• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet J Bryson

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Bryson

Name: Jeffrey

Residence: Pasadena, CA

Age/DOB: March 30, 1970

Education/Occupation: After working as a professional tarot reader for seventeen years, I recently moved on from that path in order to take a temporary position as a nanny, and to go back to college with an eye towards divinity school. My current plans involve graduating as a Religious Studies major, and eventually becoming a UU parish minister.

Family: Divorced. Involved in a serious monogamous relationship. My local "family" consists of my two roommates, the seven year-old girl I take care of, and the members of my church.

Pets: None

Hobbies: Comic books, tabletop role-playing games, constant reading of whatever I can get my hands on.

Now that I have a minuscule amount of power on an internet site, I plan on becoming utterly insufferable, and forcing all of you to bow down before me. :p

Take care,

Jeffrey

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Welcome on board Jeffrey!

I'll start off with a couple of questions ;)

Which is your favorite deck?
What role playing games are you experienced with? which style do you like? (classic fantasy, horror, modern Gothic, Sci Fi, etc.)

J Bryson

My favorite deck is the Haindl Tarot. I find the multicultural aspect to be sincere and deep, and not simply a matter of "Let's throw in a hodgepodge of various occult and cultural imagery". Instead, the artist did a wonderful job of artistically showing the correlations and correspondences between religions and belief systems throughout the world, and in a manner accessible enough to apply these concepts to day-to-day life.

As far as RPGs go, I'm a bit of a whore: Give me a decent group to play with, and I'll run or play in most games out there. I tend to shy away from overly complex systems, as that can get in the way of the role-playing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Education/Occupation: After working as a professional tarot reader for seventeen years, I recently moved on from that path in order to take a temporary position as a nanny, and to go back to college with an eye towards divinity school. My current plans involve graduating as a Religious Studies major, and eventually becoming a UU parish minister.

Family: Divorced. Involved in a serious monogamous relationship. My local "family" consists of my two roommates, the seven year-old girl I take care of, and the members of my church.

Hobbies: Comic books, tabletop role-playing games, constant reading of whatever I can get my hands on.
Thanks for the info, Jeffrey! It's good to get to know more about you.

Now that I have a minuscule amount of power on an internet site, I plan on becoming utterly insufferable, and forcing all of you to bow down before me. :p
:bow: Allow me to be the first, and don't forget it!

J Bryson

I haven't been able to afford them lately. I've been a Batman fan since age five, so I'm always interested in keeping up with that. Secret Six is amazing, as is anything that Gail Simone puts her mind to.

My favorite series of all would have to be Preacher by Garth Ennis. I don't have words to describe what that series did to my brain.

blackout

Violet.
haha! you were a professional tarot card reader for 17 years!

gawd the amazing stuff you just don't know about people.
It doesn't really suprise me though.
Your responses are usually quite 'receptive' and telling.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My favorite deck is the Haindl Tarot. I find the multicultural aspect to be sincere and deep, and not simply a matter of "Let's throw in a hodgepodge of various occult and cultural imagery". Instead, the artist did a wonderful job of artistically showing the correlations and correspondences between religions and belief systems throughout the world, and in a manner accessible enough to apply these concepts to day-to-day life.
It does look like a very tasteful deck, nice choice!

As far as RPGs go, I'm a bit of a whore: Give me a decent group to play with, and I'll run or play in most games out there. I tend to shy away from overly complex systems, as that can get in the way of the role-playing.
I'm with you on trying just about anything with a decent group of people, but no specific genre or game you are particularly fond of?

Renji

Take care,

Jeffrey

Hi! MJ bless you!:D

Trey of Diamonds

I have not. It looks fascinating. Thanks for the hint.

They've done two story arcs, the first one is collected in a trade and I expect the second one to be released soon, possibly already since I have been to my LCS in a while. Some of the best writing and story telling I've seen in comics in many, many years.

On a side note, I'm an old D&D player, mostly 2nd edition and older, but I've recently picked up 4th edition and I've been enjoying it. I know about the big 3.5 vs 4 debate and I understand the 3.5 arguements but as an occasional DM I like how simple the 4th edition rules are. Also, I'm playing with our kids at church who are still at the hack and slash level so simple is good. They don't even know that all beautiful women in distress are dragons hidden by an illusion spell yet. But don't worry, I intend to teach them. Muhahahahahaha.

J Bryson

I'm with you on trying just about anything with a decent group of people, but no specific genre or game you are particularly fond of?

I have a fondness for Mage: The Ascension, as that was probably the most successful campaign I've run. Superhero RPGs are good, but it's hard to find one that really allows you to get the feel of a comic book without either using buckets of dice (Hero System) or forcing you into an unrealistically complex character creation process (DC Heroes). I've heard good things about Mutants and Masterminds, though, and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

I also have a copy of Demon Hunters, and I'd love to play it, but I haven't been able to work out a schedule and place with my friends.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Important questions :cool::
What's your favorite Batman story? Like The Long Halloween or his JL stuff or...?
Favorite Batman artist and writer to date?
Do you like anything else Ennis has done?
And why does parking in Pasadena suck so bad?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Welcome! Is there a lot of business out there for professional Tarot readers? Is there a "typical" customer for that service?

J Bryson

Important questions :cool::
What's your favorite Batman story? Like The Long Halloween or his JL stuff or...?
Favorite Batman artist and writer to date?
Do you like anything else Ennis has done?
And why does parking in Pasadena suck so bad?

Sorry this took so long to get to: Meat life threw me a few curves.

Favorite Batman story: Hard to say, really. I like how he was portrayed in Kingdom Come, but that wasn't my favorite story. Let me get back to you on that. It may be Son of the Demon
Batman writer/artist: Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams, no doubt.
The Hellblazer run by Ennis is what first got me into his work, and still takes my breath away.
Parking in Pasadena sucks because we're essentially a small town, but with the population of an L.A. bedroom community.

Status
Not open for further replies.