• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MOON Landing?

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
We just talked about this at work yesterday:
Do you believe we actually went to the moon back in the 1960's?

I've heard both sides, read all the websites, seen all the statistics, and I am honestly 50-50 on it... but I think I lean towards "NO"! Your thoughts?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
yes they went to the moon. if you nee furthure evidence i suggest you see the myth busters tests.

Iti oj

Premium Member
So I'll ask this then: If we went to the moon, why has no other been back?
no need to. we did it. what more is their todo. the cost of landing on the moon and returning is greater then the need to return and anything we would learn from it.... money

silvermoon383

Money. The US Gov't refused to pay for more missions, and still refuse to this day (despite telling NASA that they need to build new lunar landers and moonshot-capable ships.) The USSR didn't have the tech or the money back then, and Russia certainly doesn't. Right now it looks like China is the only one with the money and will to go. All they need is the tech.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So I'll ask this then: If we went to the moon, why has no other been back?

Well, we actually landed men on the moon 6 times, so we did go back - 5 times. As to why we haven't gone back, it is a very expensive proposition, and there has been no solid economic reason for funding such a mission. The Soviet Union had a moon program, but never succeeded, and China has been talking more in recent years of sending men to the moon. The fact of the matter is that it is not an easy or cheap feat to accomplish, and there isn't a forseeable payout at this point in time.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Well, we actually landed men on the moon 6 times, so we did go back - 5 times. As to why we haven't gone back, it is a very expensive proposition, and there has been no solid economic reason for funding such a mission. The Soviet Union had a moon program, but never succeeded, and China has been talking more in recent years of sending men to the moon. The fact of the matter is that it is not an easy or cheap feat to accomplish, and there isn't a forseeable payout at this point in time.

USSR beat us into space, beat us with Sputnik, etc... space station anybody? Yet, they never made it, nor the attempt to. Many other have joined the "new space race", but none have been there since the USA did (supposedly). The technology was there in the 1960's? I doubt it, but still am not convinced that we didn't.....

The question is WHY has nobody been there since? 40+ years of technology, USA cuts to NASA etc... None? Really? Why?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
USSR beat us into space, beat us with Sputnik, etc... space station anybody? Yet, they never made it, nor the attempt to. Many other have joined the "new space race", but none have been there since the USA did (supposedly). The technology was there in the 1960's? I doubt it, but still am not convinced that we didn't.....

The question is WHY has nobody been there since? 40+ years of technology, USA cuts to NASA etc... None? Really? Why?

Are you hard of reading?

Okay, let's put it this way: Why would somebody go to the moon?

silvermoon383

The USSR was attempting to go. They had a lander built and a whole plan for the cosmonauts who were selected to go. The problem was that the rocket they had built to get their spacecraft to Luna (the N1) didn't work. That left the Soviet Union with no way to get to the moon.

Iti oj

Premium Member
We went to the moon do to the cold war. we needed to be better then soviets.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
For the same reason we did... why did we go? Bragging rights I suppose....?

So it makes sense to you that, in today's world, a nation would spend years of time, millions and millions of man hours of research and development, and billions upon billions of dollars for hypothetical bragging rights of being the second nation to reach the moon half a century after the U.S. did it? Really?