’s actions or behavior in life will determine the status of their next reincarnated life.
No, it is not based upon the idea of reincarnation. That is wrong. It is based actually more in psychology, before there was a field of psychology. It's basically about patterns of behavior that creates your destiny. If you repeat the same practices, say a chronic liar, you're patterning your life such that it will generate consequences. That's karma. That's not based upon life after death. That's based upon living our life out of balance with the way of the universe, or "God's will", if you prefer.

Now, where reincarnation comes in, that is simply to say that those patterns we establish in this life will follow us into the next. Just as if we patterned those things in our early teens and never did anything to correct or change those patterns, they will continue into adulthood and we will reap the consequences.

So too in Christianity. You imagine you can just magically all be perfect and no consequences for your actions in this life when you appear in the afterlife? Jesus' blood means you don't have to change the patterns of your behaviors, thoughts, and actions, and such? It's just all magically erased without any behavioral changes? Doesn't scripture itself teach about purifying the dross? It's the same thing. Everyone will give an account. That's karma, more or less. Just different language for saying the same thing.

Reincarnation is unbiblical and contrary to the biblical truth of resurrection and that humans have one life, then comes the judgement. Therefore, karma is not true from a biblical perspective, which is the view I hold.
That is of course your interpretation of that one verse making a whole theology out if it. Yet, reincarnation itself was something some early Christians believed. One of the church fathers himself did, in his own way of understand that.

But to call that "unbiblical" in really meaningless. It doesn't teach against it, nor does it outright teach it. To say that something that isn't in the Bible is "unbiblical", leads to a sinkhole for you. The "Bible" is "unbiblical too". Nowhere does it list the books you have in your Bible, nor does it ever use the word bible either. Therefore you are unbiblical too. :)

Point is, whether a Christian believes in this or not, is not a matter of them being false apostate Christians. That's is just ungracious, crude judgmentalism. I'd really suggest spending some time digesting Romans 14 before you start pointing fingers at other Christians like this. I'm pretty sure God doesn't approve of that, long before giving two hoots about things like believing in reincarnation and whatnot.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
Really? You think everything there is to know and understand about God is all there, and you should never try to think outside the ideas of your forefathers' thinking? I honestly do not believe Christianity was ever intended to be static thinking for 2000 years straight. You don't believe me? Yet doesn't the Bible talk about building upon a foundation? What, you think the foundation is the whole building itself?

Saying you can have no other ideas to elaborate, expand, or offer new and refreshed insights, is not building anything at all. That's just reruns of the same show, over and over and over and over and over again. That's not what Christianity began as. Why make it that now? Fear you can't tell what resonates as true? Don't trust yourself?
I trust Jesus Christ. He is enough, He is completely sufficient and all anyone needs to know to have an eternal relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth is fully provided in the scriptures. There is nothing static about the information the infinite Creator has given us, in my view.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
More and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation

Why are Christians adopting Hindu karma & reincarnation ? | Jeffrey Armstrong | Vedic Vidya | India - YouTube

Very interesting video

A question to all. Why do more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation? What is the reason?
Westerners typically don't believe in Karma as Hindus and Buddhists would recognize it. It tends to be more confined to this life, with "what goes around comes around" being more the idea rather than the totality of one's actions that guide them through their reincarnations.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No, it is not based upon the idea of reincarnation. That is wrong. It is based actually more in psychology, before there was a field of psychology. It's basically about patterns of behavior that creates your destiny. If you repeat the same practices, say a chronic liar, you're patterning your life such that it will generate consequences. That's karma. That's not based upon life after death. That's based upon living our life out of balance with the way of the universe, or "God's will", if you prefer.

Let's say a soul was born as a worm due to past lifes Karma. How would you psychoanalyse it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Westerners typically don't believe in Karma as Hindus and Buddhists would recognize it. It tends to be more confined to this life, with "what goes around comes around" being more the idea rather than the totality of one's actions that guide them through their reincarnations.

In all honesty, you just described one aspect of Karma/Vipaka.

Clara Tea

Why are Christians adopting Hindu karma & reincarnation ? | Jeffrey Armstrong | Vedic Vidya | India - YouTube

Very interesting video

A question to all. Why do more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation? What is the reason?

Revelation (a chapter of the New Testament (Christian) bible) said that if Babylon, Iraq, is attacked, after God commanded them not to attack Iraq, God will punish them severely (Revelation 15: covid)(Revelation: Armageddon. . . destruction of the whole world and all live in it).

Karma is the belief that if we do evil, we will be hurt (by fate or God).

