• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Members with Unpopular Views

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Your breath smells like pickles and your shoes are too tight.
Oh, the good ole (NOT!) days of pregnancy! This is the stage between the "hitting your head on the toilet from passing out by leaning over too quickly to puke" stage and the "swollen ankles and 'roids" stage. Such fond memories....

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
I think if someone comes on here with views outside of the mainstream, some would say that fits all of us to a degree, you should hear them out but if it's something horrible they should be called out and have to answer for such beliefs. We all are human and have our red buttons and by extension my say something regrettable in the moment. However in life, not just on a forum, we all encounter someone so bad that you could have a warped twisted hatred for the baby Linx species but still be in a better mental state than a zealot.

Attachments

• linx.jpg
    linx.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 173

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Unpopular views are still views and demonizing them no matter what it is, instead of reasoning with the poster, is rude and unacceptable. I personally look down and don't respect such attitude. As long as the unpopular view is put respectfully and following the RF rules, demonizing it is breaking the rules of RF for going against the Forum Mission. I think who should be addressed are the short tempered radical angry beavers, not the unpopular views posters.

Kori

Unpopular views are still views and demonizing them no matter what it is, instead of reasoning with the poster, is rude and unacceptable. I personally look down and don't respect such attitude. As long as the unpopular view is put respectfully and following the RF rules, demonizing it is breaking the rules of RF for going against the Forum Mission. I think who should be addressed are the short tempered radical angry beavers, not the unpopular views posters.

But what if that view is horrible? I mean one can be civilized about some idea or belief that is just horrible. There is a difference between asking tough questions about a Religion and calling for that Religion or lack of a Religion to be destroyed. Yes one can be civilized about wanting a Religion to end.

Kori

@Mindmaster Along with judgement of what is acceptable and what is not. What I mean is anything unacceptable is anything anti-human decency.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'm not really concerned whether my views are unpopular or not. They are my views, not popular opinion.
In the rare event that I might think that a belief needs to be eradicated or destroyed, I'll use logical reasoning myself, instead of demonizing them in order to rouse a mob to destroy them.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
But what if that view is horrible? I mean one can be civilized about some idea or belief that is just horrible. There is a difference between asking tough questions about a Religion and calling for that Religion or lack of a Religion to be destroyed. Yes one can be civilized about wanting a Religion to end.

Then it can be reported or disagreed with and reasoned against. Getting back at what's believed to be horrible, with a horrible attitude, demeanor and behavior, is wrong. Rationality and civility should be distinctive features of us humans. At some point the holder of the supposed horrible view could have it out of innocent believe with the intention of causing harm. Firing back at them could make it even worse, while reasoning with them could at least actually do good and make them change their minds.

Here they are!
th

Oh I wish their were only two of them :p

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Most of those who complain about other members about supposedly unpopular ideas believe they are the "majority" but live in their own bubble, the complainers are almost always actually not the majority in the real world and often there are issues going on in their own bubble and then they project these onto others outside the bubble who do not share the same blame games.

One of the reasons this can become even more projected is due to expectations. For example, in America there is a holiday called "Thanksgiving" where the expectation is that friends and family gather for a meal together and give thanks for friends and family and food. But if instead it turns into a political forum around the dinner table and that old aunt starts loudly ragging on the Republicans because she is brainwashed that the Republicans want to steal her social security and then the Republican uncle starts reacting to the loud mouth about how the economy sucks because of taxes, and on and on, and instead of a gathering of friends and family to give thanks the Thanksgiving Dinner is now the Presidential Debates Live in At Your Dinner Table - well, next comes the complaining.

So politics is probably the most give and take, one side of ideas pitted against another, back and forth, and I would say emotional stage even more than, IMO, religion.

But as the saying goes, "don't discuss politics or religion around a dinner table (or sitting on the floor eating off banana leaves with others in the village)".

Complainers who complain about how dare someone not be them, really hate diversity. The biggest target is diversity of thought, look what's going on at the university campuses today where diversity of ideas and freedom of speech and universalism itself is totally under assault by complainers who live in a bubble and project their own problems on everyone else who are not into the complainer's blame game , and because they dare not parrot this blame game of the complainers then they are also now targetted for the gulags for also being the ones blamed for typically a problem that is totally the false narrative of the emotionally involved bubble-speak.

