• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage sucks!

Marriage sucks?

• In my experience or opinion, I lean towards "yes"

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • In my experience or opinion, I lean towards "no"

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Even marriages that don't suck, still strike me as being extremely challenging, hard work, and something that requires two very mature people who are willing to put up with the disgusting condition of being a human being , and all the flaws that come with that condition.

The reason the title of the OP is "marriage sucks" , is because it's based off of the marriages I have seen a lot of first-hand! My mother was married 4 times and cheating on my Dad, is currently divorced, and she and my Dad still hate each other, and they split up about 30 years ago.

After the split up, a vicious custody battle followed, my Dad lost, and he kidnapped us and took us to Fatima Portugal to try and raise us there illegally. The plan was foiled. I thought it was a summer field trip across the ocean! I didn't know we were kidnapped, until the hotel we were staying in the basement of, the owners informed us the police were looking for us!

My older brother's marriage and divorce was just ugly. My sister's marriage gave her permanent PTSD, and her husband was extremely abusive even to the point of violently ravaging her. Her husband died in a drunken car wreck!

My younger brother's marriage sounds like it sucks! I certainly wouldn't want such a marriage!

My younger sister's , I simply don't know anything about.

I am the only of my siblings that hasn't been married. I found the woman I was certain I was called to marry, who I still love more than all creatures on earth combined, and I jumped off a three story building onto concrete over her, literally fell for her (breaking many bones) spent ten weeks in a wheelchair over her, and tried to get with her again, and it turned into a nightmare!

Marriage just strikes me as something you really need to be mature and ready to put your hand to the plow to succeed at!

But if you are @SalixIncendium , you successfully complete all of them, and I guess my hats off to you for that. That counts to bring them to completion and call it a success! :D

Does anyone here plan on staying unmarried for the rest of their lives? I would say without Divine intervention, yes. In fact, Paul in Scripture declares the single life is a higher vocation potentially than the married one! ;)

Choose the best answer in the poll

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Does anyone here plan on staying unmarried for the rest of their lives? I would say without Divine intervention, yes. In fact, Paul in Scripture declares the single life is a higher vocation potentially than the married one!
I've consider celibacy for my whole life. But decided only to swear it for 3 years at this time maybe gradually choose to up it if i so wish since im only 19

VoidCat

Marriage sucks only if the people in it feel it sucks. It's not for me at the moment but some enjoy it. It don't suck for them. And some just dont like marriage.

VoidCat

It's a fantasy. It doesn't exist. Any relationship takes work, Love should be there, but "true love™" is a myth perpetuated by the media and romance culture.
THANK YOU! I've been saying that to people for a while. Also not everyone wants romance and some believe you can love more then one person.

VoidCat

One thing i dont get is people who complain all the time about being married and insult their spouse in a "joking" manner. Like someone going "Oh yeah the wife? Yeah I just get to listen to her ***** all the time" and just they go on and on and continously joke about how terrible marriage is. If they dont like it and are gonna complain all the time why are they married??? Why not get a divorce?

VoidCat

One thing i dont get is people who complain all the time about being married and insult their spouse in a "joking" manner. Like someone going "Oh yeah the wife? Yeah I just get to listen to her ***** all the time" and just they go on and on and continously joke about how terrible marriage is. If they dont like it and are gonna complain all the time why are they married??? Why not get a divorce?
Complaining all the time about a marriage seems to be a good way to wreck it

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Marriage is a state of mind. I have not married my partner (in the legal or religious sense), but I am completely married to him in my own heart. And the fact that he has suffered a very serious illness (25 years into our relationship) that now makes me his caregiver does not take anything away from the love that first bound me to him.

My marriage does not suck. My marriage is as strong as it ever was, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's a fantasy. It doesn't exist. Any relationship takes work, Love should be there, but "true love™" is a myth perpetuated by the media and romance culture.
You are quite wrong, you know. "True love" is nothing more than caring about the well-being of another person at least as much as you care about the well-being of yourself.

You don't have to do anything -- you just have to care.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You are quite wrong, you know. "True love" is nothing more than caring about the well-being of another person at least as much as you care about the well-being of yourself.

You don't have to do anything -- you just have to care.

That's not what's peddled as True Love™.

But that is true Love. ;)

Bird123

Even marriages that don't suck, still strike me as being extremely challenging, hard work, and something that requires two very mature people who are willing to put up with the disgusting condition of being a human being , and all the flaws that come with that condition.

The reason the title of the OP is "marriage sucks" , is because it's based off of the marriages I have seen a lot of first-hand! My mother was married 4 times and cheating on my Dad, is currently divorced, and she and my Dad still hate each other, and they split up about 30 years ago.