More people believe this now because the W. Bush administration defied God by attacking Babylon, Iraq, after God specifically commanded them not to, and now we suffer with all of the plagues that Revelation said that we would.

According to the bible, the Dragon (Satanic demon from the Lake of Fire of Hell), and his son (born of his mouth), the Beast, both attacked Iraq (according to the bible, there was a different leader between the Presidency of Bush and W. Bush). According to the bible, when those two Satanic demons from Hell attacked Iraq, it was a package deal. That is, when you put Satan in charge, He doesn't just make wars without justifications, He also destroys God's environment (God's pride and joy), and causes Global Warming, hurricanes, droughts, floods, pollution, plagues, pestilence, wars, and torture camps.

Putting Satan in charge puts all of Satan's attributes in charge (greed, fear, lies, etc).

So, the world is beginning to see, now that God is punishing us for electing Satanic demons to the presidency of the United States, that doing evil (thou shalt not kill. . . killing is evil) results in God's wrath.

God sees the future. So, God knows that if we take one path (for example, the path of war), we will have one outcome, and if we had followed God's commandments, instead, we would have an entirely different outcome.

Thus, defying God results in bad Karma (a package deal when you elect Satanic demons to the presidency).

Clara Tea

Let's say a soul was born as a worm due to past lifes Karma. How would you psychoanalyse it?

StackPath

Instead of a psychologist's couch, you would construct a worm bed (instructions in the link above). Then, with a heavy German accent, you would answer any of the worm's questions with questions (not answers). This would lead the worm to reveal, to himself, the causes of angst. Worms have a complicated psyche, since often they are impaled on fish hooks and used as bait.

Generally, worms have to seek outside psychological help because they don't have fingers, so can't Google information about their psychological traumas.

The early family life of worms is devoid of parental guidance. It's as if mom and pop left and the poor baby worm is on its own in this vast cruel world. That has to be wearing on the worm's mind.

Some worms psychologically snap and become evil. Take, for example, Onchocerca Volvulus (the African Eyeworm). It lives primarily in the gut, but apparently human hosts were not the original hosts for the worm (long extinct now). So, in the larval stage, the African Eyeworms migrate under the skin of the host, sometimes encountering obstacles, like elbows, so they form nodules. In their trip around the body (through the lungs, through the heart, etc., they do a lot of damage, and near the surface of the skin they itch so badly that their hosts are almost willing to commit suicide.

Diagnosis of parasitic African Eyeworms is accomplished either by painfullly cutting off the 1 inch nodules on the skin, containing the worm larvi, or looking into the eyes, where larval worms live. African Eyeworms are the leading cause of blindness in the world. The mother worm lays perhaps a million eggs per year, which hatch and travel around the body. Blindness is not caused by the worms, themselves, but by the inflammation due to alergic reactions and attacks by white blood cells in the eyes.

Clara Tea

To be quite honest, I always thought Christianity accepted at least some form of Karma. It’s just they didn’t call it that
I mean “you reap what you sow” is basically Karma in a nutshell.

Though accepting reincarnation is a little surprising. Though I suppose I have heard of that idea being adopted by the more universal minded sects. The whole “prophets of god appearing in different forms for the world” thing.

"Reap what you sow" seems like a direct cause and effect. Whereas Karma seems to have mysterious consequences (punishments that seem unrelated to actions).

If you rob a bank, you might get arrested during the robbery. But, if you shot someone, years ago, Karma might, years later, harm you, with no connection to the crime that anyone can discern.

Defying God (since God knows the future) might result in punishment that seems like Karma, but it might just be that taking a certain path in life inevitably leads to certain consequences.

Thus, electing President W. Bush resulted in unjust wars, torture camps, environmental damage (denial of Global Warming), lies, debt, bankruptcies, making the rich richer at the expense of the working middle class, creating more poor and more homeless, making people lose jobs, pestilence, disease, etc. Electing a Satanic demon is a package deal, and God knows that because God sees the future.

So, electing a certain Satanic demon to the presidency would have results that look like Karma, but, in reality, they are the inevitable outcome of electing a demon who is apathetic about helping hurricane victims, and someone who doesn't care about God's children.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
New Game Plus is not “Hindu”. It is a belief that Hindus hold… but they are not the only ones. Just because someone believes in some version of reincarnation does not mean they are “adopting Hindu” culture.
There's also rebirth. Yet I don't see Christianity accepting reincarnation as a thing, as it's incompatible with the doctrine. It's more themed as resurrection which comes across as different to me.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Very interesting video

the word regeneration in the Bible is literally the ancient word used for reincarnation.

Matthew 19:28
Titus 3:5

And then you have the case of John the Baptist being formerly Elijah.

