• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation Tips for People Who Don’t (Yet) Like to Meditate

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you're all well.

How many of you have heard of the benefits of regular meditation but don't actually get around to practicing it?

I never thought I would! I used to think meditation about making your mind "go blank" and wondered why on earth ANYONE would bother ...

Here is an article that may interest some of you.

5 Meditation Tips for People Who Don’t (Yet) Like to Meditate

Try it - what have you got to lose? :)

Feel free to add your own advice for beginners ...

Wishing you all the best!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are many forms of meditation - the witness, for example, Or if one believes in a an Avatar or Christ, meditating on some divine quality such as compassion while gazing at a representation of that person. Mantra, repeating a name of God or a divine quality, is a form of meditation.

Not every form is best for everyone all the time. So it's best if someone has a knowledgeable source of guidance and feedback.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There are many forms of meditation - the witness, for example, Or if one believes in a an Avatar or Christ, meditating on some divine quality such as compassion while gazing at a representation of that person. Mantra, repeating a name of God or a divine quality, is a form of meditation.

Not every form is best for everyone all the time. So it's best if someone has a knowledgeable source of guidance and feedback.

Spot on - it takes some experimenting to find wwhat works with your own unique personality.

So make lots of experiments!

ralphwaldoemerson1.jpg

Best of luck!

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Meditation is learning to pay attention. You probably learned some helpful techniques for paying attention in grade school:
  • Remain seated
  • Sit up straight
  • Eyes forward
  • Fold your hands
  • Sit still
  • Focus on the task at hand
When you first start, you can start paying attention to your breath. You can move on to paying attention to your body, or paying attention to your thoughts, or paying attention to your emotions as they rise and fall. Once you get that down, you can start focusing on your psychological garbage, and how to fix it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hope you're all well.

How many of you have heard of the benefits of regular meditation but don't actually get around to practicing it?

I never thought I would! I used to think meditation about making your mind "go blank" and wondered why on earth ANYONE would bother ...

Here is an article that may interest some of you.

5 Meditation Tips for People Who Don’t (Yet) Like to Meditate

Try it - what have you got to lose? :)

Feel free to add your own advice for beginners ...

Wishing you all the best!

I go to a Buddhist forum and one member posted this video that may be of interest.

Enjoy.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Once you get that down, you can start focusing on your psychological garbage, and how to fix it.
So true.

I wonder, doesn't anyone have fun while they are meditating? So often, it looks so dreary and serious.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I personally do some tantric meditation but I've also always had experimentation and experience with meditation that involves playing off of lucid dreams and fuzzy states between awake and asleep, and music as well. I find there is some bleed over with hypnosis techniques as well.

Anyways, I thought I'd drop a source as well for those less religiously inclined who might find this of use if they are interested in meditation.

Nueroscientist and famous skeptic Sam Harris has a post about some meditation: How to Meditate

"Given my primary audience—students of science, secularists, nonbelievers, etc.—these queries usually come bundled with the worry that most traditional teachings about meditation must be intellectually suspect."

"But not all contemplative paths kindle the same doubts. There are, in fact, many methods of meditation and “spiritual” inquiry that can greatly enhance our well being without requiring that we believe anything on insufficient evidence.

For beginners, I always recommend a technique called vipassana (Pali, “insight”), which comes from the oldest tradition of Buddhism, the Theravada. The advantage of vipassanais that it can be taught in an entirely secular way."

Kapalika

Premium Member
Those are prostrations. Not meditation. You've entered the wrong
area.
To get to prostrations, just go down the street, crossover two red lights and make a left. Down a ways, can't miss it.

I know this wasn't to me but having tried prostrations with some instruction I can say it isn't for me. I don't like all that... moving.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
First meditation experience.....

Screaming monkey throws oxhearding pictures in the air and runs screaming to and fro admist the fluttering pieces making all sorts of faces.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Honestly I do better with walking meditation. Go into the woods or on a mountain and just start walking. It's real easy for me to get into a meditative state while walking.

I just come here, turn off my brain, & start posting.
Is that meditating?
It is most certainly a form of zen.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder, doesn't anyone have fun while they are meditating? So often, it looks so dreary and serious.

I do. Perhaps I don't look like it when I'm meditating (unless I'm walking or cycling). But I do have fun.

Or maybe that's just in my head...