After the split up, a vicious custody battle followed, my Dad lost, and he kidnapped us and took us to Fatima Portugal to try and raise us there illegally. The plan was foiled. I thought it was a summer field trip across the ocean! I didn't know we were kidnapped, until the hotel we were staying in the basement of, the owners informed us the police were looking for us!

My older brother's marriage and divorce was just ugly. My sister's marriage gave her permanent PTSD, and her husband was extremely abusive even to the point of violently ravaging her. Her husband died in a drunken car wreck!

My younger brother's marriage sounds like it sucks! I certainly wouldn't want such a marriage!

I am the only of my siblings that hasn't been married. I found the woman I was certain I was called to marry, who I still love more than all creatures on earth combined, and I jumped off a three story building onto concrete over her, literally fell for her (breaking many bones) spent ten weeks in a wheelchair over her, and tried to get with her again, and it turned into a nightmare!

Marriage just strikes me as something you really need to be mature and ready to put your hand to the plow to succeed at!

But if you are @SalixIncendium , you successfully complete all of them, and I guess my hats off to you for that. That counts to bring them to completion and call it a success! :D

Does anyone here plan on staying unmarried for the rest of their lives? I would say without Divine intervention, yes. In fact, Paul in Scripture declares the single life is a higher vocation potentially than the married one! ;)

Marriage can be troublesome if you are married to the wrong one.

People are constantly wanting to have it made. To expect this, you will always find disappointment.

Life is about learning and growing as people. The one you marry is one to help you with this. So often growth takes struggling through challenges and problems. Will you run at the first sign of trouble or will you work through it?

Since it is about learning and growing, I often say if you never argue or disagree with your mate, you have the wrong one.

Many times people marry those just like themselves. I find that a big mistake. Since you already know yourself, how long will it take to get bored in the relationship? Perhaps that is why opposites attract. Both need to meet in the middle.

All relationships take communication and work. To expect anything else, I don't think a relationship is what you really want.

True Love does exist. It is a Love you will not be able to say no to for very long. One must always be open for True Love for it tends to show up when one least expects it. Patience is also in order for sometimes True Love will not show up until later in life when one is truly ready.

You know you have the right one when you find you are never lonely around them. Further, no matter the adversity it is always Glorious.

Finally, I knew a couple that got divorced and remarried 5 times. Yes, they had a power struggle going on. They finally realized they were meant for each other and divorcing was just feeding lawyers. They settled in right nicely.

It's a good example of True Love. They came to realize that even through all the trouble it was Glorious. The Heaven was always there. They just had to make it more important than ruling, controlling and blaming each other. Yes, the petty things mankind holds so dear can cause lots of problems until one understands them for what they really are.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
True love is for better or worse, no matter what may come, taking nothing for granted, if you love someone that much, and they feel the same way then it's real, otherwise it is a fantasy. In the world today I don't often see such commitment, nor desire for it. There's no guarantee of it.

People want the pleasure, the beauty, the good times, the chemistry, the perks, and advantages. When those are gone, so are they.

True love is the loneliest road, and you may never find it in another, ever. When a person desires true love it becomes real to them. If they are fortunate beyond words then someone else feels the same way back, then it's real.

Inner beauty does happen though. I've seen some that learn it, and after everything glorious fades, they still got it. It survives the faults, screw ups, and failures. It overcomes things. It suffers tragedy.

There is like a glass house false version of it that is like a fairie tale.

Nothing wrong with a fairie tale, but true love is some kind of sacrifice, that isn't always pretty and glorious.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I like being married.

I hear a lot about "you need to be stable" and blah blah blah.... when I met my husband, I had serious issues due to anxiety. He was a homeless beach bum; only 23. I refer to him as my vacation souvenir. I went away on a trip, picked him up, got married. Neither one of us were stable(and he wasn't mature, but its no secret I like young, dumb, and clumsy). We could do better together than we did apart, though.

Being married to the right person is a blessing. It can be work, and it takes sacrifice, but any relationship that is to last does(whether its a romantic relationship, friendship, or familial relationship). Life is work. You just have to choose where to put the energy in. For some, marriage isn't where its at. That's okay. For others, its one of the most positives places to expend energy.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I've been married to the same man for 29 years, and he is my true love and my soulmate. My husband isn't just a part of my life, he is my life, and my whole world is centered around him and our children. I'll be honest and admit that it hasn't always been a bed of roses in my marriage, but my husband and I weathered the storms of life together. In spite of our own personal flaws and conflicts, we are perfect together. We compliment each other, and we complete each other. There have been times when we get mad at each other and say things in anger that we shouldn't say, but we work it out and forgive. We're much stronger together. He has been my strong anchor and refuge in life's turbulent storms for thirty years now, and he is my lifeline. I can't imagine my life without him.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

Marriage sucks. Well, more exactly, I'd suck at being married.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Never married, but answered No, looking at some friends and their marriages, but I get much my understanding of such from Les Dawson: :oops: