• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MOON Landing?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Give me a reason you think people never made it and I will show you why it is wrong.

All such good points that I will bring up tomorrow at work! THANKS ALL!!! (many frubals sent already)

Why do I possibly think that people have not been on the moon?

1. Show me the photo from a high-powered telescope or Hubble that shows our flag on the moon. What would speak more to Patriotism or our winning of the Cold War? I have yet to see one...

2. The arguement of "he already climbed Mt. Everest, so we won't... somebody else has been there, so why would we go" is completely FALSE due to the nature of humans. Why has nobody else attempted it?

3. The last satelite we launched passed the moon in just over 8 hours, not just over 3 DAYS as the Apollo astronauts. So easy to get to now and so much money spent on that probe that crashed into the moon to see if there was water on it a few years back.... why not just send more people up to find out and tell the world that the USA is the most advanced? $$$??? That cost billions!

(just a few reasonable questions to ask)

4. Technology there 40+ years ago... yet we don't go to Mars... WHY?

5. Space shuttle program (far beyond the Apollo capsules) never went despite numerous missions... why? It would have been cheaper and less travel time... (refer back to #3)

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
We just talked about this at work yesterday:
Do you believe we actually went to the moon back in the 1960's?

I've heard both sides, read all the websites, seen all the statistics, and I am honestly 50-50 on it... but I think I lean towards "NO"! Your thoughts?
No offence Comet. I always liked you as a member here. but I think that things like that represent some of the negative things in modern society, when did people became so eager in leaning towards conspiracy theories? and where does it stop?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
No offence Comet. I always liked you as a member here. but I think that things like that represent some of the negative things in modern society, when did people became so eager in leaning towards conspiracy theories? and where does it stop?
when we could no longer trust our goverment... i beleif in all sorts of conspiracies. but this is not one of them

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I don't base my skepticism on a conspiracy therory of photos etc... like those which challenge the history. I base my doubts upon the fact that the government has lied to us before, probably does so now, and most likely will in the future. I think my "doubts" are based upon questions that consider some serious thought and answers.... not in trying to defile things that were shown to us. I'd also point out and ask:

6. If the USA is the only country to go to the moon and WE SAID "nothing of value there so don't bother going"... who would take our word for it? NOBODY! It is not human nature to do so! Again, WHY HAS NOBDOY ELSE GONE THERE? (explains why we haven't been back, but not why others haven't gone) If the technology was there over 40 years ago (and given the EXPONENTIAL rate at which it grows *computers from 1960's to now for example*)..... ??????????? I look foward to answers to my questions/points. THANKS AGAIN!

silvermoon383

1. Show me the photo from a high-powered telescope or Hubble that shows our flag on the moon. What would speak more to Patriotism or our winning of the Cold War? I have yet to see one...
High powered telescopes either don't have the resolution to see something as small as the flag or Luna is too close or bright an object for the telescopes to be able to focus on. HOWEVER, we do have a nice probe that goes around Luna taking pictures. Again, it doesn't have the resolution to see the flag, but it can see the descent stage of the lander, the rover, and even the footpaths the astronauts left.

Apollo 11
Apollo 12
Apollo 14
Apollo 15
Apollo 16
Apollo 17

2. The arguement of "he already climbed Mt. Everest, so we won't... somebody else has been there, so why would we go" is completely FALSE due to the nature of humans. Why has nobody else attempted it?
Because governments (who are the only one capable of funding such a trip) are notoriously tight on the purse strings and refuse to pay for the trip because they see no value in it. How many more times do we have to say it?