Expectations. I am a member of what I would argue is the most diverse religion in the world, Hinduism. In that Hindu world of the religious views and diverse paths, well when you have so much diversity you have the banter of "discussion" between one side or the other escalating into their own "war of words" all the time - but not by the typical masses of Hindus who just go from temple to temple and just like the devotion and the food and holiday celebrations and so on, Jai (fill in the blank, today it is Durga, tomorrow it is Ganesha, next day Rama, so everyone doesn't get into "debates" around the big bucket distributing porridge and sweet rice at the temple, or actually if they do sort of, how can I explain it? - "been there, done that"-"now where are the chapatis?" ...) ...

So I sort of live in a world of diversity of ideas and where a lot of banter goes on, war of words break out, I am very used to this type of world as nothing can get me to ever live in a bubble and narratives of "popular" and "unpopular" ideas from some who perhaps cannot handle diversity, sometimes I am right smack in the middle of a riot but believe me the riot isn't about popular verse unpopular. In my world, there is a saying that around the prashad (blessed food) being distributed at the temple while everyone is lined up sitting on the floor and eating with your right hand, "Never discuss cheese with rats, talk bread with birds or make moves with snakes". We are all Shaktas, Saivas, Vaishnavs, etc..

Yes, we see religious wars going on right now. And political wars. But in the saying "don't discuss politics or religion at the dinner table", it is about expectations and you will notice most of the time the word "politics" comes first in order of that old time maxim. And, it becomes totally an expected riot when you mix both in the expectation that it is supposed to be dinner time.

This forum is called "Religious Forums". The expectation is, I suppose - that was mine when I joined - the DIRS and discussions (hey! that rhymes - DIRS and discussions!), they are going to be about religion, various sections for one religion or another, maybe some room for fun stuff. But then you see these political DIRS and it sort of looks like they are getting all the action and all the complainers about someone else who doesn't blame the same way as another. I am a Hindu, I can handle diversity and riots as well, riot today - go to the sit down community meal tomorrow, no problem, there is no bubble here, it is front and center.

But some cannot. So I think, and have already advocated this, if politics is really the "situation", and this is supposed to be Religious Forums, maybe it would be better if it were only Religious Forums and get rid of the Political Forums entirely. Let us limit our normal night sticking to our venues of Title (capital T, viz RELIGIOUS forums) so we don't mess up someone's expectations. Sure, there will still be riots, but the expected ones. Some folks cannot handle BOTH religion and politics at one meal.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Most of those who complain about other members about supposedly unpopular ideas believe they are the "majority" but live in their own bubble, the complainers are almost always actually not the majority in the real world and often there are issues going on in their own bubble and then they project these onto others outside the bubble who do not share the same blame games.

One of the reasons this can become even more projected is due to expectations. For example, in America there is a holiday called "Thanksgiving" where the expectation is that friends and family gather for a meal together and give thanks for friends and family and food. But if instead it turns into a political forum around the dinner table and that old aunt starts loudly ragging on the Republicans because she is brainwashed that the Republicans want to steal her social security and then the Republican uncle starts reacting to the loud mouth about how the economy sucks because of taxes, and on and on, and instead of a gathering of friends and family to give thanks the Thanksgiving Dinner is now the Presidential Debates Live in At Your Dinner Table - well, next comes the complaining.

So politics is probably the most give and take, one side of ideas pitted against another, back and forth, and I would say emotional stage even more than, IMO, religion.

But as the saying goes, "don't discuss politics or religion around a dinner table (or sitting on the floor eating off banana leaves with others in the village)".

Complainers who complain about how dare someone not be them, really hate diversity. The biggest target is diversity of thought, look what's going on at the university campuses today where diversity of ideas and freedom of speech and universalism itself is totally under assault by complainers who live in a bubble and project their own problems on everyone else who are not into the complainer's blame game , and because they dare not parrot this blame game of the complainers then they are also now targetted for the gulags for also being the ones blamed for typically a problem that is totally the false narrative of the emotionally involved bubble-speak.

Expectations. I am a member of what I would argue is the most diverse religion in the world, Hinduism. In that Hindu world of the religious views and diverse paths, well when you have so much diversity you have the banter of "discussion" between one side or the other escalating into their own "war of words" all the time - but not by the typical masses of Hindus who just go from temple to temple and just like the devotion and the food and holiday celebrations and so on, Jai (fill in the blank, today it is Durga, tomorrow it is Ganesha, next day Rama, so everyone doesn't get into "debates" around the big bucket distributing porridge and sweet rice at the temple, or actually if they do sort of, how can I explain it? - "been there, done that"-"now where are the chapatis?" ...) ...

