• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Members with Unpopular Views

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, all,

Recently, while I was browsing some threads where some members expressed views that are generally unpopular on RF (e.g., supporting Donald Trump and rejecting evolution), I noticed that sometimes they were significantly outnumbered by members who expressed objection in very strong terms. While this is a debate forum and that is par for the course on a forum of this kind, sometimes I found myself saying, "Man, it must suck to be on the receiving end of this." I looked at it this way: an RFer with unpopular views starts a thread here to share their thoughts just like any other RFer, waits for discussion to start, and then finds himself or herself under a pile of comments that can sometimes be rather harsh.

I'm not saying that things should or shouldn't be different; I'm just explaining why I sympathize with members who get overwhelmed and significantly outnumbered by others who make harsh comments toward them, no matter which side of any given debate they are on. So, to provide a window for members with less popular beliefs here to voice their concerns if they have any, I'm making this announcement that the Site Feedback forum and my PM inbox are open to members who want to share their concerns respectfully. I will try to address those concerns in Site Feedback and/or my PM inbox as much as my time allows me to.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to start a thread in the Site Feedback forum or PM me.

Thank you,

Debater Slayer

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
But my line of thought is the correct one! Sheesh, if only they would get on my level.

See? I understand the point of this thread already. :D

But seriously, this is a good idea and I support it!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I suppose a minority view always comes in for stick in any walk of life.
We know when we are expressing such a view, and I expect flack when I propose such things.

however this Forum seems to be remarkably forgiving.....

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Hi, all,

Recently, while I was browsing some threads where some members expressed views that are generally unpopular on RF (e.g., supporting Donald Trump and rejecting evolution), I noticed that sometimes they were significantly outnumbered by members who expressed objection in very strong terms. While this is a debate forum and that is par for the course on a forum of this kind, sometimes I found myself saying, "Man, it must suck to be on the receiving end of this." I looked at it this way: an RFer with unpopular views starts a thread here to share their thoughts just like any other RFer, waits for discussion to start, and then finds himself or herself under a pile of comments that can sometimes be rather harsh.

I'm not saying that things should or shouldn't be different; I'm just explaining why I sympathize with members who get overwhelmed and significantly outnumbered by others who make harsh comments toward them, no matter which side of any given debate they are on. So, to provide a window for members with less popular beliefs here to voice their concerns if they have any, I'm making this announcement that the Site Feedback forum and my PM inbox are open to members who want to share their concerns respectfully. I will try to address those concerns in Site Feedback and/or my PM inbox as much as my time allows me to.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to start a thread in the Site Feedback forum or PM me.

Thank you,

Debater Slayer

I'm glad this never happens to me...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We don't want to insult them, so we attack them.

If someone proposes an idea for debate, I assume s/he's interested in it's veracity, and so would welcome critical feedback.
It's insulting to an intelligent person when s/he proposes an idea and it's not criticized. It's saying I'm not interested in helping you look for flaws in your hypothesis It's like saying the idea is so trivial it's not worth exploring.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

If someone proposes an idea I assume s/he's interested in it's veracity, and so would welcome critical feedback.
It's insulting to an intelligent person when s/he proposes an idea and it's not criticized. It's saying I'm not interested in helping you look for flaws in your hypothesis It's like saying the idea is so trivial it's not worth exploring.
Right on!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

If someone proposes an idea for debate, I assume s/he's interested in it's veracity, and so would welcome critical feedback.

Of course, it's also insulting when the criticisms are dishonest. That too is like saying I'm not interested in helping you look for flaws in your hypothesis.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
@Debater Slayer

All you have to do is read the last five or ten threads I've been posting on to get a handle of this.

1) I want Trump to win, because I want the American people to see how bad this system really is AND we have to have a scapegoat for a revolution. Some President that is a do nothing or a tow-the-line type will never provoke change. In many cases, the liberal media is nuts with the characterizations of Trump regardless. No one can be as bad as they try to paint him as. I was told I would be wasting my vote, and passively-aggressively told I was stupid.