3. The last satelite we launched passed the moon in just over 8 hours, not just over 3 DAYS as the Apollo astronauts. So easy to get to now and so much money spent on that probe that crashed into the moon to see if there was water on it a few years back.... why not just send more people up to find out and tell the world that the USA is the most advanced? $$$??? That cost billions!
Actually, the last probes sent to the moon took 3 months, 21 days (22 in the case of GRAIL B) to get there. And sending probes is a lot cheaper. They can handle a lot more acceleration forces and radiation, don't need life support systems, and are a lot smaller than manned craft so they need less fuel to get around. That's why we send them.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't base my skepticism on a conspiracy therory of photos etc... like those which challenge the history. I base my doubts upon the fact that the government has lied to us before, probably does so now, and most likely will in the future. I think my "doubts" are based upon questions that consider some serious thought and answers.... not in trying to defile things that were shown to us.

So you don't even have a solid or rational basis for questioning the historical accuracy of putting men on the moon in the first place. This being the case, there's nothing anyone can tell you that will convince you of anything. You've decided the government lied about this, for some bizarre reason, so you will continue to believe this. You cannot reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger

I agree to an extent, yet I do disagree. Look at the chemical testing the government has done on people without their knowledge, etc... REMEMBER how it is a government OF THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE, AND BY THE PEOPLE! I do believe that, yet I've seen how some abuse their power to keep the sheep as a part of the flock they shepard. It really is sad what things have come to... but that is another discussion. Do read my posts great Caladan! I am 50-50, but the conspiracy people made ME ASK MY OWN QUESTIONS and I have yet to get answers to them... so I am 50-50 on the whole thing....

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
So you don't even have a solid or rational basis for questioning the historical accuracy of putting men on the moon in the first place. This being the case, there's nothing anyone can tell you that will convince you of anything. You've decided the government lied about this, for some bizarre reason, so you will continue to believe this. You cannot reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

AGAIN, I do not believe nor dis-believe this... I ask, I ponder, I wonder.... A valid point though, you make me lean back to "we did".... 50-50

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
AGAIN, I do not believe nor dis-believe this... I ask, I ponder, I wonder.... A valid point though, you make me lean back to "we did".... 50-50

Apologies, I forget that you said you were 50-50 and was basing my response on what seemed to be your view through the thread.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
High powered telescopes either don't have the resolution to see something as small as the flag or Luna is too close or bright an object for the telescopes to be able to focus on. HOWEVER, we do have a nice probe that goes around Luna taking pictures. Again, it doesn't have the resolution to see the flag, but it can see the descent stage of the lander, the rover, and even the footpaths the astronauts left.

Apollo 11
Apollo 12
Apollo 14
Apollo 15
Apollo 16
Apollo 17

Because governments (who are the only one capable of funding such a trip) are notoriously tight on the purse strings and refuse to pay for the trip because they see no value in it. How many more times do we have to say it?

Actually, the last probes sent to the moon took 3 months, 21 days (22 in the case of GRAIL B) to get there. And sending probes is a lot cheaper. They can handle a lot more acceleration forces and radiation, don't need life support systems, and are a lot smaller than manned craft so they need less fuel to get around. That's why we send them.

I love how you call HER Luna! I will read your attachements: YET!!!!!!

The telescopes can see FOOT PRINTS but not a FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They see small dusty imprints, but not a LARGE COLOR FLAG!?!?!?!? I so have to read and see what you posted, but that is just an "oxy-moron"

silvermoon383

4. Technology there 40+ years ago... yet we don't go to Mars... WHY?
Going to Mars is a much more complicated problem. You need to factor in the longer flight time (Lunar missions are around 1-2 weeks. A Mars trip needs at least 6 months minimum, almost always more.) You have to have much more radiation shielding (with a 2 week trip you can gamble that you won't have to deal with a solar flare or other solar burp that tosses a lot more rads into space), a lot more supplies, a lot more fuel, a lot more of EVERYTHING. That drives the cost up enough to make a Lunar trip seem like pocket change.

5. Space shuttle program (far beyond the Apollo capsules) never went despite numerous missions... why? It would have been cheaper and less travel time... (refer back to #3)
Because the shuttles were not designed to go to Luna, nor were they capable of going without major redesigns. They were designed to go from the surface of Earth to Low Earth Orbit, period. They did not have the fuel, the shielding, or the supply capabilities to go to Luna and back.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Apologies, I forget that you said you were 50-50 and was basing my response on what seemed to be your view through the thread.

