• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Many Religions Make for a Better World than One (or None)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
lets use Krishna as an example, as Krishna is closer to home for you.

I'm not a Vaishnavite Hindu, so Krishna isn't close to me at all. I would strongly advise you to do some serious research outside of the Baha'i library if you want to communicate with people of other faiths on some level. Otherwise there is no meeting ground.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm not a Vaishnavite Hindu, so Krishna isn't close to me at all. I would strongly advise you to do some serious research outside of the Baha'i library if you want to communicate with people of other faiths on some level. Otherwise there is no meeting ground.

Please be advised I did not say that at all. I just used Krishna as a example. We could use Zorastor instead, or Buddha, or Abraham, David.

Or just use Messenger.

Peace be with you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Please be advised I did not say that at all. I just used Krishna as a example. We could use Zorastor instead, or Buddha, or Abraham, David.

Or just use Messenger.

Peace be with you.
I don't believe in messengers of any kind. Simply not necessary. In Hinduism (my version, and most versions) we believe in wise men. This sounds way too much like the long thread discussion I had with Tony. Before I get dragged into it again, I think I'll quit. Baha'i folks, with their infallibility, are generally not very capable of seeing outside that box. (I have found a couple of exceptions, thankfully) But with an infallible prophet and unwavering blind faith, coupled with a lack of understanding of the diversity of mankind, it's like talking to a brick wall. I do hope you find someone that might like to engage you for awhile. But it isn't going to be me, sorry.

Shad

Veteran Member
We went fishing, played pick up ball with other atheists, or visited relatives. It was great. Some of the most cherished moments of my childhood were Sunday mornings.

I got hard pews. I asked for a cushion once. /glare. Toss in Charlie Brown saxophone noise for the sermon.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't believe in messengers of any kind. Simply not necessary. In Hinduism (my version, and most versions) we believe in wise men. This sounds way too much like the long thread discussion I had with Tony. Before I get dragged into it again, I think I'll quit. Baha'i folks, with their infallibility, are generally not very capable of seeing outside that box. (I have found a couple of exceptions, thankfully) But with an infallible prophet and unwavering blind faith, coupled with a lack of understanding of the diversity of mankind, it's like talking to a brick wall. I do hope you find someone that might like to engage you for awhile. But it isn't going to be me, sorry.

Hey no worries about that . All good, as each will have their own journey and I will always wish you well in yours, no matter what your aim is in life.

Best not to talk about faith if becomes a disagreement.

Peace be with you.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There have been studies of children found in isolation who have survived without parents or education. These cases would suggest your stance is incorrect. Without nurture and education a human is basically an animal bound to nature.

Firstly, there are very few of these cases, and secondly, it might say more about lack of social contact than anything else. Babies apparently do show social feelings towards other babies, and concern for their crying, for example. So the cases cited probably say more about unusual circumstances than it being quite normal.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hey no worries about that . All good, as each will have their own journey and I will always wish you well in yours, no matter what your aim is in life.

Best not to talk about faith if becomes a disagreement.

Peace be with you.

I just realised who you are, with a poorly disguised name. Sheesh, I'm dumb.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Antony is my name :), Tony is the short version. I learnt a lot from you and I will always be thankful.

The world is a very interesting place! ;)

Peace be with you.
Word on the street was you were banned. Welcome back I guess.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Every so often, someone will voice the opinion that the world would be better off if everybody followed some particular religion. The reasons why someone supposes this vary somewhat, but essentially boil down to the belief that this religion is the best way or even the only true way. Similar opinions are voiced in the name of irreligion when we hear someone state the world would be better off if nobody followed any religions at all. That opinion also holds the assumption that their way is the best way or perhaps the only true way. In both cases, accepting these opinions as true would mean discarding any potential value that religious diversity has for humanity. That's quite the tall order indeed, as it doesn't take much to recognize that many religions - religious diversity - makes for a better world than one religion or none at all.

