• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Method of Voting

Warren Clark

Informer
Many people wont vote because they have no hope for the given candidates.
I sadly have little hope as well.

The problem is that there is a given notion that the president we choose should be one that represents everything we believe.
Problem is, too many candidates are afraid to speak their mind of what they really want for the country i fear of it being to radical and not being allowed on the ballot.
Funny thing is, isn't it up to the people?

Well, since times have changed, I think I have found a way to get people to vote.
People love rebelling. Even the conservatives. (Thats why we always catch them with their pants down.)

So here it is.

Instead of voting for a president.
Vote against a candidate. look at the ones you hate the most.
Then choose the one you hate the least.
Your least favorite candidate will now be on the verge of losing the race. HURRAY!

blackout

Violet.
I take voting very seriously.
I do not cast my will upon the universe flippantly.

I only vote for what it is I ACTUALLY want.

As well I never vote against mySelf.

Oh, also I don't vote for people whose word I cannot trust.
Why would I do that? :shrug:

If we voted against candidates as you suggest,
I would simply go in and pull every single lever.

In the end,
No difference.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
We should have the option of voting "none of the above", and if "none of the above" leads the popular vote, then the election has to be reheld with different candidates.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Here is an idea I toss at every opportunity.
I never hear a rebuttal of 'nay'.

Stop voting for politicians.

Rewrite our laws and vote for CEO's.

Don't like the way the oil company is operated?, water company?, the local bank?, law enforcement?...etc...etc...etc...

Vote them out.

You're more likely to get a life ...'of the people, for the people, by the people.'

Splarnst

I prefer Condorcet for single positions.
I prefer single transferable vote for multi-member bodies.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I consider voting really important.

Most people don't seem to pay attention to issues. Many latch onto a handful of ideologies and aren't aware of what's going on. People don't write their elected leaders, and some don't know who their elected leaders are.

Corporate voting is another issue. Some people avoid investing, while others invest but hand over all of their voting rights.

So people end up putting everything on auto pilot, both government and business.

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
You have to take a test to get a drivers license. Shouldn't there be a requirement to pass a test in order to vote:rolleyes:

blackout

Violet.
Maybe there should be some kind of a test to get on the ballot.

I'm far more concerned about the ones running
than the ones voting.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You have to take a test to get a drivers license. Shouldn't there be a requirement to pass a test in order to vote:rolleyes:
I agree.
But then I also say you should have to pass a test to be on the ballot.
And you should have to pass a test to be a parent.
Not to mention requiring tests for all political offices not only on the federal level but also on the state and county levels.

I even say that the tests to get a drivers license needs to be rethought so that it is possible to fail the damn thing.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
How do you propose enforcing this? Forced abortions? Forced sterilizations? Forced removal of children from parents? All of the above?
Kidnapping and re-dispersal.

We could also put an ad in the paper for out of work snipers....

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Is there a test, as a would be candidate begins to run for office?

Having listened to a few speeches, I wonder the if politics is no more than a word game.

Say the right thing, to the right crowd....win the office....stay in office.

Perhaps we should require manifestos from any would be candidate...
and then hold them to it, after they take office.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As the USA is in effect a two party state, Tactical voting will have no effect.
In countries like Germany and France, with a sophisticated electorate, and many parties it can win or lose elections.
The USA is stuck with a money driven rather than an Issue driven result.

That was found to be unconstitutional.

I take voting as seriously as a heart attack.

Goodman, Chaney & Schwoener DIED for the right to vote.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
So here it is.

Instead of voting for a president.
Vote against a candidate. look at the ones you hate the most.
Then choose the one you hate the least.
Your least favorite candidate will now be on the verge of losing the race. HURRAY!

If all the people who don't vote, voted for an independent canidate. The independent canidate would win hands down forcing both parties to change and try and win back the electorate.

However people are just to lazy. The canidates don't matter you have the ability to write a name or vote independent if either got even 15% of the vote there would be change.

Crystallas

I take voting seriously as well. However, if you want to get people to believe in voting again, we would have to eliminate the power of lobby. Once the lobbyists can no longer pay their candidates way, we no longer debate foolishness, because that is what our tabloid journalists love to air on the major networks, but we can debate ideas and roles.

We would also need a smaller federal government, so more of us would have the incentive to stay focused on local elections. This one size fits all nonsense really undermines the power of each community, and all it does is aid to the growing corruption in places like Washington DC.