• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moral Worth of Animals

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
close but no cigar

a lesser intelligent being can't explain to you why it moral to love your enemies

Nor can you. You can give justification based on your personal belief system, you cannot explain the mortality of it

So.i guess now you are going to **** all over this thread too

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
close but no cigar

a lesser intelligent being can't explain to you why it moral to love your enemies
Most people I've talked to can't, either, if they believe in such highly impractical tenets in the first place.

But I generally find suppositions of "intelligence" a poor argument either for or against moral worth. Why would it be moral to do harm to a creature incapable of language or human reasoning? They are still being harmed, and still feel pain, they are just less capable of articulating the how and why.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Nor can you. You can give justification based on your personal belief system, you cannot explain the mortality of it

So.i guess now you are going to **** all over this thread too
assigning the morals of a human to that of a lower life form is the problem. the actions belie the truth

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What does this have to do with the innate morality and worth of the creature itself?

because you are trying to compare less intelligent life forms/beings to higher intelligent ones. its not the same. inherently a human can meet higher standards. they are not the same

ChristineM

Premium Member
assigning the morals of a human to that of a lower life form is the problem. the actions belie the truth

I have never seen an animal nuke hundreds of thousands of people, i have never seen an animal commit holocaust or genocide.

No one assignes human morality to animals, no need, they have their own morality, often superior to that of some humans

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Most people I've talked to can't, either, if they believe in such highly impractical tenets in the first place.

But I generally find suppositions of "intelligence" a poor argument either for or against moral worth. Why would it be moral to do harm to a creature incapable of language or human reasoning? They are still being harmed, and still feel pain, they are just less capable of articulating the how and why.
because a lower intelligent being can't be creative and loving on the scale of a human.
Can you give a coherent argument why it is moral to harm or kill "lower" or "less intelligent" life forms?

i didn't say anything about killing. you're on another planet of your own making

ChristineM

Premium Member
because you are trying to compare less intelligent life forms/beings to higher intelligent ones. its not the same. inherently a human can meet higher standards. they are not the same

So lets see you live in some of the most inhospitable places on earth, where would your human intelligence be then?

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
because a lower intelligent being can't be creative and loving on the scale of a human.
And therefore it is moral to harm them?

Would you mind sparing a few minutes to walk us through the argumentative process that led you to this conclusion?

i didn't say anything about killing. you're on another planet of your own making
Fair enough. Apologies for making undue assumptions.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So lets see you live in some of the most inhospitable places on earth, where would your human intelligence be then?
still doesn't change the moral equivalency of the human potential over lower intelligent life forms

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
What about an infant? They are not as intelligent as an adult and for all you know they may end up being disabled and less intelligent then most humans...are they by chance less moral?
they would not have the psychological maturity of a fully formed human; so until they become an adult we don't know.

but other life forms having less intelligence, ability to learn abstract ideas, and implement them into real world experience are never going to get to that human ability.

i'm not advocating for the suffering and abuse of animals. i'm stating that other animals are never going to have the moral ability to achieve on that level

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In your opinion which actually tells much about your moral values
personal comments about anyone doesn't override the fact that animals of lower intelligence will never have the same moral apptitude for bettering not only their species but others.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
And therefore it is moral to harm them?

Would you mind sparing a few minutes to walk us through the argumentative process that led you to this conclusion?

Fair enough. Apologies for making undue assumptions.
again i never stated anything about killing. you're misrepresenting what was said

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can a human child explain that? Can most human adults explain that? Are you saying that they have less moral worth because it's over their heads?