• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F1fan

Veteran Member
Find a Bible. Christ rose from he dad and was seen my a great many,
And why should we interpret these stories literally when they were crafted and written at a time when embellishment was common? And how many other myths are similar to the Christ myth? Quite a few from different cultures. It's arguable that the Christ myth was borrowed from other traditions.

QuestioningMind

Sheldon: "I don't believe in miracles"

Thesis: Miracles Exist. Proof:
If miracle is impossible, then it is impossible miracle. But latter is definition of a miracle.

ItSo: "That's a tautology".

No. I disagree. No tautology.

ItSo: "Therefore it IS a tautology."

No. Please explain. No tautology.
If miracle is impossible, then it is impossible miracle. No logical error.

ItSo: "If miracles are impossible, they don't happen."

Do not modify text of my proof. It is corrupting it. If I would add a^3 to the Pythagorean theorem a^2+b^2=c^2, it will corrupt it.

F1fan: "How would you test whether miracles happen?"

Physics does not know what is Effect Placebo and what is UFO.

If miracle is impossible, then it is impossible miracle. But latter is definition of a miracle.

If the definition of a miracle is 'the impossible' and we state the the impossible is impossible then you've concluded that miracles do not exist.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
And why should we interpret these stories literally when they were crafted and written at a time when embellishment was common? And how many other myths are similar to the Christ myth? Quite a few from different cultures. It's arguable that the Christ myth was borrowed from other traditions.

Which Bible should you read? Should you read the Catholic Bible, with a 73-book canon, or the Greek Orthodox Bible, with a 79-book canon, or the Protestant Bible, with a 66-book canon? If you choose a Protestant Bible, then you will have to decide which version is more accurate. Is it the King James Version or one of the many other English versions of the Bible? Or should you read the Bible in its original languages of Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic to ensure its authenticity? If I were you, I wouldn't bother asking more than one Christian which version of the Bible to read since not only are Christians unable to determine which version of the Bible is actually the most accurate one, but they are also unable to agree about what the Bible actually teaches. Christianity is a fragmented religion.

And it's true that there are myths from various civilizations that resemble the Christ myth. I've discussed a few of these in-depth in previous postings, which I'll repost in this thread for you to read. As a former Christian, I believe that the biblical accounts of Jesus were adapted from paganism, including Greek mythology, which predates both the Bible and Christianity. As I've indicated in other threads, Attis is a Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation whose stories are similar to those of Jesus' crucifixion, death, and resurrection (1250 BCE). According to the myths about Attis, he was divinely born of a virgin; he was hung on a tree and died; he descended into the underworld after his death; he was resurrected after three days; and he brought salvation with him in his rebirth.There are more similarities with Jesus' stories in this article: "Attis: Born of a Virgin on December 25th, Crucified and Resurrected after Three Days."

There are other parallels between the stories of Jesus and other Christ-like figures from paganism that precede both the Bible and Christianity, in addition to the stories that Attis and Jesus share. These articles, "10 Christ-Like Figures that Predate Jesus" and "Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ," provide numerous examples of older pagan Christlike figures whose lives parallel Jesus's, including being born of a virgin, experiencing the devil's temptation before beginning a ministry, healing the sick miraculously, dying to redeem humanity, and rising from the dead after three days. The truth is that the stories of Jesus aren't unique.

Suffice it to say, I think it's plausible to assume that paganism had a significant impact on Christianity and that this influence can be seen in the Bible, the stories about Jesus, and in Christian rituals. There are a plethora of examples of how Christianity parallels pagan religions that predate it in this article: Parallels between Christianity and Ancient Pagan Religions. And this article has more examples: The Bible is Fiction: A Collection of Evidence. Paganism had a significant impact on Christmas (see here) as well as Easter (see here).

I don't think we should give the savior story of Jesus any more credence than the other Christlike stories that I mentioned. Despite the claims made by Christians that the Bible is divinely inspired by God and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world, I believe these other stories clearly prove that Christian beliefs aren't very distinctive and Christianity isn't as unique as Christians claim it is.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This may come as a surprise, but "scientific" journals are not going to publish that which offends is paying base. Also they were not around 200 years back.
Sure, at one time they were not there. Publishing started late. If a scientific journal disregards evidence, then it is not a scientific journal. Although what one may consider as firm evidence Torah, Bible, Quran or Bhagawat Purana xx.xx, may not be considered valid evidence by them.

Tiberius

And how about the time that a giant mutated lizard ran rampage through New York City? It was documented too! And a mutant with super powers ripped the Golden Gate Bridge out of the water to move his troops to Alcatraz in order to fight other mutants, that was documented. And giant flying saucers appearing over the major cities of the world in order to destroy the Human race, that was also documented!

F1fan

Veteran Member
And how about the time that a giant mutated lizard ran rampage through New York City? It was documented too! And a mutant with super powers ripped the Golden Gate Bridge out of the water to move his troops to Alcatraz in order to fight other mutants, that was documented. And giant flying saucers appearing over the major cities of the world in order to destroy the Human race, that was also documented!
Yeah, and another time when New York was devastated by an alien, a baby alien at that. There was a documentary that was released by the military, Cloverfield. How did they rebuild New York so fast? That thing ripped the head off of the Statue of Liberty. They fixed it.

Tiberius

Yeah, and another time when New York was devastated by an alien, a baby alien at that. There was a documentary that was released by the military, Cloverfield. How did they rebuild New York so fast? That thing ripped the head off of the Statue of Liberty. They fixed it.

I know. I suspect it was an inside job. And there's definitely a conspiracy. Even now, if you go to New York and speak to people who lived there all their lives, they'll say they never saw it.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Medical science knows how to go about enquiring into placebo effects, to establish their reality and to see which explanations are likely and how they can be tested.

You don't even have a definition of a real God such that if we found a real suspect we could determine whether it was God or not.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Sheldon: "I don't believe in miracles"

Thesis: Miracles Exist. Proof:

ItSo: "That's a tautology".

No. I disagree. No tautology.

ItSo: "Therefore it IS a tautology."

No. Please explain. No tautology.
If miracle is impossible, then it is impossible miracle. No logical error.

ItSo: "If miracles are impossible, they don't happen."

Do not modify text of my proof. It is corrupting it. If I would add a^3 to the Pythagorean theorem a^2+b^2=c^2, it will corrupt it.

F1fan: "How would you test whether miracles happen?"

Such a chaotic mess of a post.

Truth in love

People argue all the time. However the event was witnessed and documented. People may opt to not believe, but we do have records of the events.

Truth in love

Sure, at one time they were not there. Publishing started late. If a scientific journal disregards evidence, then it is not a scientific journal. Although what one may consider as firm evidence Torah, Bible, Quran or Bhagawat Purana xx.xx, may not be considered valid evidence by them.

Well they tend to be very subjective in what is published and often has more to do with political point than research methods.

Truth in love

Ah yes the decent into mockery rather that addressing the issue.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

That's a claim, not evidence, there are no eyewitnesses, there was not one word written about what Jesus purportedly did by any contemporary. If indeed he existed at all, as this is far from certain.