NO worries my old friend... we all try to argue a point of view for the sake of discussion or hearing more view points! :) No worries at all! :p

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I agree to an extent, yet I do disagree. Look at the chemical testing the government has done on people without their knowledge, etc... REMEMBER how it is a government OF THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE, AND BY THE PEOPLE! I do believe that, yet I've seen how some abuse their power to keep the sheep as a part of the flock they shepard. It really is sad what things have come to... but that is another discussion. Do read my posts great Caladan! I am 50-50, but the conspiracy people made ME ASK MY OWN QUESTIONS and I have yet to get answers to them... so I am 50-50 on the whole thing....
Maybe you can get something good out of this questioning at the end. you can try to find answers in the space age competition between the USA and the USSR, it could influence your conclusion, and I'm sure you'll find it informative.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger

Apollo 11
Apollo 12
Apollo 14
Apollo 15
Apollo 16
Apollo 17

Governments aren't the only who can fund it... maybe just approve it! A Billionaire guy bought land in New Mexico and is building his own space-port! I'll have to find it online for you!

silvermoon383

6. If the USA is the only country to go to the moon and WE SAID "nothing of value there so don't bother going"... who would take our word for it? NOBODY! It is not human nature to do so! Again, WHY HAS NOBDOY ELSE GONE THERE? (explains why we haven't been back, but not why others haven't gone) If the technology was there over 40 years ago (and given the EXPONENTIAL rate at which it grows *computers from 1960's to now for example*)..... ??????????? I look foward to answers to my questions/points. THANKS AGAIN!
The US never said there was nothing of value on Luna. We actually said quite the opposite. Too bad the Nixon administration fought the moon program from the start (NASA had to fight tooth and nail to keep Apollo 12-17, and there was supposed to be an 18 19 and 20, rockets, capsules, and landers bought, paid for, and built, but the government cut the operational funding.)

silvermoon383

I love how you call HER Luna! I will read your attachements: YET!!!!!!

The telescopes can see FOOT PRINTS but not a FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They see small dusty imprints, but not a LARGE COLOR FLAG!?!?!?!? I so have to read and see what you posted, but that is just an "oxy-moron"

Not footPRINTS, footTRACKS. Think of walking trails (not the paved kind) here on Earth. It's the same deal, prints are too small, but you can certainly see where people and animals roam.

And I call the Moon Luna because technically it's its proper name.

silvermoon383

Governments aren't the only who can fund it... maybe just approve it! A Billionaire guy bought land in New Mexico and is building his own space-port! I'll have to find it online for you!
People having that much money is a relatively recent event. And just because they're worth millions or billions doesn't mean they have it to spend. A lot of it would be tied up in stocks, bonds, real estate, etc, etc. Very little of a person's wealth is liquid (immediately spendable).

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
The US never said there was nothing of value on Luna. We actually said quite the opposite. Too bad the Nixon administration fought the moon program from the start (NASA had to fight tooth and nail to keep Apollo 12-17, and there was supposed to be an 18 19 and 20, rockets, capsules, and landers bought, paid for, and built, but the government cut the operational funding.)

So why have none other gone to claim the "value" there for themselves?

ALSO: (as the conspiracy crowd would say): Those photos you showed me are faked!!!!!!!!!! :yes: :eek: :p

Shermana

Heretic
Well, we actually landed men on the moon 6 times, so we did go back - 5 times. As to why we haven't gone back, it is a very expensive proposition, and there has been no solid economic reason for funding such a mission. The Soviet Union had a moon program, but never succeeded, and China has been talking more in recent years of sending men to the moon. The fact of the matter is that it is not an easy or cheap feat to accomplish, and there isn't a forseeable payout at this point in time.

How does one explain the utter lack of stars in any of the photos? Why did David Groves (who was involved with the official NASA photos) say it was a hoax?