So I sort of live in a world of diversity of ideas and where a lot of banter goes on, war of words break out, I am very used to this type of world as nothing can get me to ever live in a bubble and narratives of "popular" and "unpopular" ideas from some who perhaps cannot handle diversity, sometimes I am right smack in the middle of a riot but believe me the riot isn't about popular verse unpopular. In my world, there is a saying that around the prashad (blessed food) being distributed at the temple while everyone is lined up sitting on the floor and eating with your right hand, "Never discuss cheese with rats, talk bread with birds or make moves with snakes". We are all Shaktas, Saivas, Vaishnavs, etc..

Yes, we see religious wars going on right now. And political wars. But in the saying "don't discuss politics or religion at the dinner table", it is about expectations and you will notice most of the time the word "politics" comes first in order of that old time maxim. And, it becomes totally an expected riot when you mix both in the expectation that it is supposed to be dinner time.

This forum is called "Religious Forums". The expectation is, I suppose - that was mine when I joined - the DIRS and discussions (hey! that rhymes - DIRS and discussions!), they are going to be about religion, various sections for one religion or another, maybe some room for fun stuff. But then you see these political DIRS and it sort of looks like they are getting all the action and all the complainers about someone else who doesn't blame the same way as another. I am a Hindu, I can handle diversity and riots as well, riot today - go to the sit down community meal tomorrow, no problem, there is no bubble here, it is front and center.

But some cannot. So I think, and have already advocated this, if politics is really the "situation", and this is supposed to be Religious Forums, maybe it would be better if it were only Religious Forums and get rid of the Political Forums entirely. Let us limit our normal night sticking to our venues of Title (capital T, viz RELIGIOUS forums) so we don't mess up someone's expectations. Sure, there will still be riots, but the expected ones. Some folks cannot handle BOTH religion and politics at one meal.

One other thought for the lonely hearts out there, but still keeping the religion in Religious Forums.

What we need is one section entrely dedicated to dating and marriage services but sectioned up by religious preference.

For example, "Chistian Dating and Marriage Services", "Hindu...", "Muslim...", etc., "Atheist...", "Arranged Marriage Services for (fill in the blank) Parents", you get the idea, even "Mixed Religion" dating and marriage services.

i.e., "Hi. My name is Jose. I am a Buddhist. But I want to go on a date with a female Muslim. I am looking for a long term relationship and marriage..."

In fact, I predict these dating and marriage services would be so popular on RF that the advertising revenue and membership fees would go right through the roof! Membership and revenues would both EXPLODE!

Kori

Then it can be reported or disagreed with and reasoned against. Getting back at what's believed to be horrible, with a horrible attitude, demeanor and behavior, is wrong. Rationality and civility should be distinctive features of us humans. At some point the holder of the supposed horrible view could have it out of innocent believe with the intention of causing harm. Firing back at them could make it even worse, while reasoning with them could at least actually do good and make them change their minds.

Using logic with someone who is not logical doesn't always work.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Using logic with someone who is not logical doesn't always work.

Here, you said it yourself; you said "doesn't always work" instead of "never works" or just "doesn't work". This probably means that you know it does work sometimes. We need to have faith and hope in humanity. Dunno if this helps or even works for you, but my teachings say that sometimes things upset us while they are the right thing to do. Also, it is not just logic our discussion is about, there is also understanding and tolerance. It happens sometimes that we do mistakes but get leniency in return and later we realize we were not in the right track thanks to that. Believe me, the impression we leave on others do have their virtues.

Kori

Here, you said it yourself; you said "doesn't always work" instead of "never works" or just "doesn't work". This probably means that you know it does work sometimes. We need to have faith and hope in humanity. Dunno if this helps or even works for you, but my teachings say that sometimes things upset us while they are the right thing to do. Also, it is not just logic our discussion is about, there is also understanding and tolerance. It happens sometimes that we do mistakes but get leniency in return and later we realize we were not in the right track thanks to that. Believe me, the impression we leave on others do have their virtues.