2) I posted a comment about ghosts based on some IRL experiences... That turned into a turd slinging fest quick. It went from my intent (which was just to share a story) into a full point offensive vs me. I was told everything from I was psychotic. mistaken, that human experience isn't qualified evidence, etc. Really, it just got completely stupid. If anything, the only thing I learned is how low the IQ of the people I was speaking with could be. Mine is 138-140, on most tests in case you're wondering. If you think you have me intellectually outgunned in most cases because I am merely a theist or something, think again. There are plenty of religious folks with high IQ.

3) Pointed out some LHP members are dogmatic in function based on an analysis. Again, WW3. Dissenting opinion apparently not allowed. This turned into a conversation with 3 of the 5 people involved attempting to divert the conversation, or in some way ignore the concept or discredit me. I can't imagine I was kindly thought of at this juncture. :)

Anyway, these are just examples. I am sure this stuff is going on all over the forum as the pattern is apparent. If dissenting opinions aren't allowed why even log in? If every single person has to sychophantically pay homage to popular opinions then what is being gained in knowledge? We can just sit on facebook all day and consume the crap stream. This is generally where I find myself thinking as of late. Why bother posting?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Of course, it's also insulting when the criticisms are dishonest. That too is like saying I'm not interested in helping you look for flaws in your hypothesis.

It's not even that the criticisms are dishonest they are just disguised attacks. They're not expanding the thought of the idea, but rather they are a wall of swords. Basically, there is nothing for the poster to learn from the response other than, "You're stupid."

Kueid

Avant-garde
It's not even that the criticisms are dishonest they are just disguised attacks. They're not expanding the thought of the idea, but rather they are a wall of swords. Basically, there is nothing for the poster to learn from the response other than, "You're stupid."
Maybe they are and you are not seeing it.

Kueid

Avant-garde
My thought is that this sort of conversation isn't really keeping with the spirit of the forum. Mentally bashing people to death because they think differently from you is called indoctrination. Where it comes from is irrelevant...
What makes you think that that is the real reason?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
What makes you think that that is the real reason?

If the only reasoning acceptable to them is what they have already concluded then they are following a dogma. Whether you speak of Jesus, or Hitchens it is a faith argument. Real truth is rarely that absolute, and most people have valid reasons for their understandings of the world. If every X is a nutter you have joined this club. You aren't even considering other positions, so what is the point other than to simply be cruel?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It just seems that "unpopular" and "annoying" seem to generally go hand-in-hand.

I can agree with this in some cases, but I think someone is not being annoying to you just by being of a different mindset. For me, it is more that I try to figure out whether someone is internally consistent (aka, their words match their stated beliefs/ideas) than to judge them solely in relation to mine. Even if I don't see what use something would be for me it is pretty arbitrary to declare a thing useless.

Demonslayer

@Debater Slayer
2) I posted a comment about ghosts based on some IRL experiences... That turned into a turd slinging fest quick. It went from my intent (which was just to share a story) into a full point offensive vs me. I was told everything from I was psychotic. mistaken, that human experience isn't qualified evidence, etc. Really, it just got completely stupid. If anything, the only thing I learned is how low the IQ of the people I was speaking with could be. Mine is 138-140, on most tests in case you're wondering. If you think you have me intellectually outgunned in most cases because I am merely a theist or something, think again. There are plenty of religious folks with high IQ.

There are a lot of serial killers and psychotics with high IQ's too.

Last edited by a moderator:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
My thought is that this sort of conversation isn't really keeping with the spirit of the forum. Mentally bashing people to death because they think differently from you is called indoctrination. Where it comes from is irrelevant...
The way I look at it: if everyone is thinking the same, then no one is thinking. I would rather see people think and disagree than to see people's minds overtaken by the herd mentality.