• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meditation in Quarantine

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Given that I'm a strong extrovert, my three weeks of quarantine have so far been quite draining on my mental well-being. However, during this time, meditation has served as an immensely helpful self-isolation companion. I have been practicing meditation to various extents for several years, but never as frequently or as deeply as now.

My main meditation so far has been the mindful type, and I also like to do loving-kindness meditation when I start to feel almost overwhelmed by stress or loneliness. I'm looking into practicing more types as well given that I should have enough time right now.

What kinds of meditation, if any, have you been practicing in quarantine? How helpful have they been?

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Given that I'm a strong extrovert, my three weeks of quarantine have so far been quite draining on my mental well-being. However, during this time, meditation has served as an immensely helpful self-isolation companion. I have been practicing meditation to various extents for several years now, but never as frequently or as deeply as now.

My main meditation so far has been the mindful type, and I also like to do loving-kindness meditation when I start to feel almost overwhelmed by stress or loneliness. I'm looking into practicing more types as well given that I should have enough time right now.

What kinds of meditation, if any, have you been practicing in quarantine? How helpful have they been?

With a family of 3 kids and a hubby to contend with during lock down, all i can manage is 20 minutes mild yoga before pandemonium sets in so full on meditation... No, sorry.

But i do find the yoga helps clear my mind as well as tones by body, which is currently in need of serious toning

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Given that I'm a strong extrovert, my three weeks of quarantine have so far been quite draining on my mental well-being. However, during this time, meditation has served as an immensely helpful self-isolation companion. I have been practicing meditation to various extents for several years now, but never as frequently or as deeply as now.

I've been doing the opposite of meditation -- moving money around to poach all the markets that are seriously undervalued. :D

Though, I don't do meditation for anything but spiritual reasons and use it as a form of prayer. That I tend to do every day if possible. :D

Anyway, where I'm at the only people who have the crap are in the big city so you just don't hang out with those folks and keep your contact surface small and you'll be fine.

Jedster

The simplest form of mediation I use is one of simply following my breathe in the up and down movement.
My only advice is not to struggle with with trying to stop thoughts but rather slowly bring your attention attention back to the breathe. Oh yes, and don't try to 'kill the ego' as many people have said.
I've been doing it for years and find it effective,( it actually helped liberate me from strong theism but that is another subject).
Anyway, it sounds to me that you are doing just fine.

Stay well.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I rely on Arts of the Way (Martial Arts). Mine are very dynamic and rigorous using a one meter Tang Dynasty sword. These are free form using imagery, and combining basic moves. These are forms I developed myself through my arts Shunyatado (Way of Nothingness.

For others finding video sources to follow basic Martial Arts forms.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I’ve been is self-quarantine since Sunday afternoon. I’ve been practicing Vedantic meditation, primarily on Self-awareness for a few hours each day.

In between sessions, I’ve been studying the Bhagavad Gita.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

I've been in self isolation for 10 days so far. Like you, my meditation practice has really ramped up to calm the anxiety and settle the body and mind.

I start with a formal breath meditation for 10 minutes and then move into a body scan. Then I go for a walk in my woods and use mindful listening, seeing and walking for a couple hours. It is easy after several years of practice and easy to learn for anyone really open to trying it.

There are free apps which teach you with guided meditations as you know. I have been using them again they are a good reminder and also comforting to hear the voice. So that is what is different, using the apps again to get started in the morning. I also like the loving kindness exercise and a few other guided sessions along those lines right now which I don't normally use.

It is amazing how well they work almost instantly when the anxiety or restlessness strikes. An excellent tool for anyone's toolbox.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I practice Taiji as meditation. Very much like this. The whole body moves starting and stopping together. It's like floating in space when you are able to be fully relaxed. But even just watching this, it should help one to breath and relax.

It's easy to do this in smaller spaces. "Jailhouse Taiji" they call that for those who are locked in a cell. But if the weather is nice, I go out in the sun in the backyard, away from other humans, with just the squirrels and rabbits as company.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I’ve been is self-quarantine since Sunday afternoon. I’ve been practicing Vedantic meditation, primarily on Self-awareness for a few hours each day.

In between sessions, I’ve been studying the Bhagavad Gita.

I realized to didn’t answer the second question.

I was suffering from pretty severe burnout from work and that was having an adverse impact on all facets of my life. The practices mentioned above have been key in helping me to regain focus.

Rational Agnostic

The only form of "meditation" that I practice is the act of noticing my own thoughts and emotions. I started this after watching a video where Sam Harris discussed the power of noticing thoughts and emotions, and how all suffering is caused by being "lost in thought" i.e. thinking without realizing you are thinking. So, the negative emotions (anger, agitation, anxiety, sadness, etc.) still come, but once you notice them and focus purely on the sensations, they disappear pretty quickly. But, it does take a lot of practice. I'm pretty sure we are evolved by natural selection to be consumed by our thoughts and emotions and not notice them.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This thread is an inspiration to me. I've been practicing the opposite. You know, the classic, "I have to correct all the errors that people are repeating on the internet".

Jedster

This thread is an inspiration to me. I've been practicing the opposite. You know, the classic, "I have to correct all the errors that people are repeating on the internet".

Indeed, it is great that you are freed from said responsibility.
Now is time for you.

“Don't Worry Be Happy” MB:)