• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
More and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation

Why are Christians adopting Hindu karma & reincarnation ? | Jeffrey Armstrong | Vedic Vidya | India - YouTube

Very interesting video

A question to all. Why do more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation? What is the reason?
To be quite honest, I always thought Christianity accepted at least some form of Karma. It’s just they didn’t call it that
I mean “you reap what you sow” is basically Karma in a nutshell.

Though accepting reincarnation is a little surprising. Though I suppose I have heard of that idea being adopted by the more universal minded sects. The whole “prophets of god appearing in different forms for the world” thing.

nPeace

Veteran Member
How is this relevant?
Aren't you implying with your quoted scripture, that karma and reincarnation are Biblical?
If I didn't get the connection correctly, my apologies. Please correct me.

The Jews believed that the sins of the parents fell on their children.
God and Jesus said, 'Stop with that thinking. Cease it."
The children will answer for their own errors. They will not be made to pay for the sins of their parents.

So basically. Very politely, Jesus said to his disciples, in other words, "No my friends. The parents sins did not cause the child to be born blind."

Regarding the question "Did the child sin in the womb, or in a previous life?"
No Jew believed that, so Jesus put those ideas to rest also, with his reply.

The scriptures do not say where the idea came from, but Jews that left Jehovah and mixed with idol worshippers did adopt their beliefs.
They were considered by God, as spiritual prostitutes.
So, it would not be surprising that Jewish cultures may have been the source, and some of these did have an influence on those who then became disciples of Christ.

Remember that Jesus on many occasions had to correct some of their views.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I got a very interesting tidbit about this.

I have a friend, who I will not name, who is a devout Catholic. She believes pretty much everything the Catholic church practices, including opposition to the LGBTQ crowd and abortion. However, she has one drastic difference in view from most Catholics, even Christians in general. She believes Catholic purgatory exists as life. So, in her opinion, 1/3 of people will go to Hell, 1/3 of people go to Heaven, and yet 1/3 of people get reincarnated and try again to go to either Hell or Heaven. It's quite interesting that she has this view because she pretty much owes her life to the Catholic church and every other opinion she has is straight up Catholic.

Would you call this individual Catholic based on what I said?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why do more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation? What is the reason?
Confusion, lack of understanding, fads, etc. Christianity and the concept of karma as understood by the Dharmic religions are incompatible. Same as with reincarnation. We believe in the resurrection of the dead and that the body we have now, we will be reunited with in the future for all eternity. We are forever in Christianity, not just disposable masks a spirit wears for a time and then discards.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Matt 11:14, 16:13-14, 17:11-13.
Thanks.
(John 1:19-21) 19 This is the witness John gave when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him: “Who are you?” 20 And he admitted it and did not deny it, saying: “I am not the Christ.” 21And they asked him: “What, then? Are you Elijah?” He replied: “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered: “No!”

Does the Bible Teach Reincarnation?
Neither the word reincarnation nor the idea appears in the Bible. Belief in reincarnation is based on the teaching of the immortality of the soul. However, the Bible teaches that the soul is the entire person and is thus mortal. (Genesis 2:7, footnote; Ezekiel 18:4) At death, a person ceases to exist. - Genesis 3:19; Ecclesiastes 9:5-6.

John performed a work like Elijah’s, proclaiming God’s message calling for repentance. (1 Kings 18:36-37; Matthew 3:1) John also proved to be “strong and mighty like the prophet Elijah.” - Luke 1:13-17

InChrist

Free4ever
Yes of course. Any divergence in views amongst Christians is automatically due to sin and apostasy. It must be the devil at work in someone's life for them to rethink one's beliefs about things they grew up with, or to have any different views than other Christians, right? ;)

"By their fruits you shall know them", not by their ideas about the afterlife, BTW. I really don't recognize such thinking as branding everything different as apostasy, as valid from a Christian perspective.
No, it’s not about rethinking or questioning one’s beliefs, it’s that divergence from the scriptures and the faith once for all delivered to the saints is, according to God’s word... apostasy.

InChrist

Free4ever
BTW, do you even know anything about what Karma is? Ever hear of the law of reaping what you sow? This isn't some demonology crap. I think your fear is just that fear of what you don't understand. Why judge other Christians out of your own ignorance about these things? That to me is far more dangerous than what you condemning them over.
Yes, I know what karma is. While I do believe in the biblical concept concerning one reaps what they sow; karma is different. Karma is based on the belief of reincarnation and that one’s actions or behavior in life will determine the status of their next reincarnated life. Reincarnation is unbiblical and contrary to the biblical truth of resurrection and that humans have one life, then comes the judgement. Therefore, karma is not true from a biblical perspective, which is the view I hold.

firedragon

Veteran Member

firedragon

Veteran Member

Why are Christians adopting Hindu karma & reincarnation ? | Jeffrey Armstrong | Vedic Vidya | India - YouTube

Very interesting video

A question to all. Why do more and more christians believe in karma and reincarnation? What is the reason?

With all due respect, this guy says that there was no English translation of the Bible when the British colonised India. That's false and people might believe a nice talk, but this is false. He speaks of a survey of Christians which could be true, but I would like to read this survey. He speaks of Hindus, Zero, Sanskrit being the mother language, etc etc and the superiority of the Hindu's.

F1fan

Veteran Member

QuestioningMind

Very interesting video

I suspect it has to do with how most Christians have been taught to cherry pick the things they like about the bible and ignore the rest. They are simply expanding that philosophy beyond Christian texts.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To be quite honest, I always thought Christianity accepted at least some form of Karma. It’s just they didn’t call it that
I mean “you reap what you sow” is basically Karma in a nutshell.

Yes, exactly. The only difference is the wording.

Though accepting reincarnation is a little surprising.

There are those who assert that reincarnation was part of early Christianity. I'm not a scholar and can't comment about the logic and historical accuracy of those who assert that.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, exactly. The only difference is the wording.

There are those who assert that reincarnation was part of early Christianity. I'm not a scholar and can't comment about the logic and historical accuracy of those who assert that.
Interesting

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, it’s not about rethinking or questioning one’s beliefs, it’s that divergence from the scriptures and the faith once for all delivered to the saints is, according to God’s word... apostasy.
Really? You think everything there is to know and understand about God is all there, and you should never try to think outside the ideas of your forefathers' thinking? I honestly do not believe Christianity was ever intended to be static thinking for 2000 years straight. You don't believe me? Yet doesn't the Bible talk about building upon a foundation? What, you think the foundation is the whole building itself?

Saying you can have no other ideas to elaborate, expand, or offer new and refreshed insights, is not building anything at all. That's just reruns of the same show, over and over and over and over and over again. That's not what Christianity began as. Why make it that now? Fear you can't tell what resonates as true? Don't trust yourself?

firedragon

Veteran Member

The only doctrinal reincarnation idea I have heard is from Judaism. I am no expert on this but Judaism apparently teaches that children who die without knowing the world well will be reincarnated. I would love to see someone knowledgeable in this theology to correct me, but this is all I have heard.

I have never heard or read any other reincarnation theology based on the Bible or in Christianity as a whole. I have not heard, but there could be some who assert that. I would like to hear about those who do.