• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Money and Happiness

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
A lot of things have got me thinking about money, happiness, and the connection between them.

I am poor, as many college students often are. I do my best to save money and support myself. I take the maximum possible credits at the local community college in association with my university, I work at a lab in my field of study for the maximum number of hours I can, I've gotten a few scholarships, and I do side hustles as much as possible. But unfortunately I live in an expensive area and I'm paying the price for it.

What really got me thinking about money was what happened to me in July. I live in an old home with six other people. The rent may take half my paycheck during the school year, but it's still the cheapest I saw available in my months long housing search. Nearly $400 cheaper than the standard in the area. And I get what I pay for. There's one bathroom and no AC.

Normally, where I live, having no AC wouldn't be so bad, but because of the heatwave in recent years, I almost died in my sleep. My room had been frequently hitting over 93°F/34°C inside, even with my best efforts to close the windows, blinds, and use tin foil to reflect away the lightduring the day, and opening them at night. I have no idea how or why, but my house turns into an actual oven. One night I fell asleep faster than usual (I had been getting 2-4 hours of sleep a night due to the heat) and I woke up hours later to my housemate pounding on my door telling me to turn off my alarm, which had been going off for a long time. Little did I know that that housemate likely saved my life. Upon waking, I immediately started throwing up and feeling too weak to move. I called a friend who brought me to the ER.

It was heat stroke. I was so badly dehydrated from my ceiling fan and a combination of my medications I take that heat stroke got me while I tried to sleep.

Lots of IVs and blood/urine tests later and I discover that I have some muscle and organ damage thanks to the heat stroke. I hadn't even known that was a thing.

My housemates and I were encouraged to leave our house and find emergency housing until the heat wave passed, which we did.

I'm still being effected by the heat stroke and likely will be for a few more months.

I've also dealt with extensive issues concerning my studies and such due to the fact that I have so many housemates. Loud ones at that. It's hard to study and keep up your grades when you have belligerent drunk housemates that spend the whole night yelling with their guests and throwing up everywhere. I rarely get more than 5 hours of sleep a night, if that, even with earplugs.

All these things make it hard for me to not consider where I'd be right now if I had more money. If I wasn't poor. If my parents or family supported me at all,like so many of my friends are supported. I'd be able to afford my own apartment, or at least an apartment with two or three people instead of six. I'd be able to afford a place with air conditioning, so my life is not at risk in my own home. I'd be able to focus on my studies, and get my money's worth out of the expensive classes I'm taking that will help determine my future. I'd be able to give gifts to the people I love in life. I'd be able to help the people in my life who need support, too.

So what is the relationship between money and happiness?

We've all heard the phrase "money can't buy happiness", and in a way this is obviously untrue. Money can certainly buy things that contribute to one's happiness. But at the same time, I do think it holds some truth as well.

How I see it; money cannot buy happiness for someone who's incapable of being happy without it. But money helps enhance one's quality of life, and promotes happiness for those who know how to find it.

I still find happiness, even in my busy, crazy, poor life. I find it in the littlest things. I'm very easy to please, I suppose. A good sunset or book from the library makes for a good distraction from my aching and damaged body. Am I happy in general, though? I'm not really sure. I think I am.

I know I would be happier if I had more $$$ though :p

I'm just rambling I suppose. I'd love to hear your guys' experiences with money and happiness!

Heyo

Veteran Member
A lot of things have got me thinking about money, happiness, and the connection between them.

I am poor, as many college students often are. I do my best to save money and support myself. I take the maximum possible credits at the local community college in association with my university, I work at a lab in my field of study for the maximum number of hours I can, I've gotten a few scholarships, and I do side hustles as much as possible. But unfortunately I live in an expensive area and I'm paying the price for it.

What really got me thinking about money was what happened to me in July. I live in an old home with six other people. The rent may take half my paycheck during the school year, but it's still the cheapest I saw available in my months long housing search. Nearly $400 cheaper than the standard in the area. And I get what I pay for. There's one bathroom and no AC.

Normally, where I live, having no AC wouldn't be so bad, but because of the heatwave in recent years, I almost died in my sleep. My room had been frequently hitting over 93°F/34°C inside, even with my best efforts to close the windows, blinds, and use tin foil to reflect away the lightduring the day, and opening them at night. I have no idea how or why, but my house turns into an actual oven. One night I fell asleep faster than usual (I had been getting 2-4 hours of sleep a night due to the heat) and I woke up hours later to my housemate pounding on my door telling me to turn off my alarm, which had been going off for a long time. Little did I know that that housemate likely saved my life. Upon waking, I immediately started throwing up and feeling too weak to move. I called a friend who brought me to the ER.

