• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Worth of Animals

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
again i never stated anything about killing. you're misrepresenting what was said

You responded to this post of mine:
Most people I've talked to can't, either, if they believe in such highly impractical tenets in the first place.

But I generally find suppositions of "intelligence" a poor argument either for or against moral worth. Why would it be moral to do harm to a creature incapable of language or human reasoning? They are still being harmed, and still feel pain, they are just less capable of articulating the how and why.
With this response:
because a lower intelligent being can't be creative and loving on the scale of a human.

i didn't say anything about killing. you're on another planet of your own making

If you weren't advocating that harming creatures of lower intelligence is moral, then what exactly was the "because" in response to? What part of my post were you justifying with that "because"?

Or did you quote me by mistake?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
personal comments about anyone doesn't override the fact that animals of lower intelligence will never have the same moral apptitude for bettering not only their species but others.

You appear to be conflating morality and intelligence
So why not answer post #10

As for personal comments, nothing more than you have demonstrated on 2 threads

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Your existence kills many animals, many animals die every day because of you, so if animals are worth the same as humans, shouldn’t you kill yourself and save all those animals?
It's actually possible to minimize the harm we do if we put our mind to it. The same is, incidentially, possible for the harm we do to other human beings.

Of course, that requires us seeing the harm we do as an actual moral problem.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Your existence kills many animals, many animals die every day because of you, so if animals are worth the same as humans, shouldn’t you kill yourself and save all those animals?

That's a silly comparison of morality. And also why the egalitarian model doesn't fit perfectly.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Can a human child explain that? Can most human adults explain that? Are you saying that they have less moral worth because it's over their heads?
everything has moral worth but not everything is moral.

so a case by case situation is taken. once a moral act fails then we know the mettle of a thing.

i go to the dentist to get my teeth clean twice a year. I lay there uncomfortably for 30 minutes to an hour. all this time enduring the discomfort and sometimes the pain. i know that this is necessary for over all health and especially oral health. i brush my teeth daily.

i take my rescues to the vet. they have rotten teeth, inflamed gums, but they will have to be anesthetized. They won't endure the cleaning. They don't care that the procedure is going to give them better quality of life. Reduce their long-term pain, etc., etc., the older the dog the harder to instill the importance of brushing teeth

allowing a thing, even oneself in suffering and abuse, is not moral. a dog doesn't understand the moral of good health. doesn't even care. all it understands is the fleeting pain and fear of a process that it doesn't appreciate

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You responded to this post of mine:

With this response:

If you weren't advocating that harming creatures of lower intelligence is moral, then what exactly was the "because" in response to? What part of my post were you justifying with that "because"?

Or did you quote me by mistake?
and i keep repeating to your obstinance that nothing was said about killing by myself. you're the one focused on killing

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
and i keep repeating to your obstinance that nothing was said about killing by myself. you're the one focused on killing
I talked about harming creatures, not killing them.

"harm" is not a synonym for "kill"

harm

harm
(countable and uncountable, plural harms)
    1. physical injury; hurt; damage
      No harm came to my possessions.
      You can do a lot of harm to someone if you kick them in the balls. Especially if they get revenge and bring out a bazooka and blast your head off.
    2. emotional or figurative hurt
      Although not physically injured in the car accident, she received some psychological harm
3. detriment; misfortune. I wish him no harm
4. That which causes injury, damage, or loss.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You appear to be conflating morality and intelligence
So why not answer post #10

As for personal comments, nothing more than you have demonstrated on 2 threads
no you're conflating that intelligence and morality are mutually exclusive. they are not. they work together very well.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
no you're conflating that intelligence and morality are mutually exclusive. they are not. they work together very well.

You think?

So why not answer my post #10 and #5 for that matter .

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You actually did several times in this thread. Please do not take me for a fool.
actually no, i take you for a liar.

i did a f3 on the page and i never used harm on any thread except to point out to you, you're lying

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
actually no, i take you for a liar.

i did a f3 on the page and i never used harm on any thread except to point out to you, you're lying
You don't believe inflicting pain is a form of harm, then?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You don't believe inflicting pain is a form of harm, then?
you're doing harm right now. by making claims that aren't provable.

i didn't make any claims about inflicting harm, pain, or killing in this thread. the discussion was about the morals of animals in relations to humans. everything has worth but not everything is moral.

do not confuse actions with forms. actions are greater than forms

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So no point in discussion with you if you ignore all the relevant facts. 'Nuf said
you're a black and white. polarized. i have a limited amount of time. your posts aren't the only one's i ignore. nor are your "facts" the only ones. sometimes i simply quit responding to threads and posts just to let the person have the last world.

nothing personal