• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Worth of Animals

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
you're a black and white. polarized. i have a limited amount of time. your posts aren't the only one's i ignore. nor are your "facts" the only ones. sometimes i simply quit responding to threads and posts just to let the person have the last world.

nothing personal

Bullpoop, talk of projection. You live in your own bubble and when anything threatens that bubble you ignore it in the hope it will go away. You will not entertain shades of grey. Both those posts destroyed your argument and you know it, hence the skipping them. It speaks volumes. Thanks anyway. I see no point in chatting

Gargovic Malkav

The Moral Worth of Animals

Are humans morally superior to animals? I think not, it isn't exactly egalitarian, either, but close.

Animals can be brutal, but many people don't judge them for their brutality because they believe those animals can't help it because it's in their nature, and thus should be left in their dignity and treated with respect.
Some humans are like those animals, but many people would still judge them for it because they are humans.

I find this question difficult to answer.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
close but no cigar

a lesser intelligent being can't explain to you why it moral to love your enemies

Would that mean humans born with intellectual disabilities are lower than those with average intelligence?

We are valued as humans because of our intelligence and morality rather a human in and of itself?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Are humans morally superior to animals? I think not, it isn't exactly egalitarian, either, but close.

I read years ago that we as animals fell from our human nature. It was from a zen book and the author emphasized zen meditation is like being the frog and only sitting and being. Eat, drink, but have no "extra" that's keeping one from awakening. It could be the other way around. Animals are superior and humans forgot about their instinct.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Animals can be brutal, but many people don't judge them for their brutality because they believe those animals can't help it because it's in their nature, and thus should be left in their dignity and treated with respect.
Some humans are like those animals, but many people would still judge them for it because they are humans.

I find this question difficult to answer.

Their morality differs from ours, but it does not make them any superior or inferior to us.
We can judge other humans based on human nature and morals, we shouldn't judge animals based on human morality though.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I read years ago that we as animals fell from our human nature. It was from a zen book and the author emphasized zen meditation is like being the frog and only sitting and being. Eat, drink, but have no "extra" that's keeping one from awakening. It could be the other way around. Animals are superior and humans forgot about their instinct.

Humans, the only animal that fights against their very Nature

Heyo

Veteran Member

A difficult topic. I haven't come to a conclusion but I haven't thought very hard about it. As long as we still struggle with equality among humans and as long as we still struggle with racism, I find it not so urgent to think about equality with other animals or speciism.

ChristineM

Premium Member
He's just sharing his opinion. It was inappropriate in the other thread. That's different that cursing and attacking. I've never seen fill to debate like others on RF. We choose our words. That can't slip out as it may in person.

Who is cursing? And a difference of opinion is not an attack.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Its a confusing issue that can be reframed in different ways. Humans need morals, but animals don't. They have instincts. It is of necessity that each person commit to being better than animals. We need morals when our instincts are destructive, inefficient, cause problems unless we just accept that destruction and that instinct; but in that case we throw away whatever morals provide us with. That is unacceptable.

Its not a bad article. In defense of some of orthodoxy Aristotle didn't know as much as we do, today, about the differences between instincts and ideas. He didn't know how animals behaved like they did and how we were different, so he had to somehow propose what that difference was. He also wanted to inspire people to be better than animals. That still has some value today. We still do not know everything and still must account for the difference, and we must hold people to a better standard than that of animals.

I didn't think the argument in the beginning of the article to had a tight logical construction, though it made some points. For example "I don’t think my experience is uncommon since most people believe that animals can be wronged. If something can be wronged, then it has moral worth. So, it’s uncontroversial that non-human animals have moral worth." Is assuming too much about most people and its conclusion about this being uncontroversial. People don't always frame the question the same way. It makes the point that animals can be wronged. Yes, I agree that they can be wronged. Most of them cannot do any wrong or cannot easily be made aware of it, unlike us. That awareness is the only chance we have of not destroying the entire planet.

"Since it seems we can’t explain why humans are morally superior then perhaps we aren’t." No, but we must be. There is no option, because if we aren't then we are destructive. There is no middle ground for us.

ChristineM

Premium Member
My comment wasn't pointing out any person particular. I just notice the growing hostility over a difference of opinion that was inappropriate in the the thread.

He made his claims and refused to justify them. I have not seen the stick fingers in ears and sing "la, la, la i can't hear you" technique for several years. I think everyone was getting a little frustrated with the callous and arrogant foot stomping and no justification.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He made his claims and refused to justify them. I have not seen the stick fingers in ears and sing "la, la, la i can't hear you" technique for several years. I think everyone was getting a little frustrated with the callous and arrogant foot stomping and no justification.

I get what you're saying; your feelings are justified "and" that still leaves that we can't control others only ourselves-ideally-in what we type. So what "if" he is ignoring people (we don't know. Online doesn't give us context for that sort of assumption), its not like we're in the other thread. I don't know the OP's intentions, but my comment (rather) really isn't pined at anyone in particular. I'm sure what we perceive as insults is just taking things personally, no? (Yes justified "and" taking it personally)