There are various ways one could argue the case for this, but I'm going to borrow from an author I read regularly who is the inspiration for this thread. The list below is inspired by that work, but also different from it, but to give credit where credit is due, that article is here (A World With Many Religions is Better Than a World With Only One).

• All religions have something beautiful to offer. Further, the ways in which these religions are beautiful are different. That is, if you remove any one of them, you loose something amazing. This isn't to say all these religions don't also have their ugly sides, but is it really worth loosing that beauty to remove some blemishes? Talk about throwing out the seeds with the soil.
  • One religion (or none at all) is not a sustainable condition. History shows us what happens when humans lack choices, as our nature begs for options. Attempts at monopolies fail - the authoritarian structure become corrupt over time, and people beg for something different when the monopoly inevitably fails to meet someone's particular needs. One way cannot last and will fragment into many. So why try and force a monopoly of religion (or irreligion) in the first place?
  • There's no way to know if something is the "One True Way". Many hearken to the notion of one religion for all (or no religions for anyone) because they want certainty. There is no such certainty to be had. If there is a "best" or "right" way, we'll never agree on what that is or know if we've found it. We can only know what is "best" or "right" for us and our communities right now... and that answer can chance over time. A monopoly doesn't give you options when your needs change.
Thoughts?

many examples are necessary sometimes given the differences in space/time experiences of the observers. not everyone comes to the table from the same place. if the observer can rise above environmental biases they could see cultivation comes in a myriad number of forms and results. a wider variety of food stuff is healthier for the body.

manna from heaven for the hungry, the curious.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Many Religions Make for a Better World than One (or None)
Religion is irrelevant. What makes a better world is people making the world a better world, regardless of their spiritual views. I doubt religion has contributed to this considering the genocides committed in the name of religion and the wholesale rejection of people not adhering to the same religion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion is irrelevant. What makes a better world is people making the world a better world, regardless of their spiritual views. I doubt religion has contributed to this considering the genocides committed in the name of religion and the wholesale rejection of people not adhering to the same religion.

I'm not sure you're quite following the intent of the opening post (and perhaps did not read it at all), because religion cannot be irrelevant with respect to what the opening post (and the topic of this thread) is about. This is not a "religion vs irreligion" thread.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Every so often, someone will voice the opinion that the world would be better off if everybody followed some particular religion. The reasons why someone supposes this vary somewhat, but essentially boil down to the belief that this religion is the best way or even the only true way. Similar opinions are voiced in the name of irreligion when we hear someone state the world would be better off if nobody followed any religions at all. That opinion also holds the assumption that their way is the best way or perhaps the only true way. In both cases, accepting these opinions as true would mean discarding any potential value that religious diversity has for humanity. That's quite the tall order indeed, as it doesn't take much to recognize that many religions - religious diversity - makes for a better world than one religion or none at all.

There are various ways one could argue the case for this, but I'm going to borrow from an author I read regularly who is the inspiration for this thread. The list below is inspired by that work, but also different from it, but to give credit where credit is due, that article is here (A World With Many Religions is Better Than a World With Only One).

• All religions have something beautiful to offer. Further, the ways in which these religions are beautiful are different. That is, if you remove any one of them, you loose something amazing. This isn't to say all these religions don't also have their ugly sides, but is it really worth loosing that beauty to remove some blemishes? Talk about throwing out the seeds with the soil.
  • One religion (or none at all) is not a sustainable condition. History shows us what happens when humans lack choices, as our nature begs for options. Attempts at monopolies fail - the authoritarian structure become corrupt over time, and people beg for something different when the monopoly inevitably fails to meet someone's particular needs. One way cannot last and will fragment into many. So why try and force a monopoly of religion (or irreligion) in the first place?
  • There's no way to know if something is the "One True Way". Many hearken to the notion of one religion for all (or no religions for anyone) because they want certainty. There is no such certainty to be had. If there is a "best" or "right" way, we'll never agree on what that is or know if we've found it. We can only know what is "best" or "right" for us and our communities right now... and that answer can chance over time. A monopoly doesn't give you options when your needs change.
Thoughts?