To be honest after wading through the garbage on youtube and twitter I have no hope for the human race. I mean look at the garbage accepted as interesting. Look at the non-sense. Look how people will fight on social media over what the weather is like. I do not know where civilization is going but youtube is a documentary of human waste of time, money, and energy.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
To be honest after wading through the garbage on youtube and twitter I have no hope for the human race. I mean look at the garbage accepted as interesting. Look at the non-sense. Look how people will fight on social media over what the weather is like. I do not know where civilization is going but youtube is a documentary of human waste of time, money, and energy.

I'm afraid you do have a good point there, my good friend.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member

Actually, the internet is a giant library. I mean, if you walk into the library around here, you will find a lot of books that some think are a human waste of time. Some say, Science Fiction Fantasy is a waste of time. But I like it off and on, and usually I have to go through all the front covers to try and use the artwork on the cover to get a feel of the book. As far as the internet, it doesn't matter that the library is big, just know how to use the search engines, that is all.

I like the internet, for example I can find old Sonny and Cher videos like I did today and post it to the "What are you listening to?" thread. I was on my big screen TV (a new one) and was playing with the "Internet" option and so now I can go on YouTube via my Internet option on my TV and play old Rolling Stones videos and stuff like that on my big screen and with nice audio - or religious devotionals, too.

It is pretty cool, actually. In my day, we didn't have cell phones. Do you know what a drag it was to be on some lonely road and if you had car problems you had to go and find a pay phone somewhere? Folks had to walk around with dimes in their pockets all the time for such contingencies. Now that I have a smartphone (and various mobile - including analog version, cell and smartphones over the years - I remember my first one, it was the size of my television controller and was analog and heavy as anything) I couldn't be without it. I love it. And I freak out if I lose it.

In fact most of my posting on this forum are done via the smartphone. In fact one of the last ones I posted, I was standing in the aisle of the "Religion" section of books in a used book store - and I just had to be creative at the moment, so ... 2 minutes later I am on the forum and then "out of there". That's why it may look like I am busy with posting a lot, but actually I am not. I just type whatever is on my mind from the smartphone to the forum and maybe I spend at most 15 minutes or less a day it is so convenient to do so. Also I have unlimited data connectivity, so I can just leave the browser on my smartphone open while I am walking around anywhere and what do I care? I have unlimited data, so I am not looking at the browser, I just leave it in "idle mode" with stuff open. Yes, I have antivirus and no I don't keep important stuff on my phone.

As far as "debates", there are a LOT of "forums" on the internet for that - and there are also a LOT of forums that are only ONE SUBJECT (theme) and do NOT mix Political subforums into the mix. For example, I am active sometimes on a forum dedicated to birds/bird watching and so on. Now, I have been at this only a few years (hmmm.... maybe four? meaning posting on forums - I have been active in all aspects of computer technology for decades and have created some good webpages but these were not forums, they had nothing to do with posting back and forth in a "conversation" type mode, though I did have some of the first BBS software on one of my computers and which I posted my tech notes for others to share and use), one of the first forums I was involved in (though I haven't been there for a long time) was a forum totally dedicated to the art of Johannes "Jan" Vermeer. So you can find what you want, it is out there and I don't see how anyone is ever going to change that now. I guess you are going to have to learn how to best take advantage of it.

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
... in fact, to add to my point - now you have the opportunity to, in some cases, become famous without having to go to some other "marketer" or such... for example, take music.

There was a girl who became a famous Hindi singer in India, and all she did was start posting her songs and music onto the internet - pretty sure it was YouTube, in fact it was. Now she has professional and marketed CDs.

Another happen to sing a song to a Guru at some event that was posted to the internet - now she is a full blown star in her own right.

YOU can TOUCH the world.

While, actually, I am NOT so all crazy over politics - yet once in a while in the early 1990s, I would FAX some of my "talking points/thoughts" over to a live radio broadcast host. He would actually take my stuff and READ portions of it out loud (though not quote me as the author) and it was pretty amazing actually to hear your stuff being said to literally thousands, no tens of thousands actually or more, across the airwaves. Some of the stuff the guy permanently used as part of his entourage of "word smithing" and I sort of made a difference in history in my own small way because now the guy is syndicated all over the United States and beyond, not saying I am the reason but I did contribute a bit of it.

Now with the internet, YOU can too. Good luck, and the only question is, who is your copilot?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think you're expecting too much of civilization.
If you lower your standards, things aren't so bad.