Also, the inference of the blind boy at
John 9:2

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Very interesting video

Thank you for sharing

1) It's not "Hindu" property, esp. if true
2) Truth can be convincing to adopt
3) All have conscience = know the Truth

People are never to old to learn new stuff

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
"Reap what you sow" seems like a direct cause and effect. Whereas Karma seems to have mysterious consequences (punishments that seem unrelated to actions).

If you rob a bank, you might get arrested during the robbery. But, if you shot someone, years ago, Karma might, years later, harm you, with no connection to the crime that anyone can discern.

Defying God (since God knows the future) might result in punishment that seems like Karma, but it might just be that taking a certain path in life inevitably leads to certain consequences.

Thus, electing President W. Bush resulted in unjust wars, torture camps, environmental damage (denial of Global Warming), lies, debt, bankruptcies, making the rich richer at the expense of the working middle class, creating more poor and more homeless, making people lose jobs, pestilence, disease, etc. Electing a Satanic demon is a package deal, and God knows that because God sees the future.

So, electing a certain Satanic demon to the presidency would have results that look like Karma, but, in reality, they are the inevitable outcome of electing a demon who is apathetic about helping hurricane victims, and someone who doesn't care about God's children.
So it’s all like predestination?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The only doctrinal reincarnation idea I have heard is from Judaism. I am no expert on this but Judaism apparently teaches that children who die without knowing the world well will be reincarnated. I would love to see someone knowledgeable in this theology to correct me, but this is all I have heard.

I have never heard or read any other reincarnation theology based on the Bible or in Christianity as a whole. I have not heard, but there could be some who assert that. I would like to hear about those who do.

https://www.theosophical.org/files/resources/articles/ReincarnationChristianity.pdf has a set of points covering the history of the belief and how a few passages of the Bible can be interpreted to support that belief.

https://epubs.utah.edu/index.php/historia/article/view/578 is another source that goes over the same territory.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I trust Jesus Christ. He is enough, He is completely sufficient and all anyone needs to know to have an eternal relationship with the Creator of heaven and earth is fully provided in the scriptures.
So, what you know and believe, being good enough for you, should be good enough for everyone else? And if anyone else deviates from what is good enough for you, you consider them to be apostate Christians and you write posts condemning them as such? You don't see anything terribly suspect about your approach here? I do.

There is nothing static about the information the infinite Creator has given us, in my view.
If you disallow information in to inform your points of view, then your beliefs are static. Yes. I prefer beliefs to be open, allowing, curious, interested, and alive. Static is dead, or stagnant, as opposed fresh and lifegiving.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are people who live their lives as humans as if they were worms, and bugs, and rats, and vermin. And that is based upon patterns in their lives that they persist in, that creates the experiences of their lives as such for themselves.

But you miss the actual point of what Karma teaches. It's about reaping what you sow from your patterned behaviors. That is something that touches on human behaviors and psychology. Someone speculating about worms having been bad people in the past is just that. Speculation.

Who knows, and who really cares? And focusing on speculative stuff like that, is just a distraction from the real point of it, which is taking responsibility and changing our karma in order to be better people. Right?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Because there are various ideas about reincarnation we should be clear about which one is under discussion. From what I accept, once someone achieves human form, it is utterly rare to lose it. This is of course not the only conception about how the process works.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Confusion, lack of understanding, fads, etc. Christianity and the concept of karma as understood by the Dharmic religions are incompatible. Same as with reincarnation. We believe in the resurrection of the dead and that the body we have now, we will be reunited with in the future for all eternity. We are forever in Christianity, not just disposable masks a spirit wears for a time and then discards.

You have rightfully criticized some people's speaking on behalf of others (on behalf of Black people, specifically) in other posts. I'm not sure why you're now speaking on behalf of Christians despite the fact that Christians are quite a diverse group and many of them disagree with your view of Christianity.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Why do more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation? What is the reason?

If the claim is true, then really I suppose one should ask those Christians.

In my understanding karma simply means intentional action so it isn't really anything to believe in or not believe in. Again, in my understanding, reincarnation is concerned with what happens to the soul, so it would not seem surprising that some Christians accept reincarnation as something real. Belief in an eternal soul is not a belief of mine.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
No lack of judgmentalism of your fellow Christians happening there! You do know that all those verses could be any other Christians against you too, if they felt uncomfortable with your views too? Maybe you should look at that? "Judge not, lest you be judged".
How can you be Christian if you believe things directly opposite what your sacred text teaches?
There's lots of warnings in scripture about falling into false teachings. If you can just believe whatever you want and still be a Christian why are those warnings there?