In the secular subjects/matters my religion namely Ahmadiyya peaceful Islam, does not claim that. For progress in the world everybody of religion or no-religion , all humans have to endeavor jointly and also for co-existence of the human race.

My religion's stress is on the life in hereafter.

Regards
[2:201]
And when you have performed the acts of worship prescribed for you, celebrate the praises of Allah as you celebrated the praises of your fathers, or even more than that. And of men there are some who say, ‘Our Lord, grant us good things in this world;’ and such a one shall have no share in the Hereafter.
[2:202]
And of them there are some who say: ‘Our Lord, grant us good in this world as well as good in the world to come, and protect us from the torment of the Fire.’
The Holy Quran - Chapter: 2: Al-Baqarah

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The religious you or someone else follows shouldn't affect me at all. Unless it does, then we have a problem.

The problem with none or one, I don't see how that could be accomplished without forcing a set of beliefs on folks they might not want.
"The problem with none or one, I don't see how that could be accomplished without forcing a set of beliefs on folks they might not want." Unquote

My truthful religion namely Ahmadiyya peaceful Islam does not force anything on other religions or non-religions. We provide reasons and signs peacefully that may convince them heart and soul, else they don't need to be with us. This is done in love for humanity so they are not deprived of Truth without knowing.

Regards
[2:257]
There should be no compulsion in religion. Surely, right has become distinct from wrong; so whosoever refuses to be led by those who transgress, and believes in Allah, has surely grasped a strong handle which knows no breaking. And Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
That's a point the author of the article which inspired this thread didn't really touch upon, but its an important one. They were responding to an unusual influx of preachers and proselytizers, and I think for those folks they are under the impression that if they say the right words, those of us following the "wrong" religion will see the light and convert. That is to say, to them it is not a forceful process. It's "opening their eyes to the truth" or whatnot.
"if they say the right words, those of us following the "wrong" religion will see the light and convert. That is to say, to them it is not a forceful process. It's 'opening their eyes to the truth' " Unquote.

Yes, it is the correct approach from the point of view of my religion namely Ahmadiyya peaceful Islam.

Regards

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
accepting these opinions as true would mean discarding any potential value that religious diversity has for humanity. That's quite the tall order indeed, as it doesn't take much to recognize that many religions - religious diversity - makes for a better world than one religion or none at all.
You seem to assume religious diversity is the superior viewpoint, and that the other two possible viewpoints are inferior to this. (These other two options are either: (1) having only one religion, or (2) having no religion at all.) And I assume you are referring to society at large and the best and proper way of ordering it.

I prefer to view the issue in terms of whether someone and their viewpoint, whatever it may be, is exploiting others by demanding they agree, and with how we build a just society without doing this. The question has nothing to do with religious diversity but, rather, with people treating each other with respect.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
All religions have something beautiful to offer. Further, the ways in which these religions are beautiful are different. That is, if you remove any one of them, you loose something amazing.
Just because something is beautiful doesn't mean we should saturate the world with it. And by removing one beautiful religion, you may be making the world an even better place by saturating it with an even better religion than the one you discarded. Thus, we should get rid of all but the best religion to maximize the beauty.

Also, we can't just ignore the ugly side of religion just because it has a beautiful. If all religions have an ugly side, then getting rid of them all will make the world a more beautify place by removing all the ugliness.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"The problem with none or one, I don't see how that could be accomplished without forcing a set of beliefs on folks they might not want." Unquote

My truthful religion namely Ahmadiyya peaceful Islam does not force anything on other religions or non-religions. We provide reasons and signs peacefully that may convince them heart and soul, else they don't need to be with us. This is done in love for humanity so they are not deprived of Truth without knowing.

Regards
[2:257]
There should be no compulsion in religion. Surely, right has become distinct from wrong; so whosoever refuses to be led by those who transgress, and believes in Allah, has surely grasped a strong handle which knows no breaking. And Allah is All-Hearing, All-Knowing.

Can someone be peaceful, righteous, a person of good standing without God?