It was heat stroke. I was so badly dehydrated from my ceiling fan and a combination of my medications I take that heat stroke got me while I tried to sleep.

Lots of IVs and blood/urine tests later and I discover that I have some muscle and organ damage thanks to the heat stroke. I hadn't even known that was a thing.

My housemates and I were encouraged to leave our house and find emergency housing until the heat wave passed, which we did.

I'm still being effected by the heat stroke and likely will be for a few more months.

I've also dealt with extensive issues concerning my studies and such due to the fact that I have so many housemates. Loud ones at that. It's hard to study and keep up your grades when you have belligerent drunk housemates that spend the whole night yelling with their guests and throwing up everywhere. I rarely get more than 5 hours of sleep a night, if that, even with earplugs.

All these things make it hard for me to not consider where I'd be right now if I had more money. If I wasn't poor. If my parents or family supported me at all,like so many of my friends are supported. I'd be able to afford my own apartment, or at least an apartment with two or three people instead of six. I'd be able to afford a place with air conditioning, so my life is not at risk in my own home. I'd be able to focus on my studies, and get my money's worth out of the expensive classes I'm taking that will help determine my future. I'd be able to give gifts to the people I love in life. I'd be able to help the people in my life who need support, too.

We've all heard the phrase "money can't buy happiness", and in a way this is obviously untrue. Money can certainly buy things that contribute to one's happiness. But at the same time, I do think it holds some truth as well.

How I see it; money cannot buy happiness for someone who's incapable of being happy without it. But money helps enhance one's quality of life, and promotes happiness for those who know how to find it.

I still find happiness, even in my busy, crazy, poor life. I find it in the littlest things. I'm very easy to please, I suppose. A good sunset or book from the library makes for a good distraction from my aching and damaged body. Am I happy in general, though? I'm not really sure. I think I am.

I'm just rambling I suppose. I'd love to hear your guys' experiences with money and happiness!
"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western spiral arm of the galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this, at a distance of roughly ninety million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet, whose ape descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea. This planet has, or had, a problem, which was this. Most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small, green pieces of paper, which is odd, because on the whole, it wasn't the small, green pieces of paper which were unhappy. And so the problem remained, and lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches." - Douglas Adams

PureX

Veteran Member

Sometimes we have to delay happiness until we're in a position to experience it. Hopefully that doesn't take so long that we forget how.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If you think money buys happiness, look at those who came to sudden fame and riches that are no longer with us.

Then again, money buys jet skis. Try to frown on a jet ski.

Seriously though, money can buy fleeting happiness. Think of the last thing you bought. That new iPhone, car, whatever. How long did that happiness last until that just became another thing in your life until you got rid of it.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Happiness isn't the goal, anyway, I don't think. Peace, serenity, purposefulness, love, health, creativity, all of these would place higher on the list, for me, than being 'happy'.

HonestJoe

I think your situation reflects an important but oft overlooked distinction.

"Money can't buy you happiness" only applies if you already have you basic needs met without any difficulty. People who do don't think about it and people who don't disagree with the phrase for that reason. The point of the phrase is that the cost of luxuries, entertainment and the like isn't the key factor in their quality. For some people, a week camping in the woods would be a better holiday than two weeks laying on a Caribbean beach.

I hope your health and living situation both improve soon (you can have that for free :D ).

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
Seriously though, money can by fleeting happiness. Think of the last thing you bought. That new iPhone, car, whatever. How long did that happiness last until that just became another thing in your life until you got rid of it.

I don't have enough money for a new iPhone or car, but I tend to really appreciate the things I do buy. Every time I buy a new piece of clothing even, even though I only shop used, it's still a huge thrill that lasts a long time. I still smile wearing it the hundredth time. I think thats part of the condition of being as poor as I am. Everything is special when I can afford something.

That is a feeling I'd miss if I had enough money to buy new clothes every season or a new phone every time Apple made a new one o_O

I think studies have shown and your experience indicates that at some point the lack of sufficient money impacts happiness. At some point,however, money stops being meaningful at least it was true for me.

The research is mixed as this article discusses It turns out money may buy some happiness - CNN

I think your situation reflects an important but oft overlooked distinction.

"Money can't buy you happiness" only applies if you already have you basic needs met without any difficulty. People who do don't think about it and people who don't disagree with the phrase for that reason. The point of the phrase is that the cost of luxuries, entertainment and the like isn't the key factor in their quality. For some people, a week camping in the woods would be a better holiday than two weeks laying on a Caribbean beach.

I hope your health and living situation both improve soon (you can have that for free :D ).

I definitely agree with this. A person's base needs usually need to be met before they can experience happiness consistently.

How Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Explains Human Motivation

I find happiness often, in all sorts of things, but I do wish I felt safe in my home, and not at risk of organ failure and death while I sleep. Maybe thats too big of a demand, but I hardly think it compares to buying a digital watch, or a new iPhone, or whatever may be. I do not think digital watches or new iPhones are necessary to be happy, and those who need those things to feel joy should probably visit a therapist!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hoping your health improves and you earn the qualifications you need. They will be well earned. You show determination for sure.

And remember to keep hydrated.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't have enough money for a new iPhone or car, but I tend to really appreciate the things I do buy. Every time I buy a new piece of clothing even, even though I only shop used, it's still a huge thrill that lasts a long time. I still smile wearing it the hundredth time. I think thats part of the condition of being as poor as I am. Everything is special when I can afford something.

That is a feeling I'd miss if I had enough money to buy new clothes every season or a new phone every time Apple made a new one o_O

So is that "special" condition permanent?

I understand to hear your circumstances lead to a lasting appreciation. But is that appreciation (regardless of longevity) permanent or temporary?

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
So is that "special" condition permanent?

I understand to hear your circumstances lead to a lasting appreciation. But is that appreciation (regardless of longevity) permanent or temporary?

Temporary, yes. But many things in life are temporary. The effect isn't negligible even if it is temporary. :oops:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have had differing degrees of poorness during my life as an adult.

Growing up, my family was firmly middle class. Mom could(and did) afford all kinds of pretty stuff for me, and all kinds of specialty items(she didn't want to cook for the only vegetarian in the house). She would provide trips and special activities for my friends, if they wanted(they were all from poor families).

No one visited. We'd all hang out at my poor friends' houses, even if it meant we'd eat french fries and canned corn for dinner. Why? Because their houses were filled with love. My family, despite being comfortable, were not really blessed with happiness. There was a lot of quarreling, and other general bad attitudes. The cable TV, internet(back when poor folks didn't generally have internet access and smartphones didn't exist) and delivery pizza wasn't worth sitting in that atmosphere.

Perhaps that's why I had absolutely no drive to search out wealth as an adult. I understood the common sense of having enough to eat with, and pay my bills, but I had no desire to accumulate junk, or have fancy ****. When it came down to picking up extra hours or choosing to cut costs, I cut costs every time.

My financial situation has changed through the years. There have been times we didn't have enough. That's stressful. Its hard to be happy if you don't know where your next meal is coming from. However, there have been times we've had more than enough. And that's stressful, too.

You might think I'm nuts for saying so, but when a person starts getting more than they need, they start buying more than they need. They build attachments to this extra crap. And when you're attached(especially to junk'n'stuff), you're always stressing about it. At least that's how it seems to work in my house. We've fallen on some financial difficulties recently, and I keep telling my husband(who agrees) we were happier when we were poorer(I think we're on the high earning end of lower class now). He can't help but agree.

We didn't stress over having this or obtaining that, because there was no way in hell we could afford a vacation, or a fancy piece for a car, or some online program. Just wasn't going to happen, so why dwell on it? Now that these things seem more affordable(or they did until recently), there's no sense to let it eat up one's mind.

Just enough is the way to go, at least in my world. Others, of course, will differ.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
money, happiness, and the connection between them.

Sorry about you troubles. And it sounds like you are responsible with what little money you have. Young people are usually poor if they don't have access to somebody else's money.

Money buys one a chance at happiness. It prevents the unhappiness you experienced due to privation of essentials for health and comfort, and it gives one the means to find happiness, although, unfortunately, not the wisdom. With enough money, one can have leisure time, travel, relocate to better climes, retire earlier, and the like, although many people are happy without these, and some are unhappy even with them. That's why I say it buys a chance to find happiness, but one still needs to know or learn where to find it.

Audie

Veteran Member

As a " trust fund kid" my uni days in NYC
were well funded and comfortable.

So that part was not unhappy.